The Newbie Forum The place where you should introduce yourself. Do not ask technical questions here, use the site forum sections.

german 68 442 fan - is it a trap?

Search this Thread

Old October 1st, 2013, 09:22 AM

german 68 442 fan - is it a trap?

Hey greetings from Germany!

American Muscle fan here, living round the city Volkswagen is from and belive me most people hate my taste of cars.

Ive got all together, now the Olds shall come, BUT the candidate car seems to be not correct.

Im on my way to buy a 68er 442 convertible. It has bench seats and column shifter, 455cui block, 750er edelbrock carb, edelbrock intakemanifold, extractors, TH-400

The guy who sells this thing says its the original engine and the stock th-400. He even is sure that the numbers on all match.

If hte numbers are correct, what is this car? How can the 455 block be stock in a 68 442.

The TH-400 is the other thing, I thought 442 means 4 carbs, 4 gears and 2 flt exhaust. But does this means 4 forward gears and includes the reverse one?

The rear bumper on the pic seems not to have the extra cutouts, but this can be modified by some owner.

how much (in percent) decreses the value of the car if its a cutless with aftermarket 455cui?

technically it will be no problem, and the mods done to the car are cool, I like them, but I think sth. wrong.

Wow this was much information, but i need your help. Here in germany the us-mechs are not that into every detail of every olds... :S

cheers, Notchback (cuz of my notch fiero and say what you want, i LOVE this car :P)
Old October 1st, 2013, 09:28 AM
morgan

i would be careful...no 68's came from the factory with a 455 unless it was the H/O so right off the bat the guy is giving you a story....post some pics if you can
Old October 1st, 2013, 09:31 AM

Cool thanks for fast reply.

H/O Convertible? Ive never heared about such a thing...

Wait, pix are on its way
Old October 1st, 2013, 09:31 AM

Greetings to the forum!

So you're from Wolfsburg?

I'm thinking of moving to Either Munchen or Osterreich, how hard is to get a 4-4-2 Cutlass plated and able to drive on the road in Germany?

if i do move to germany, we can start a 4-4-2 Car Club

Tchuss,

-Tony
Old October 1st, 2013, 09:44 AM

Okay the car will be sold absolute complete (even the decals, i know about pricings in good old europe...)

The roof is one thing i do in my hall, gotta 80 squaremeters hall with crane and everything i need. I want to do it black.

paint is not original, but very well done after disassemblation
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
olds1.jpg (50.7 KB, 93 views)
olds4.jpg (45.9 KB, 83 views)
olds3.jpg (51.2 KB, 82 views)
olds5.jpg (50.8 KB, 80 views)
olds6.jpg (43.6 KB, 85 views)
Old October 1st, 2013, 09:51 AM

Originally Posted by Tony72Cutlass'S'
Greetings to the forum!

So you're from Wolfsburg?

I'm thinking of moving to Either Munchen or Osterreich, how hard is to get a 4-4-2 Cutlass plated and able to drive on the road in Germany?

if i do move to germany, we can start a 4-4-2 Car Club

Tchuss,

-Tony

Cool Tony would be pleasured to find ppl from the states who are into the right cars

Munch is the most expensive city in germany, and the streets are...
See, our citys are historical cores with tiny streets... driving is okay but parking is a no-go

in austria are the car laws extremely strict, even stock ferraris can get in trouble to bee "too low"

and bavaria is not even the best place for tuners, except vintage cars.

come to the north, move to hamburg or hannover, thatll be closer ;D

my daily is a ford probe..
Old October 1st, 2013, 09:53 AM

Hmm I have my doubt it is a 442. Some things are not correct for stock restore and you need to be sure the frame is not rotted because it is a convert. Just dont pay 442 money if it is not a real 442. The 400 trans could be original but the 455 is not to a 68 442. in 68 the 442 was a 4bbl carb 400 engine and dual exhaust.
Old October 1st, 2013, 09:54 AM

A 455 wouldn't be stock in a `68 442, only the hurst/olds got those. In `68 442 means 400 ci 4 barrel carburetor and dual exhaust. lots of people make that mistake. and the cutout bumper should be there. If you like the car and the price is good buy it! I don't really know how much the price would be affected with so much not being stock (it's allready modified so its not like the car for sale is a "matching numbers original) but 442 convertibles almost always bring good money. Look for the vin number to start with 344 that means its the separate model 442 and not a cutlass convertible. Welcome to CO!
Old October 1st, 2013, 09:56 AM

If you want to move to Europe chose sweden... AWESOME US Car scene, absolutely incredible. If heared about that even americans who visited swe came back with wet eyes...
Old October 1st, 2013, 09:56 AM

455 is not correct for 68 442. Column shift and automtic and bench seat could be correct. VIN should start with 344 to be a real 442. 4-speed/4-barrel/Dual exhaust was only completely true in '65.
Steve
Old October 1st, 2013, 09:57 AM

cowl tag/vin

Originally Posted by notchback
Hey greetings from Germany!

American Muscle fan here, living round the city Volkswagen is from and belive me most people hate my taste of cars.

Ive got all together, now the Olds shall come, BUT the candidate car seems to be not correct.

Im on my way to buy a 68er 442 convertible. It has bench seats and column shifter, 455cui block, 750er edelbrock carb, edelbrock intakemanifold, extractors, TH-400

The guy who sells this thing says its the original engine and the stock th-400. He even is sure that the numbers on all match.

If hte numbers are correct, what is this car? How can the 455 block be stock in a 68 442.

The TH-400 is the other thing, I thought 442 means 4 carbs, 4 gears and 2 flt exhaust. But does this means 4 forward gears and includes the reverse one?

The rear bumper on the pic seems not to have the extra cutouts, but this can be modified by some owner.

how much (in percent) decreses the value of the car if its a cutless with aftermarket 455cui?

technically it will be no problem, and the mods done to the car are cool, I like them, but I think sth. wrong.

Wow this was much information, but i need your help. Here in germany the us-mechs are not that into every detail of every olds... :S

cheers, Notchback (cuz of my notch fiero and say what you want, i LOVE this car :P)
Have him send you pics of cowl tag and vin number. The vin should start with 344. Far as turbo 400 that would be correct for 442, if vin does not start with 344, then it is a cutlass that would have come with a turbo 350. Dean
Old October 1st, 2013, 09:58 AM

Originally Posted by brddg
A 455 wouldn't be stock in a `68 442, only the hurst/olds got those. In `68 442 means 400 ci 4 barrel carburetor and dual exhaust. lots of people make that mistake. and the cutout bumper should be there. If you like the car and the price is good buy it! I don't really know how much the price would be affected with so much not being stock (it's allready modified so its not like the car for sale is a "matching numbers original) but 442 convertibles almost always bring good money. Look for the vin number to start with 344 that means its the separate model 442 and not a cutlass convertible. Welcome to CO!

this is the thing, the price is good for a cutless, but unbelivebale cheap if its a real 442. But i want to be sure what it is
Old October 1st, 2013, 10:00 AM

Originally Posted by dnmfranco
Have him send you pics of cowl tag and vin number. The vin should start with 344. Far as turbo 400 that would be correct for 442, if vin does not start with 344, then it is a cutlass that would have come with a turbo 350. Dean
yeah I visit the guy this thursday (german reunion day) and check the vin.

Thanks a lot guys, this is an awesome forum!

German Fiero forum for example has 12 active members (including me -.-)
Old October 1st, 2013, 10:04 AM

Cool Tony would be pleasured to find ppl from the states who are into the right cars

Munch is the most expensive city in germany, and the streets are...
See, our citys are historical cores with tiny streets... driving is okay but parking is a no-go

in austria are the car laws extremely strict, even stock ferraris can get in trouble to bee "too low"

and bavaria is not even the best place for tuners, except vintage cars.

come to the north, move to hamburg or hannover, thatll be closer ;D

my daily is a ford probe..
Very Cool! I have family in Osterreich so i have been many times through Munchen, Stuttgart and Tirol, but i would like to visit the northern parts next time i visit.

I'm actually from Canada, i work for an company that "might" be sending me somewhere in Germany to work. So i wanted to make sure i could bring my Cutlass without any problems.

If i were you, i would buy the cutlass and drive to Oktoberfest and give some girls a nice ride
Old October 1st, 2013, 10:09 AM

If i were you, i would buy the cutlass and drive to Oktoberfest and give some girls a nice ride
my girlfriend kills me...

not but youre right, everyone says "uhhh us cars are for pimps, bmw audi blabla" but if you show up with big ball car its the ultimate pu**y-magnet!

no but dont missunderstand me, my gf and I are huge fans of those cars and the technic and shes as crazy as I concerning american muscle.
We dont have them to get chicks

yeah if you want to visit the north give mail me so we can checkout some local US-meetings. street-mag meet in Hamburg and Hannover is really cool!
Old October 1st, 2013, 11:53 AM

Hey notchback,
first of all, I have to strike a blow for Munich and especially Bavaria! Landscape is great here, you can reach the Mountains in an hour, you have some beautifull lakes, the best beer....
Tony, if you really decide to move here, just make sure to search for an apartment/house anywhere outside of Munich, where you have a good train connection and living here is very affordable!
Car laws are the same in entire Germany, and what you are allowed to do, only depends on which contacts you have and whom you know! Please contact me when you want to register your car, or when you visit Germany For example I know of a lot of people who weren't allowed to drive cragars on their cars, we do

Notchback, I'll be glad to take that 455, if you want to go stock on the 442! At the first TÜV some numbers on the engine get checked and you might not want to have the wrong engine in there! Only chance I see, is to prove that other 68 Oldsmobiles had that engine as an option, which was the case with the Hurst, like it was stated above.

I am going to visit the Oktoberfest tomorrow, but without the Olds, as I don't want to risk that some drunken idiots decide to throw up on it or in it :-/

And now please be honest, what does Wolfsburg have, other than a middle class soccer team and an automobile manufacturer ;-) Just kidding!

Last edited by dancutlass; October 1st, 2013 at 12:02 PM.
Old October 1st, 2013, 12:14 PM

Originally Posted by dancutlass
Notchback, I'll be glad to take that 455, if you want to go stock on the 442! At the first TÜV some numbers on the engine get checked and you might not want to have the wrong engine in there! Only chance I see, is to prove that other 68 Oldsmobiles had that engine as an option, which was the case with the Hurst, like it was stated above.

I chosed this car because of the engine

The seller told me he would do TÜV and vintagecar-Licence (you know Oldtimerkennzeichen, "H" ;-) )

So what can go wrong?

First time i saw this car in the web i thought "yeah nice clone, thats what I want"
im not searching for a 442, but for an late 60s olds with 455cui block and 3 seater bench

I mean the contract would incloude the perfect TÜV and H-Licence, even the fact that it never had a crash. What do you think?

(ps do you speak german? So maybe I could call you this week if you say its ok (yeah even english calling would work ))
Old October 1st, 2013, 12:15 PM

Just a few words about the car...
It sure sounds tempting to have a 442 with 500 advertised hp...but almost $20000 for a project is way too much, and it's just that, a project.
Take a good look at it, and get a sheet, where everything is listed, what has been done to the engine! Then ask the very knowledgeable and helpful guys on here, if this engine is has a good combination of parts, but they will all tell you how hard it is to get 500HP

I would recommend to buy a good driver in the US, where you only have to change the headlights for the TÜV, and you will be serious money ahead!

If you need help with importing a car yourself, let me know, it's not that hard!

Here is the link to the ad by the way:
http://suchen.mobile.de/auto-inserat...eatures=EXPORT

Last edited by dancutlass; October 1st, 2013 at 12:18 PM.
Old October 1st, 2013, 12:17 PM

And yes I do speak German, a lot better than english, I just think it would not be fair to write in german here ;-)

Feel free to send me a PM and I can send you my number ;-)
Old October 1st, 2013, 12:28 PM

Ich spreche ein bisschen Deutsch... aber sehr schlecht lol

Unfortunately not well enough to work at a german automaker... yet....
Old October 1st, 2013, 12:48 PM

Das war sehr gut Tony
I guess sometimes English is more important than german for many jobs in the automotive industry!
Which job do you want to have?
If you want to practice and have german conversation, you can mail me here or to dankalbitz@web.de!
Old October 1st, 2013, 12:52 PM

Nice one, Tony! We have to meet one day for a good german beer! Ill pay

If You really want to get into this industry I could hear around, I work for Volkswagen like every Man in my family for 3 generations.. PM me If you have serious plans!

cheers
Old October 1st, 2013, 01:00 PM

Originally Posted by dancutlass
And yes I do speak German, a lot better than english, I just think it would not be fair to write in german here ;-)

Feel free to send me a PM and I can send you my number ;-)

Didnt you got my PNs? Im Linux User, some browser probs..

If you didnt got anything please write me a pm maybe I can answer :S
Old October 1st, 2013, 01:15 PM

grüße aus wolfsburg...fahre einen 1970er olds toronado...steht nur leider in meiner heimatstadt
Old October 1st, 2013, 01:17 PM

Didnt you got my PNs? Im Linux User, some browser probs..

If you didnt got anything please write me a pm maybe I can answer :S
I got three, it just took so long two answer you should've received a message already!
Old October 1st, 2013, 02:56 PM

Okay, Ill check this baby out this weekend, checking every detail and every mod part. Then Ill post the list here including the pix ill have token.

Thanks so much to this community, its awe-fckn-some!
Old October 1st, 2013, 03:29 PM
Administrator

That's a lot of money for a Cutlass project here in the states.
Old October 1st, 2013, 05:06 PM

Originally Posted by halfmoontrail
4-speed/4-barrel/Dual exhaust was only completely true in '65.
Steve
errrr, 64....

Last edited by allyolds68; October 1st, 2013 at 05:09 PM.
Old October 1st, 2013, 08:21 PM

notchback, good luck with your search. Be careful...that sounds like a lot of money for that car in that condition. Try to be patient and don't buy unless you're completely satisfied.
Old October 1st, 2013, 09:10 PM
GM Enthusiast

Notchback, welcome to CO. If you find a car in the US, post a request in the forum, maybe someone could here can go see it and give you an honest opinion about it. They are great cars, but some can be full of rust and hide it well. Best to have something really checked out before making a long distance purchase.

By the way, I was in Germany when I was a kid. My dad was stationed in Kaiserslautern and Weisbaden. I loved it there, hope to get back sometime.
Old October 2nd, 2013, 05:43 AM

Okay, but this price includes complete and running car inclu all decals etc.
Old October 3rd, 2013, 01:52 AM
'87 Delta 88 Royale

If you want to move to Europe chose sweden... AWESOME US Car scene, absolutely incredible. If heared about that even americans who visited swe came back with wet eyes...
You are right about the American car scene in Sweden, the Vasteras Power Meet is one of the biggest American car shows in the world - including the USA...
But if you think Bavaria is an expensive place to live, you are in for a shock if you visit any Scandanavian country. My wife lived in Stockholm for a while, and my sister visits Sweden most years, most things are expensive, and alcohol is four times the price it is in the UK.

Roger.
Old October 4th, 2013, 07:40 AM

If You really want to get into this industry I could hear around, I work for Volkswagen like every Man in my family for 3 generations..
cheers
Possibly one of your family worked on my '57 Beetle! I've got a few, but my first Olds will be joining them in a couple of weeks. :-)
Old October 7th, 2013, 09:59 PM

Okay... that Olds was crap -.- and Im sure the guys were dealers and no "collectors" the had absulutely no idea what "442" stands for, the vin was from a cutlass and thy painted it from a can i think.

BUT An old friend of my uncle living in tennesse offered me to import one. so now im checking details and I hope soon I have my own Olds!

I will keep you informed and I thank very much to the forum!
Old October 7th, 2013, 10:19 PM

that sucks about the one in germany, but you could always ask if there are some guys on this forum to go take a look at the Tennessee car for you.

Which year/model are you looking for? I can keep my eyes open over here too.