The Newbie Forum The place where you should introduce yourself. Do not ask technical questions here, use the site forum sections.

Extremely rare olds cutlass supreme extreme edition

Search this Thread

Old June 23rd, 2013, 07:22 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Notice that even though it's the same script, it's in a different place, and there is no "Cutlass" script on this one.

And what's with the 50x50 pixel pictures?

- Eric
Old June 23rd, 2013, 07:41 AM

Originally Posted by MDchanic

- Eric
He's got them hot linked from the craigslist posting. He needs to post a link to the actual craigslist ad

edit: The original listing has been flagged for removal. I can't seem to get a look at the cached version either. It's in Bloomington MN craigslist

edit: Found it:

http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/hn...885756423.html

I think what happened to the subject poster's car is they cut the part out of one of these landau type cars and installed it on the sides and added the Cutlass script

Last edited by allyolds68; June 23rd, 2013 at 07:52 AM.
Old June 23rd, 2013, 07:44 AM
MOTORHEAD

link to ad for xtreme number 2

http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/hn...885756423.html
Old June 23rd, 2013, 08:04 AM
"Car"mudgeon

Although I am not much of a fan of this body style, I am intrigued by the literature posted and the mystique of these "different" cool cars. Coolness factor is definitely way up
Old June 23rd, 2013, 02:28 PM
"me somebody" site member

I also agree that different is cool. A car does not have to be worth a lot of money either to be cool, and there is something to be said for owning car your father or grandfather (in this case) owned. You can't put a price on that.
Old June 23rd, 2013, 03:27 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Originally Posted by aliensatemybuick
A car does not have to be worth a lot of money either to be cool, and there is something to be said for owning car your father or grandfather (in this case) owned. You can't put a price on that.
+1.

- Eric
Old June 24th, 2013, 09:08 AM

The difference between my car and his is my car is 2 years older. I think think thats why the badges are different.
Old June 24th, 2013, 09:14 AM

WOW and that car is CLEAN. Only if my car was that clean. I need to fix some rust on the trunk and thats it for my clay work. Im getting it painted raven black with a small red pin stripe allong the top of the sides of the car. My brother is going to help me weld new floor pans in (he welds for a living) because im not the best in the book when it comes th the perfect weld.
Old June 25th, 2013, 11:45 AM

Yes there is an "e" there. One would have to study it to see it. Its like a subliminal "e". I was wondering why those G body blogs were calling it "extreme" instead of "xtreme". Excellent observation.

I was just looking through this thread again, and I took a long look at this picture:

If you look at that chrome plated adhesive plastic script, it actually does not say "Xtreme."

It says "eXtreme."

The curlicue before the "X" is a stylized "e."

So, while I stick by all of the things I said about the word "Xtreme" (as seen in the Buick picture that 70WCar posted), none of them apply to this script, as it says "eXtreme."
The script on this car could be as old as the car, and, therefore, could have been placed there by the dealer as part of a dealer-conceived package, like the "edge" script that was also posted.

All of that being said, it does not change my opinion of the monetary value of the car, which is minimal.

- Eric
Old June 25th, 2013, 12:13 PM
MOTORHEAD

Originally Posted by OldsExtreme
WOW and that car is CLEAN. Only if my car was that clean. I need to fix some rust on the trunk and thats it for my clay work. Im getting it painted raven black with a small red pin stripe allong the top of the sides of the car. My brother is going to help me weld new floor pans in (he welds for a living) because im not the best in the book when it comes th the perfect weld.

good luck with the project
keep the updates coming
Old July 25th, 2013, 02:55 PM

i broke off a bit of old bondo and now im replacing the quarter panel with a new one
Old July 25th, 2013, 03:14 PM
Administrator

You might want to start a new thread in the major builds or project section.
Old July 26th, 2013, 03:14 PM

Personally no offense I would have taken the 3 grand. G-bodies in very good shape that aren't Monte SS,442,Grand National, etc usually don't go for much more than that even up here in Canada where cars tend to cost a lot more, so 3 grand for a G-Body that is not one of the very sought after special models that needs a fair bit of work is a killer offer since you could get an immaculate one for that kind of money. But if you love the car you love the car haha.
Old August 2nd, 2013, 11:43 AM
I'm indecisive. Or am I..

Originally Posted by vette442
Sounds like a 1980-81 header panel - the Calais grilles with the quad headlamps. Could be a local dealer package like the "Grand Olds Gang" ones that were done in PA - stainless roof band, special badges, etc. on a normal Cutlass.

Will be interesting to see pics....
Along the same lines as the Cutlass GT of the late 80's which was a dealer package in North Carolina I believe, based on the calais or salon trim level.
Very niiiice...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
88CutlassGTa.jpg (52.4 KB, 51 views)
Old August 2nd, 2013, 07:58 PM

Originally Posted by BILL DEMMER
iirc, "extreme" wasn't even a popular term, let alone a popular marketing term, back in those days.
Was gonna say the same thing.
Old August 2nd, 2013, 08:03 PM

Originally Posted by brown7373
I too grew up in the 50s and 60s. Some legit regional dealer mods that I remember were "California Special" Mustang, used some of the Shelby non performance mods. One of the GM divisions made a "High Plains Special" or something for a special cosmetic modofied high altitude (around Denver, I think). And I remember something for Texas area too. Down in south Florida, many late model Lincolns get "Palm Beach Edition" designation, with the words and a few palm trees printed onto the vinyl tops. Very desireable...NOT!
The Mustang California Special was a factory car, as was its High Country Special cousin.
Old February 17th, 2014, 11:20 AM

I got to admit that the cars not worth money. It's rare but not expensive. I
Old February 17th, 2014, 11:57 AM
Hookers under Hood

I got to admit that the cars not worth money. It's rare but not expensive. I

I would use some fishing line to take the extreme off , post a pic of your great catch. Now that's Extreme.

Last edited by 76olds; February 17th, 2014 at 12:33 PM.
Old February 17th, 2014, 12:27 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Hey, I got a EXTREMELY rare 78 olds cutlass supreme EXTREME edition........All i know about the cars past is that my Grandpa bought the car in 1978 and parked it in his garage
Well, as the others have pointed out, 1978 doesn't make your car extremely rare. Now for the really interesting part. If your Grandpa bought this in 1978 and just left it parked in his garage (not likely) he was a wicked time traveller and has an advance 1 of none car. That's not a 1978 car looking at the front and rear - it's a 1980. Was he in a crash and had BOTH front and rear ends repaired??

Post the VIN or even run it though the Postwar Oldmobile VIN Decoder and see what you get.

I had a 78 Calais new off the dealership floor (now THAT was a more special, but certainly not rare car, than the Supreme and had different grilles and special body emblems), I also worked with an Olds dealer for several years during those years so I'm pretty confident about what I'm saying. Just so you get an idea of what a 78 Supreme would look like front and back here's a couple of pics
1978 Fronts - Supreme/Calais. Even the header emblems were different and they all had the 2 headlamp system

1978 Rear

1980 SEDAN Front end - NOTE 2 lamp lighting system

1980 Coupe Front end - NOTE 4 lamp lighting system

1980 Coupe Rear - NOTE - also showing the trim package you claim is "rare". It's not really - it was available as a dealer add on for 78-88. All the emblems were adhesive stick ons and many dealers had promo packages that were very regionalized. This topic has been covered on this site many times. Sorry to burst the bubble that 'Xtreme' is a rare Cutlass - it simply isn't. Check your registration - it likely doesn't have any reference to the Xtreme.

In fact here's ANOTHER one that's a regionalized promo

Here's a layout of the trim package you could get from the dealer

Another Special Promo "Crown Cutlass' on a 76 Cutlass S

I think you're probably seeing and understanding now why none of us think it's anything rare or special. It's just dealer added glitz intended to attract a buyer.
Old February 17th, 2014, 12:56 PM
Hookers under Hood

Now that I think about it, My grandma once had a hen house out in Hendersonville where she parked their olds for years after my grandpa couldn't drive anymore, As it turned out I was the " Hen pecked hurst olds edition".
Old February 17th, 2014, 01:23 PM
Just an Olds Guy

LOL - I didn't realize till after I posted my comment that this thread was just resurrected from about a year ago. The whole thing is probably moot now.
Old February 17th, 2014, 03:00 PM
Hookers under Hood

Ah its ok Allan he came too today, I guess someone must have enlightened him on what it was worth.
Old February 17th, 2014, 06:54 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Originally Posted by 76olds
post a pic of your great catch.
He already posted them last year:

9ca186ad-e8b6-43f9-b129-90c287d2731e_zpse86002e9.jpg

b9aad811-671f-45c6-a87c-acdbd1e4aea3_zps815006ab.jpg

222_zps814abd26.jpg

219_zpsc217169a.jpg

Originally Posted by 76olds
... he came too today...
I would shave off one of those "o"s, lest your post be wildly misinterpreted.

- Eric
Old February 17th, 2014, 07:23 PM
Hookers under Hood

I seen the pics , I just figured with a little fishing line he could slide it under those badges as save them for something more extreme, Heck I could use one for my forehead the odd day.
Old March 25th, 2015, 11:39 AM

I had a 1979 Extreme, it was a Hasting Minnesota car with a special grill and heavy duty starter, it had 260 v8 in it, It was a dealer promotion car
Old March 25th, 2015, 01:08 PM

Really?

Originally Posted by Olds Extreme 79
I had a 1979 Extreme, it was a Hasting Minnesota car with a special grill and heavy duty starter, it had 260 v8 in it, It was a dealer promotion car
Why would a 260 need a heavy duty starter?
Old March 25th, 2015, 01:15 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Originally Posted by oldsmobiledave
Why would a 260 need a heavy duty starter?

- Eric
Old March 25th, 2015, 04:13 PM
Chevy budget Olds powered

This is EXTREMELY odd. It must be rare . Not the car., my comment i specially added an extreme to it so its one of a kind.
Old May 6th, 2017, 11:58 AM

Hey, I got a EXTREMELY rare 78 olds cutlass supreme EXTREME edition. i cant find any info on it though! it has extreme badges on the doors and it has chrome all over. the front end is 100% one of a kind design. All i know about the cars past is that my Grandpa bought the car in 1978 and parked it in his garage
and in 2009 he gave it to my sister and at the time she didn't have the money to do any thing to it. I took a close look at it and the grill looked like the one off the HURST edition of 78 and the head lights off a 76 olds. Knowing that body by fisher designed the car i came to the conclusion that they made a extreme edition out of the designs off of many different of their cars. I know the car is worth allot of money because when my sister drove itshe went to get Coffey a man offered her 3000$ for it. She told the man all the problems like it needs a new tranny the engine runs horribly and it needs new floor bords, new tires,new paint,new wind shield, but he still said 3000. Any ways she dident take it and she blew a rod bearing later. now im pulling engine and redoning the interior and im getting it painted and im building the engine into a 383. So now the car is mynr and im rebuilding it. PLEASE NO NEGITIVE COMMENTSIF ANY ONE HAS ANY INFO ON THIS CAR PLEASE REPLY. NOT ONE CAR I HAVE SEEN THAT IS ANT THING LIKE IT. ---------------------------------->THE FIRST PAGE IS TWO PICS AND IF YOU LOOK ON THE LEFT IT WILL SAY OLDSEXTREME AND THAT WILL HAVE 5 PICS.<--------------------

PICTURES: http://s1279.photobucket.com/user/OL...postlogin=true
I own a 1980 Cutlass Supreme with Legend badge on the side of the car. The other ones I've seen have an Edge badge. I've heard it was a regional thing when they sold them. I've only found a few sites with information about it. It was an Y85 appearance package. Apparently there were only about 6000 made. They came with a few options. Mine is white with the black and stainless top. It has the Buick 3.8 liter. I don't know what someone would pay for it, but it is rare to find one with the Y85 appearance package. Hopefully that helps you a little bit. If you find anymore info on it, please let me know.
Old May 6th, 2017, 03:13 PM
Olds Fever

Welcome to the site... In as much as the thread you are responding to is over two years old since the last post, it would be in your best interest to start your own new thread to help get exposure for the information you are seeking...
Old May 6th, 2017, 08:09 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Originally Posted by CRUZN 66
In as much as the thread you are responding to is over two years old since the last post, it would be in your best interest to start your own new thread to help get exposure for the information you are seeking...
Also note that every one of the OP's 20 posts on this board were in this thread, and he has not posted again on any subject since, so it is unlikely that he will see your message.

Welcome to ClassicOlds.

- Eric
Old May 8th, 2017, 08:51 PM

1976 Cutlass Xtreme

I would have to do some digging to find pics, but my first car was a 1976 Cutlass Xtreme. I was 18, not really a car head, but still loved the car.

As others have noted, or figured out, it was a local variant, perhaps to Minnesota, or any cold, northern state. It was a Supreme, kindof. It had a slight different grill/front end, with a small chunk of center molding that didn't go anywhere.

It had a more raked back white landau roof, not as squared as the Supreme. It had a huge chrome bumper that was attached to a very skimpy sheet metal frame that rusted away.

I replaced the bumper's frame with a big chunk of treated lumber. Couldn't tell the difference.

It also had white vinyl swivel, bucket seats. Very cool.

Mechanically I don't remember much except I was pretty sure it had a 350 with a limited slip differential and a heavy duty battery. That was part of the Xtreme package. Not sure what else.

It was a great first car. Old school Detroit steel. The pics posted are of a newer body style. I remember seeing them and always thinking they were a poor knock-off of the year I had.

Mine was clearly different that the Supreme. And to all the linguists who've chimed in, I will look for a pic. I'm 99% sure it was "Xtreme". That's part of what made it extreme.
Old May 9th, 2017, 12:18 AM
Hookers under Hood

Originally Posted by bartsline
I would have to do some digging to find pics, but my first car was a 1976 Cutlass Xtreme. I was 18, not really a car head, but still loved the car.

As others have noted, or figured out, it was a local variant, perhaps to Minnesota, or any cold, northern state. It was a Supreme, kindof. It had a slight different grill/front end, with a small chunk of center molding that didn't go anywhere.

It had a more raked back white landau roof, not as squared as the Supreme. It had a huge chrome bumper that was attached to a very skimpy sheet metal frame that rusted away.

I replaced the bumper's frame with a big chunk of treated lumber. Couldn't tell the difference.

It also had white vinyl swivel, bucket seats. Very cool.

Mechanically I don't remember much except I was pretty sure it had a 350 with a limited slip differential and a heavy duty battery. That was part of the Xtreme package. Not sure what else.

It was a great first car. Old school Detroit steel. The pics posted are of a newer body style. I remember seeing them and always thinking they were a poor knock-off of the year I had.

Mine was clearly different that the Supreme. And to all the linguists who've chimed in, I will look for a pic. I'm 99% sure it was "Xtreme". That's part of what made it extreme.

Post a new thread if you find the pics of your once owned 76 . I see your new to the site. Welcome,
Post an intro with pics of your current Olds, we would all like to hear about it .
Cheers
Eric
Old July 15th, 2017, 01:20 PM

Just picked this up cheap

Notice that even though it's the same script, it's in a different place, and there is no "Cutlass" script on this one.

- Eric
Old July 15th, 2017, 01:25 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Those things are still out there...

Welcome to ClassicOlds.

- Eric
Old July 15th, 2017, 04:03 PM

There were two new cutlass EXTREME cars in the parking lot where I worked in 1983 or 4. Both came from the former Royal Oldsmobile in St. Paul. As I understand it they were a promotion available from the Twin Cities Olds dealers. The brushed stainless crown was different than this picture. It went from between the door and side window to the other side. It was about 2 1/2 inches wide just wide enough to hold the EXTREME plastic plate.
Both were rather ill equipped cutlass for the time
Old July 11th, 2018, 06:41 PM

I also have a Cutlass Extreme. 79 model

I have one of these cars too. Mine had clothe bucket seats. Auto on the floor. Came from Hastings. MN dealershop
Old July 11th, 2018, 08:37 PM

I believe it existed, but maybe sorta a regional thing. Who was the Olds dealer in Hastings ?
Old January 21st, 2020, 07:24 PM

Originally Posted by oldcutlass
Never heard of a Cutlass Extreme.

X2 on the posting the same thing in multiple forums.
Old January 21st, 2020, 07:27 PM

I also have a Cutlass Extreme mine was a 1979 model.
it was sold by a car dealership out of Hasting Minnesota

Quick Reply: Extremely rare olds cutlass supreme extreme edition