The Newbie Forum The place where you should introduce yourself. Do not ask technical questions here, use the site forum sections.

New guy, '67 Cutlass Supreme

Search this Thread

Old April 4th, 2013, 04:42 AM

New guy, '67 Cutlass Supreme

Hello!
Currently deployed to Afghanistan, should be home for summer.
I had saved up a bunch of money, and decided that half of it was going to go into a nice car. I found a Challenger online, had a buddy go and look it over, and he saw the '67 Cutlass, looked it over, drove it, and insisted that I buy it.
He talked the guy down to 10k, and he's storing it until I get home. Probably jumped into it a little too quick.
These are links to the listing for the vehicle, everything in it is listed, and the 3rd link has pictures of just about everything in, on and under the vehicle. Let me know what you all think!

http://maine.craigslist.org/ctd/3626215664.html

http://www.klassicklunkers.com/1967oldscutlass442.htm

http://s1081.photobucket.com/user/Kl...%20blue?page=1
Old April 4th, 2013, 04:59 AM

Welcome, nice car stay in touch and be safe.
Old April 4th, 2013, 05:02 AM
Sammy70 455 Supreme

Nice looking car....personally I think you made the right decision
Jim( vPugly) is a member on CO.....
X2, stay safe.

Ted
Old April 4th, 2013, 05:16 AM

VERY NICE car! I think you did good. Hurry home and get busy enjoying the ride. Thank you for your service!
Old April 4th, 2013, 07:04 AM
Administrator

It's a plan, thankyou for your service. Keep us posted. I'm partial to 66 and 67's.
Old April 4th, 2013, 09:49 AM
Old(s) Fart

Welcome. Looks like the 425 was lifted directly from a Toronado, including the air cleaner and valve covers. Probably still has the depressed intake manifold that will hurt performance a little (though not much). It's definitely a good motor - big valves, high compression.
Old April 4th, 2013, 11:47 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by Danr9745
Currently deployed to Afghanistan, should be home for summer.......he saw the '67 Cutlass, looked it over, drove it, and insisted that I buy it.
He talked the guy down to 10k, and he's storing it until I get home. Probably jumped into it a little too quick. Let me know what you all think
It's a beautiful looking car and I'm sure you'll enjoy driving it when you get back. On that note, Thank You for your service to your country.

You might be right that your buddy jumped on this too quick. Here's my thoughts about why.

Are ALL the pics on the photobucket slide show of this car? If they are, it looks like someone did a nice job or re-creating it as a 67 CS with some of the L78 442 options. If on the other hand the Cowl (trim) tag is NOT from this car, the following information doesn't apply to your car.

The Trim tag shown in the pics indicates the car is a 33617 (Cutlass), not a 33817 (Cutlass Supreme) and the 442 was only offered on the CS in 1967 so no way it's an original 442, and no way it's even a Cutlass Supreme so the seller actually listed the car wrong (technically). Likely he bought it to flip under the same guise as was told to him as well.

0 = roof moldings for two tone paint (option D99)
2X (column 2) X = column Shift automatic.

The 67 442 should also have a bronze 400CID, single snorkel chrome air cleaner, vented hood, boxed control arms and rear sway bar. All those are clearly missing in the photos.

Paint code also says this car was originally a 2 tone Aspen Green lower and Provincial white upper PAINT, not vinyl. Black vinyl would have been coded as '2'.

Trim says the interior was originally 937 - Champagne and a bench seat. The wheels are SSIII's with bolt on caps which were never offered in 67, but I really like the look of them on the car.

These are all issues that your buddy might have used to his advantage when negotiating $$ on the car, since the valuation of Cutlass is lowest, CS is higher, and 442 is the highest. Still 10K isn't bad for a turnkey car that you'll have a lot of fun with. FWIW, I seriously doubt anyone could buy and build this car for less than what you paid for it.

If I've made any errors in this post, I apologize. Folks with more expert 67 knowledge can chime in.
Old April 4th, 2013, 01:37 PM
Administrator

Hey Allan - This car has been for sale for a while. It was never advertised as a 442 and is not turn key. Thecar is pretty nice and the price is reasonable vs what he is getting for his dollar. I will say that body bushings be the first project on his list.
Old April 4th, 2013, 02:08 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by oldcutlass
It was never advertised as a 442 and is not turn key.
The klassicklunkers site even says the 442 emblems were added. I actually find that refreshingly honest, given some of the other threads lately.
Old April 4th, 2013, 02:24 PM
Just an Olds Guy

It was never advertised as a 442 and is not turn key. Thecar is pretty nice and the price is reasonable vs what he is getting for his dollar.
I know. I looked at the ad and saw it advertised as a Cutlass Supreme. But it's not. It's a plain Cutlass modified to look like a CS with 442 emblems. Never said it wasn't worth the price paid either. The OP said the car was already bought and being stored for him by his buddy. Why do you say it's not turnkey? According to the ad, all you need is a set of plates, or they can lend you one to drive it home. I think that's about as turnkey as it gets.

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
The klassicklunkers site even says the 442 emblems were added. I actually find that refreshingly honest, given some of the other threads lately.
Agreed. But that still doesn't make it a Cutlass Supreme. It is however a very nice looking Cutlass.
Old April 4th, 2013, 03:22 PM
Administrator

Yes, it looks like it has a CS interior, but no b'up lights in the bumper.
Old April 4th, 2013, 04:10 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Yes, it looks like it has a CS interior, but no b'up lights in the bumper.
As I suggested, someone went to a lot of trouble to make it look like a CS. Wonder what happens when R is selected? Lower 'brake' lights go on?

As I mentioned in post 7, IF the cowl tag is original - it's clearly NOT a Cutlass Supreme even though it's advertised as one. I noticed the VIN is not posted in any of those pics either. If it's advertised as a CS, it should at least be VIN'd as one.
Old April 4th, 2013, 04:22 PM
Navy P-3 FE (Ret.)

Welcome , thanks for your service, I did my time, and glad you picked a 67', I sort of like them
Not sure if your from the area where the car is or was but NAS Brunswick isn't too far away and I did a tour there in the mid 90's.
I think you got a decent car for the money, I may not have paid as much knowing what I know or think I know, but for someone looking for a fun car to drive you did okay. It's one of those things, if you don't know what your getting exactly you don't know until after the fact. Heck when I bought my Cameo 442 back in 91', after I brought it home and did some research, hiding under the nice chrome air cleaner was a 330 cu in motor. I really didn't know what I was looking for at the time.
I'll agree that the car isn't anything like it was when it rolled off the line, not even close. A prime candidate to modify to your liking. Something poking out of the hood is cool. I'll add also if you were looking for a correct car and something to restore, you might be a little disappointed.

Last edited by 67Olds442X2; April 4th, 2013 at 04:39 PM.
Old April 4th, 2013, 04:51 PM

I have met jim and he is a good guy Im restoreing a 67 and actually bought the hood that was on the car when jim got itwhen you get home look me up at oxford plains dragway i will be driving a 70 nova (black) if I can help you out with anything let me know
Old April 4th, 2013, 04:59 PM
Administrator

Again Danr9745, please don't misunderstand, you're getting from what I can see a very nice car. It is a blank slate with a great foundation for you to make it what ever you wish.
Old April 4th, 2013, 05:29 PM

I have actully looked at this car its not a orignal 442 and jim never said it was its just a nice old car that has found a good home orignal cars are nice but the one that you buy and make it yours in what ever way you desire are the ones that bring happiness and memories that wont be forgotten number matching are for rich old men who like to tell there friends how much they paid at mecum/jackson aution when this guy gets home he will enjoy this car more than he can imangeI hope I have the oppertunity to take a cruise with a fellow vetran this summer
Old April 4th, 2013, 05:48 PM

Thanks for the welcoming and information guys! I looked a little into the car before I actually sent the check out, I noticed that the 425 wasn't listed as being an option for that year, as well as the Turbo 400 transmission, knowing that I figured the rest of the car was probably unoriginal as well.
Luckily, I wasn't looking for anything original, or a "true" 442, just a fun summer cruiser that's ready to go, and that I can modify and not have to worry about ruining the value.

'67Olds442X2, BNAS was about an hour and a half from where the vehicle is. My Dad always took me there when I was younger, but it was shut down a few years ago. Cool to know you were up there!

Allan, thanks for the info! I honestly don't know a whole lot about these cars. I only did enough research to know the engine and tranny are definitely not original since they didn't even offer that model, and the seller told me the engine and transmission have just over 7,000 miles on them since they were rebuilt, and the vehicle was repainted and had cosmetic and interior stuff done around 2000.

Diesel Olds, good to know thanks, I'll be sure to look you up!

Any other information you guys got, maintenance tips, or things to watch for with her would be much appreciated.
Old April 4th, 2013, 06:11 PM
Navy P-3 FE (Ret.)

A couple of links.

http://www.oldsmobility.com/old/index.htm
http://www.442.com/oldsfaq/oldsfaq.htm
http://wildaboutcarsonline.com/
http://www.fusick.com/
http://www.supercarsunlimited.com/

Get an assembly manual and service manual from Wildaboutcarsonline, I think they have the downloads.
And if you decide to stick something out the hood, don't cut that one.
Enjoy.

Things must be different with the base closed. They had just put in a 13 screen theater after I left. Wonder if that's still around. Long live the mighty P-3 Orion.

Last edited by 67Olds442X2; April 4th, 2013 at 06:28 PM.
Old April 4th, 2013, 07:19 PM
GM Enthusiast

Welcome to CO and thank you for protecting us!
Old April 5th, 2013, 04:14 AM

Originally Posted by 67Olds442X2
A couple of links.

http://www.oldsmobility.com/old/index.htm
http://www.442.com/oldsfaq/oldsfaq.htm
http://wildaboutcarsonline.com/
http://www.fusick.com/
http://www.supercarsunlimited.com/

Get an assembly manual and service manual from Wildaboutcarsonline, I think they have the downloads.
And if you decide to stick something out the hood, don't cut that one.
Enjoy.

Things must be different with the base closed. They had just put in a 13 screen theater after I left. Wonder if that's still around. Long live the mighty P-3 Orion.
Thanks for the links, appreciate it! When I get more than 5 minutes at a time of downtime I'll definitely check them out. I hope to learn as much about the vehicle as I can before I get back.

Thanks OLD SKL 69!
Old April 5th, 2013, 06:41 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Danr9745
I only did enough research to know the engine and tranny are definitely not original since they didn't even offer that model,
Actually, the TH400 was available in 1967 on the 442 and Turnpike Cruiser options. The 425 was never factory installed in the A-body cars, but it is externally identical to the 400 - the only difference is the bore (4.125" vs 4.000").
Old June 17th, 2013, 09:39 AM

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
Welcome. Looks like the 425 was lifted directly from a Toronado, including the air cleaner and valve covers. Probably still has the depressed intake manifold that will hurt performance a little (though not much). It's definitely a good motor - big valves, high compression.

Thats the first thing i thought of when i saw the pics! Love those Toro motors! Just Bad A** in stock form!
Old June 17th, 2013, 11:24 AM
Old School Olds

Originally Posted by f-85
Thats the first thing i thought of when i saw the pics! Love those Toro motors! Just Bad A** in stock form!
x2!
Old January 29th, 2019, 04:54 PM
Just an Olds Guy

I like it!! One of my favorite Cutlass models too and I'm partial to 67 since that's what I learned to drive in.

Enjoy the open road and share your adventures.