The Newbie Forum The place where you should introduce yourself. Do not ask technical questions here, use the site forum sections.

new intro and electrical question

Search this Thread

Old August 16th, 2011, 08:58 PM

new intro and electrical question

Greetings, new to CO, my parents and i have always had an olds since the early 60s. now that they're gone, i still have the 84 cutlass supreme brougham (2 dr, V6) and have been keeping it alive although the GAUGE fuse keeps blowing out (HELP!); it's on its 3rd transmission, 2nd motor and the odo has just over 300K on it; also have a 69 C20 (in perpetual restoration), 63 MG mk1, and a 89 Porsche 944 turbo. even though 84 doesn't seem that old, a lot shops here and even the chevy dealer in my town won't work on the cutlass. i will probably post my fuse problem/question in electrical but until then look forward to reading/posting here..
Old August 16th, 2011, 11:07 PM
1968 442 restoration

Welcome to CO. Most likely you have a short to ground in your gauge circut. The first step in troubleshooting anything is always a visual inspection. Look for anything that looks out of place, like a wire or loose bracket touching one of the gauge posts on the back. For anything more than a visual you really need a volt/ ohm meter. Do you have a basic understanding of DC electrical circuts?

Chris
Old August 17th, 2011, 08:02 AM

hi chris; thanks for your reply, i have a multimeter and a basic understanding; the only moving gauge is the fuel level indicator - i disconnected the connector (next to the fuel tank) from the fuel sending sensor (which isn't working anyways) but still blew the fuse after about ten minutes of driving. the gauge circuit also controls most of the warning lights, i started to take the dash apart but the speedo/odo cables are holding the instrument panel in. the only thing i don't like about the 84 is all the emissions control stuff that runs thru the ECM and the multitudes of hidden wires and interconnected systems. i may also look at the subharnesses that run over the bell housing as maybe something got munched there when the trans was taken out.

philip
Old August 17th, 2011, 09:25 AM
Oldsdruid

I'm thinking the GAUGE fuse also controlled transmission downshift, though the V6 would not have had electrical downshift.

Also check around underhood to all sending units since the engine has been out and something may have been left unplugged or pinched.

The 1984 Oldsmobile Chassis Service and Electrical Troubleshooting manuals will be a big help here.
Old August 17th, 2011, 11:09 AM

just got done looking under the hood subharnesses and at the trans solenoid connection; the trans cooling line was almost touching the O2 sensor wire (which was bare just as it leaves the sensor), i am hoping that is it although the fuse didn't blow when i tried to short it at this location; i will idle the car for about 15 minutes and test drive it (and hopefully make it to work today!).
Old August 18th, 2011, 05:40 AM
Past Administrator

Good luck and keep at it and you'll find the problem and get it fixed! Welcome to CO.
Old August 19th, 2011, 12:18 AM

Thanks for the welcome
The problem is the TCC Solenoid; Disconnected = Fuse OK; Connected = Blown Fuse, charging light on and other warning lights and diagnostics disabled.