The Newbie Forum The place where you should introduce yourself. Do not ask technical questions here, use the site forum sections.

Good morning! Questions ?

Search this Thread

Old August 19th, 2011, 06:41 AM

Good morning! Questions ?

Good morning my people. Ive posted my newbie thread last week and got a lot of support from the community. well I'm not sure where my next post should be so here I go again. I drive a 1972 oldsmobile cutlass supreme 4 door and a couple days ago I started leaking oil! I never had this problem and not sure what caused it. I've located general vicinity is coming from and having a problem diagnosing the leak coming from the oil pan gasket or rear main seal. what other things can I do? I'm tightened it most of of the screws around the old and gasket and didn't notice the gasket pushing away as I tightened. so surely el pan gasket needs to be replaced. now my trouble is it's leaking so heavy it's hard to tell if it's only the gasket or the seal leaking.. any suggestions?
Old August 19th, 2011, 07:03 AM

Hi,
You might try posting your questions here...

https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums/cutlass/

...or here...

https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums/small-blocks/

Hope you get the info you need & get it fixed !
Old August 19th, 2011, 07:12 AM

Originally Posted by Indy_68_S
Hi,
You might try posting your questions here...

https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums/cutlass/

...or here...

https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums/small-blocks/

Hope you get the info you need & get it fixed !

Thanks Indy. Nice ride
Old August 19th, 2011, 07:12 AM
"Car"mudgeon

Sounds like you have over tightened your pan further ruining your pan gasket. That will need to be changed, and it is not as easy as say a valve cover gasket R & R. I recommend taking it to a reputable mechanic and get some estimates. As far as where to post, there are different categories you can choose such as Engines & Transmissions with sub-categories such as small blocks, big blocks or transmission. There are all sorts of discussions so feel free to jump in and share your input as you wish. I wish you luck in your quest to keep the oil in the engine.
Old August 19th, 2011, 07:19 AM

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by GAOldsman
Sounds like you have over tightened your pan further ruining your pan gasket. That will need to be changed, and it is not as easy as say a valve cover gasket R & R. I recommend taking it to a reputable mechanic and get some estimates. As far as where to post, there are different categories you can choose such as Engines & Transmissions with sub-categories such as small blocks, big blocks or transmission. There are all sorts of discussions so feel free to jump in and share your input as you wish. I wish you luck in your quest to keep the oil in the engine.
I agree. It was pushing out the sides with just a quarter turn. I posted under small block cat also. Thanks a lot. I think I can handle the oil pan gasket. I installed the starter last year and it looks like its gonna have to come off along with an exhaust pipe that crosses over the pan. I downloaded a service manual one of the guys helped me get and I feel confident I can do it. Guess there is only one way to find out. Thanks for the post . Peace