The Newbie Forum The place where you should introduce yourself. Do not ask technical questions here, use the site forum sections.

First time visitor & posting

Search this Thread

Old December 5th, 2009, 05:43 PM

Cool First time visitor & posting

Wanted to intro myself and post a question about my car.
I am new to the forum.
Seven weeks ago I bought my 4th Olds. This one's a 56 88 four door. Black with green interior.
She was an ebay car and turned out to be everything I expected when I went to get her. Drove her home from Indiana to North Carolina.
She appears to be all original, with the exception of a couple of front end parts.
Runs really well, no oil burn or engine noise whatsoever.
She has the Jetway 4 spped automatic trans.
Shifting from 2nd to third, she really has to get reved and speed up to about 30 mph. I either have to let up off the gas to get her to shift to 3rd or eventually it will shift hard on its own.
Same situation from 3rd to 4th, only not as blunt or rough a shift.
I drained and reserviced the fluid hoping it would help.
Any thoughts or help from any of you would be great.
Great to be a part of this.
Old December 5th, 2009, 06:05 PM

Glad to see you here.

There are number of '50s Olds people on here, and I'm sure one or more will respond.

When you get a chance, post some pictures. They're all going to tell you that, too!

Also, we want to know about your first three Oldsmobiles. What were they? What's their stories? What possessed you to get a fourth one? We all know the general answer about getting hooked by Olds, but why this particular car at this particular time?
Old December 5th, 2009, 06:09 PM
I bleed Oldsmobile

Welcome......
Old December 5th, 2009, 06:31 PM

Smile Re: First time visitor & posting

I will get some pictures on the site soon.
How I got to number 4.
My very first car was a 62, I think a Dynamic 88. It was a silver 4 door monster. 394. automatic. I was 16 and bought the car for 200 bucks from a family friend, in 1976. It did'nt have any major problems that I can remember all these years later, however it didn't take me too many months to fry the motor. I remember one day driving and suddenly seeing it start laying down a cloud that would have made the South Florida mosquito control people proud. She never ran again.
I went out and found a rusty old 63 Holiday 88 that needed a radiator, but otherwise supposedly ran well. Bought that one for a hundred bucks, put the radiator out of the 62 into it and proceeded to drive it for the next 6 or so years. I never put a dime into that car and she just kept on running. Drove it to Daytona Beach in November of 78 right before going in to the military with a buddy of mine. We drove it on the beach and met a couple of girls from Canada who I'm convinced would have never given us the time of day were it not for the car. I don't know why, because it was a rusty mess, but ah well, it was a memorable week. Drove it home to Ohio and went in the Air Force. Got home after being assigned to a training base in central Illinois, and dug it out of a snow bank and drove it back and forth from Ohio to Illinois for the next 16 weeks, then drove it from Ohio to Sacramento California where I was stationed. I drove heck out of that car and finally sold the motor out of it to a buddy for 450 bucks in around 1982.
The third one was a 67 four door 88. It was extremely clean and ran like a top. When I bought that one sometime in the early 90s and at the time had several other cars. I got married and my wife & I decided to relocate from N Carolina to California and we had too many cars.
I sold raffle tickets at my job and raffled that car off. The winner was one of my supervisors at the time and he gave it to his son as a first car. Many years later I had heard that the car was still running.
The one I jus bought one was born out of wanting a classic and something that I can actually work on, no computers and space shuttle stuff, just real Detroit metal. I have an 07 american car and I can't stand having to deal with the dealer for problems. They are always a pain and never want to do anything that will cost them money.
SO here we are. My new old Olds is tucked in the garage right next to the 07 and I drive her at least once or twice a week. She isn't perfect, she has battle scars but she's a great solid clean good running car that turns heads everywhere I take her.
Old December 5th, 2009, 09:04 PM
Cutlass Lover

Welcome to our site! We like pics!!!!!
Old December 5th, 2009, 10:07 PM

Welcome to CO and congratulations on your vintage car.. I hope the new transmission oil has helped your shifting issues; sometimes that's all it takes.
Old December 6th, 2009, 04:43 AM

Welcome

Welcome aboard

Please post pics pronto
Old December 6th, 2009, 06:16 AM

Originally Posted by Steve
How I got to number 4.
Steve, great stories! Thanks. It sounds like most of your experiences with Oldsmobiles up to now have been as daily drivers, and they seem to have served you very well. Now it sounds like you want one as a collector car, and that's great. We do look forward to the photos.

Plus, when you get a chance, you've got to tell us about the eBay car-buying experience. I see lots of cars on there, but I've always been a bit nervous about bidding on something sight unseen. Obviously it seems to have worked out well for you. Was this the first car you ever went after on eBay? Or had you bid on a dozen cars previously but never ended up as the high bidder?
Old December 6th, 2009, 07:48 AM

belgium 57 oldsmobile

hello steve ,

welcome to the CO .
great car the 56 ' i ownd one 14 years ago a 4 door sedan super 88 i have a lot of fun with that car i had now transmission problems the time i ouwnd the car .
GOOD LUCK steve ,

greetz marc
Old December 6th, 2009, 09:04 AM

Talking Welcome to CO

The second to third shift is has always been an issue with these transmissions to my knowledge. My 57 did the same thing and I have heard that comment from many owners with the same transmission. The second to third on mine was noticeable not smooth. The manual advises linkage adjustments to set the upshift of the transmission. I would suggest you get your hands on a shop manual, it's a big help on these cars. You can find them on e-bay and other sources. The subject covers several pages. Good luck