The Newbie Forum The place where you should introduce yourself. Do not ask technical questions here, use the site forum sections.

New Guy

Search this Thread

Old May 20th, 2009, 07:46 PM

New Guy

Hello all. I recently found this site and have registered on it. I am about through with a restoration of a '71 Olds 442. I am a retired guy and I recently added a garage additon to my home. This is a 31x54x12 addition with lift, blast cabinet, big IR compressor, 7 plumbed air drops, etc. I fooled with some muscle cars back during the day and am now doing that again 40 years later. I bought a nice 71 442 in Illinois a couple of years ago and I am about through with it's restoration. I had a white 442 back in '71 and always regretted that I sold it. This car was green with a green vinyl top. I took the vtop off and have painted the car white (I do my own body work). It is very straight after about 4 primings/blockings. I bought an orig oai hood in Mich. The car is ps, pb, and a/c. has electric windows and a rear window defroster. Interior is all original-green. The stripes on hood and down side are also green. Looks pretty good. I plan to take it on part of the Hot Rod Power Tour and am working in haste to finish it by that time. In any case, I appreciate this site and hope to participate some. Mike Martin; Madison, Ms.
Old May 20th, 2009, 08:19 PM

Being someone who does your own body work, can you give me a few pointers? I'm going to try my first paint job later this summer, not on my olds, but hopefully eventually. What do you suggest for someone who knows almost nothing about painting. I have the gun and the compressor already. Should I read a book, try it over and over on old body panels? I'm not looking to paint show quality, just something that lookfd good from 10 feet or so.

Welcome to the site, I only joined a couple of days ago myself. lol
Old May 20th, 2009, 08:41 PM

Let me join in saying welcome to the site Mike. We'd enjoy seeing photos of your car when you have time to post them. Sounds nice! John
Old May 21st, 2009, 04:15 AM

Welcome

Welcome aboard,

Give us a step by step description of your body work with pics. It would be very informative.
Old May 21st, 2009, 07:36 AM

Originally Posted by Jamesbo
Welcome aboard,

Give us a step by step description of your body work with pics. It would be very informative.

X2 om this idea and Welcome to the site
Old May 21st, 2009, 11:25 AM

PHP Code:
What do you suggest for someone who knows almost nothing about paintingI have the gun and the compressor alreadyShould I read a book, try it over and over on old body panelsI'm not looking to paint show quality, just something that lookfd good from 10 feet or so. :) 
JPC647 - Find your local community college and sign up for an AutoBody course on weekends. You can get fabulous results there; however, it will NOT happen as quickly as you think it will..........
Old May 21st, 2009, 12:36 PM

I appreciate the welcome. I am tryiing to sell a '75 Pont Trans Am that I restored and it just closed out on ebay (top bid was about $3K of what I feel I must have.) In any case I am going to post that ad which has a number of photos of the Trans Am but has about 125+ pictures in the body of the ad (a flickr account). Those photos also show the T/A but also show my garage and have a few pics of the '71 Olds and a '69 Cutlass S that I also own and plan to sell. The ad is as follows:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1975-...1%7C240%3A1318

Take a look and thanks again for the nice welcome.
Mike
Madison, Ms
Old May 21st, 2009, 12:49 PM

Originally Posted by jpc647
Being someone who does your own body work, can you give me a few pointers? I'm going to try my first paint job later this summer, not on my olds, but hopefully eventually. What do you suggest for someone who knows almost nothing about painting. I have the gun and the compressor already. Should I read a book, try it over and over on old body panels? I'm not looking to paint show quality, just something that lookfd good from 10 feet or so.

Welcome to the site, I only joined a couple of days ago myself. lol
I did go to a Comm College for a couple of semesters. I went like a regular student and I did learn a good deal and got much hands on experience. I have a guy that has 25 years body/paint experience that helps me part time (I really help him). I have gained much experience in doing this. Doing good paint and body work is not easy. There is much to learn and it is easy to make mistakes that really screw up the paint job. I could not have done it without much help from the school and from hands on experience with direction from a knowledgeable person. It has taken me literally years to learn to get the 'feel' that you must have to be a competent paint/bodyman. I would investigate the Comm College courses available in your area. Good luck.
Old May 21st, 2009, 01:15 PM

Nice playpen you have there. Nice work on the Trans Am. Prices are down everywere with things the way they are now.
Old May 24th, 2009, 04:23 AM

I know this is not the site to ask this tech question, but evedently I need 5 posts to put it in the right place? In any case, does a '71 Olds 442 have an alternator that has an internal voltage regulator or is it external?
Old May 24th, 2009, 08:22 PM

Welcome, Mike!
Old May 24th, 2009, 10:46 PM

Smile Power up

Originally Posted by redvettemike
I know this is not the site to ask this tech question, but evedently I need 5 posts to put it in the right place? In any case, does a '71 Olds 442 have an alternator that has an internal voltage regulator or is it external?
It would have an internal regulator PN 1100934-42amp, 1100935-63 amp w/AC & HD cooling xcpt rear defog, 1100949-63 amp w/ rear defog If it is a real 442 then the wiring would tell!!
Old May 31st, 2009, 09:07 PM

"Statue's movements"

You'ld wonder a guy called Statue could move this quick and get all of these Technical answers for everybody the way he does. Must be very well informed about these "A" Body cars??? You Think?

Last edited by chequenman; June 4th, 2009 at 07:51 AM.