The Newbie Forum The place where you should introduce yourself. Do not ask technical questions here, use the site forum sections.

Hello from Utah

Search this Thread

Old August 19th, 2018, 08:43 AM

Hello from Utah

Hello, my name is Bryson and I live in West Jordan, UT with my wife and 2 kids. We have a few Toyota Land Cruisers that take up most of my tinkering time, but I picked up a 1954 Olds 98 4-door a few years ago, and I'm finally getting around to working on it.

The car is pretty stock, and in decent shape - it runs and drives but needs a few things. There is some sheet metal damage to the front and rear passenger side corners - the PO had started to disassemble the car to repair it, but I think I'm just going to roughly straighten out the sheet metal, clean up and reinstall trim, lights, etc. and drive the car. I need to put the interior back together with my newly upholstered seats and fresh carpet, and figure out where all the trim bits go. I also need to install seat belts so I feel better about taking my family with me. Lucky for me, the PO had also gone through and replaced most of the suspension bushings, brake parts, hoses, etc. so hopefully there aren't too many mechanical issues to deal with. I have rebuilt the carb, but still need to repair a leaking fuel pump, transmission output seal, replace battery, and a few other small items.

I'm excited to learn more about the car from the people on this forum, and look forward new friendships.
Old August 19th, 2018, 08:49 AM
Administrator

Welcome to the site, we do like pictures. The Vintage forum has a lot of information and a great group of people.
Old August 19th, 2018, 09:18 AM

This is the only pic I have at the moment. I hate the '80s whitewalls (sucks because they're in perfect shape...) and the cheap re-pop hub caps.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
olds.jpg (2.44 MB, 15 views)
Old August 19th, 2018, 09:48 AM

Welcome! That baby will buff right out! Looks pretty decent.
Old August 19th, 2018, 10:22 AM

Unfortunately that is the good side... The other side has some sheet metal damage on both corners, but nothing too severe. I hope to simply straighten it up enough that it isn't too noticeable, reinstall the trim and bumpers and drive it.
Old August 19th, 2018, 02:45 PM
Administrator

Very nice project. Is the family participating?
Old August 19th, 2018, 03:29 PM

Originally Posted by oldcutlass
Very nice project. Is the family participating?
My wife participates by putting up with my projects. But, I think that once she is able to go for a cruise in it, she might like to have more to do with it. My kids are 3 and 6, and while they're not yet much actual help, they do love to "help". And I love it when they do.
Old August 19th, 2018, 03:31 PM

Welcome to the site.....Dave from New Harmony Utah, just south of Cedar City. I'm pretty new also but you'll get lots of useable info from these guys.
Old August 19th, 2018, 03:38 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Welcome aboard!
You need to touch base with Tedd Thompson and redoldsman (Glenn) on this site.
They're both very knowledgeable people when it comes to this vintage - and they own those model years too IIRC.
Old August 19th, 2018, 04:02 PM

Originally Posted by Gascoop
Welcome to the site.....Dave from New Harmony Utah, just south of Cedar City. I'm pretty new also but you'll get lots of useable info from these guys.
Hey Dave! I spent a few days down in New Harmony just a couple of weeks ago. I didn't want to come home! Fantastic area.

Originally Posted by Allan R
Welcome aboard!
You need to touch base with Tedd Thompson and redoldsman (Glenn) on this site.
They're both very knowledgeable people when it comes to this vintage - and they own those model years too IIRC.
Will do. Thanks!

Last edited by bryson; August 19th, 2018 at 04:12 PM.
Old August 19th, 2018, 04:08 PM

Welcome aboard, it's good to have a new mid fifties Old's aboard. Just a thought but why don't you just turn those small white walls to the inside, add some poverty caps and run them till they wear out.? There were more fifties Oldsmobile's sold with black walls than white walls back in the day.... See you around the vintage forum soon..... Lost in the fifties .... Tedd
Old August 19th, 2018, 04:12 PM

Originally Posted by Tedd Thompson
Welcome aboard, it's good to have a new mid fifties Old's aboard. Just a thought but why don't you just turn those small white walls to the inside, add some poverty caps and run them till they wear out.? There were more fifties Oldsmobile's sold with black walls than white walls back in the day.... See you around the vintage forum soon..... Lost in the fifties .... Tedd
Hey Tedd! That may very well be what I do... I think they're just cheap no-name tires, so I won't feel too bad about warming them up with authority every once in a while.
Old August 19th, 2018, 05:11 PM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

Welcome to the site and it is good to see another 54 here. The 98 is a real cruiser with lots of room. We seem to do a pretty good job of helping each other out on this site. Don't hesitate to ask.
Old August 19th, 2018, 05:49 PM

I can post this elsewhere if needed, but what does everyone do for seatbelts? Tentative plan is just to buy some universal lap belts, drill some holes and bolt them in, but I'm wondering if there are any tips/tricks that work better.

Last edited by bryson; August 19th, 2018 at 06:14 PM.
Old August 20th, 2018, 07:53 AM

For the rears I mounted them on the back seat frame, lots on thick metal there. On the fronts I punched holes under the front seat bottom ( make sure the floor pan is not rusted out) with a plate / bar backing up the holes..... Tedd
Old August 20th, 2018, 08:04 AM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

I just make a reply on the 12th regarding seat belt installation on a 55. Let me see if I can copy the link and post it here.

https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...ldsmobile.html