The Newbie Forum The place where you should introduce yourself. Do not ask technical questions here, use the site forum sections.

Better late than never, - 1971 Cutlass Supreme Convertible

Search this Thread

Old July 29th, 2018, 08:04 AM

Better late than never, - 1971 Cutlass Supreme Convertible

Hello,

I stumbled onto this site a couple of years ago while looking for some basic Oldsmobile info. I joined as a member, but didn't frequent the site at all. I recently started to put some time into my 1971 Cutlass Supreme, and quickly discovered what a great resource this site is, with some incredibly knowledgeable members. So I thought that I would officially introduce myself.

I have a 1971 Cutlass Supreme that I purchased about 33 years ago. At the time I bought it as my daily driver, but I also needed a vehicle to tow my 19 foot boat with. I had been looking for a used Chevy Blazer, but they were all out of my price range. Then I saw the ad for this Cutlass, and it specifically listed that it had a 350/ TH350 combo, which is what all of the Blazers had. So I figured that I could get the same drivetrain that the Blazers had, but in my price range (not realizing all the differences, gearing, weight, etc..), - . I paid $4,000.

I cringe when I think about towing a boat with it now, but it survived! The last time that I towed a boat with it was in the early 1990s, when a main bearing went. I rebuilt the engine, and retired it from towing duty. It's lived in my garage since then, only used on weekends to take the kids out for ice cream etc. The transmission went on it this past spring, so I pulled it and had it rebuilt with a mild street/ strip, and a new converter. Getting it back on the road with the newly rebuilt trans has really ignited an interest in restoring it, and in Oldsmobiles in general. I'm a recent empty-nester, so it will be a good project. I've added Thornton exhaust manifolds and an Edelbrock RPM 2711 with the stock Q-jet.

Thanks,
John

Old July 29th, 2018, 08:19 AM
Administrator

Welcome to the site, looks to be pretty solid.
Old July 29th, 2018, 08:35 AM

Welcome to CO. Thanks for the pics and Good luck.
Old July 29th, 2018, 08:56 AM

Welcome, nice looking car. I had three 71 Cutlass convertibles before switching to my 442 hardtop. Plenty of topics already covered here so do your searching on the site first as you will most likely find your answer.