The Newbie Forum The place where you should introduce yourself. Do not ask technical questions here, use the site forum sections.

just bought an olds 69 98 ls any idea what it's worth?

Search this Thread

Old April 20th, 2017, 03:12 PM

Congratulations Robert! Your car is gorgeous! It is so wonderful to see another proud caregiver to a large Oldsmobile! Enjoy your car, they are so surprising in many aspects and have a lot of character and energy to them!
Old April 20th, 2017, 03:25 PM

Originally Posted by MDchanic
... and 13. Do not put big shiny wheels on that car. We will come and take it away if you do.

- Eric
I second that! Got caught with those on ours when we picked it up. Sigh. At least we have the rare gas cap and everything else not touched from original on the car. At least wheels can easily be returned to stock condition quick enough.
Old April 20th, 2017, 03:41 PM

Originally Posted by MDchanic
We will all have different opinions regarding disk brake conversions.

In regular, low-stress driving, with no racing or towing and no long downhill mountain roads, drums will be fine, you will never notice a difference in operation, and switching to disks will be wasted money.

That being said, disks are more resistant to overheating, which you are only likely to encounter in the situations listed above.

Just remember what they used to tell everyone in driver's ed, but probably don't anymore:
If you drive through a deep puddle, gantly touch the brakes as soon as you are through it, in order to displace the water and dry the brakes, or their operation may be unpredictable if you need to stop within the next mile or so.

- Eric
Eric, I agree with you on this one -so far! - as I was quite leery of the drums on our '66 bringing it home on the road trip. While the car will be converted to a dual circuit carefully, I hope the Cadillac (1966) dual cylinder fits as has been mentioned, the drums did not give one bit of concern. In driving urban and highway, being aware to keep proper distances, the brakes felt safe and sure, no grabbing. And they passed the big test, that is driving across the top of infamous stop and go traffic on the 401 highway in Toronto. The most unnerving thing was folks looking at the car, waving, honking, and getting closer to it as they stared! I feel drums will be fine as long as we drive in the manner you have described!
Old April 20th, 2017, 03:44 PM

Thank you sir I am enjoying the crap out of it so far.
Old April 21st, 2017, 11:25 PM

If you had to restore one it would be a hell of a lot more money than you paid for your car. As long as driving it puts a smile on your face and you enjoy it. It was money well spent. I wouldn't worry about what anyone else say's it's worth I'd just drive it. Nice car good luck with it
Old April 23rd, 2017, 07:23 AM

Originally Posted by Bobbyloads
Thank you sir I am enjoying the crap out of it so far.
That the most important value is seeing your son in the back seat looking out the window seeing the world not looking at a computer screen .The trips to the ice cream stand and long drives were he fall alseep.The trips to the Park and long drives in the autumn to see the leaves change in the forest. My kids reminisce about all those trips and it's Priceless to me so they will be two you.That is what your car worth.
Old April 25th, 2017, 09:05 AM

Thanks guys yes my kid runs to the car as soon as he steps outside its crazy like something draws him to it. He sits in it for long periods of times acting like hes driving and hes not even 1 and a half yet. Every time I take him he laughs and falls a sleep in it its weird like it mellows him out.