The Newbie Forum The place where you should introduce yourself. Do not ask technical questions here, use the site forum sections.

Young Guy with Old Car

Search this Thread

Old June 26th, 2010, 12:14 AM

Young Guy with Old Car

Hey guys! I have currently come into possession of 1985 Oldsmobile Custom Cruiser that my band will be using for traveling

The car is awesome with enough room to carry us and an engine big enough to pull our trailer haha.

It has 124k on it and was barely driven in its lifetime (considering its an 85) and was given to us by a friend who had it sitting for the last five years.

Im doing a basic tune up on the car and was curious if anyone had any input on what i should change/replace/check to ensure we keep this vehicle reliable

Its the 5.0 liter v8 again with 124k
so far i have...

changed the oil
changed the air filter
top off the coolant levels and bled the system of air bubbles
changed the distributer cap
changed the cap button
changed spark plugs/wires

and I have a new fuel filter to put in but I am unsure where the filter would be, does anyone know?

also I bought a set of V belts to replace the existing ones, and i plan to change the throttle cable since the one on the car is wearing out.

so far the car runs pretty awesome considering how longs it been sitting. Does anyone have any ideas what i should check out before putting the car on the road?

Thanks so much guys
Old June 26th, 2010, 12:43 AM

im pretty sure this year is carbureted. if its got the quadrajet, disconnect the fuel line going to the carb, then loosen off the nut that the fuel line screws into, behind it theres a spring with a small filter and that will be the fuel filter. also make sure you have it going the right direction on the new one.
Old June 26th, 2010, 01:38 AM

Young guy with old car, keep it untill you are and old guy and it is an older car and you will have a very expensive toy. Keep it nice very important. I almost 80 and look back and smile. I bought a 30 model A conv ran great looked great for $25.00 drove it for a year and sold it for $15.00 46 Hudson Conv. $75.00 and on and on. can you all remember a new VW $1795. Andy
Old June 26th, 2010, 04:45 AM

Replace the radiator hoses, have the brakes checked, and make sure the tires are in good condtion, if they have been on the car for the last five years I would change them also.
Old June 26th, 2010, 06:03 AM

DO NOT attempt to loosen the small fuel line nut without securing the large nut with a wrench!!
Old June 26th, 2010, 06:06 AM

Welcome!
Those big wagons are way cool and versatile, too! I want a wagon, soon.
Just to add to the above, check the 3 rubber brake hoses (1 at each front wheel and one center over the rear axle). If hard and cracked, replace them so the do not blow on a panic stop. Given its age, I do not suspect they need to be done - just check.

You mentioned topping off the cooling system... How old is the coolant? Change if over 3-4 years old. Do the coolant hoses if they look old.

I think this will be a reliable hauler for your band and equipment!
Old June 26th, 2010, 06:28 PM
Past Administrator

Originally Posted by Blk71SX
DO NOT attempt to loosen the small fuel line nut without securing the large nut with a wrench!!
And if you have them or can afford them use line wrenches, makes the job easier. Brakes are a biggie in my book, be sure you can stop safely before you start going. Inspect those shoes and change them if needed.

Welcome to CO.
Old July 26th, 2010, 02:54 PM

Thanks so much guys!