The Newbie Forum The place where you should introduce yourself. Do not ask technical questions here, use the site forum sections.

Young Cutlass Wagon Owner Saying Hello

Search this Thread

Old April 29th, 2017, 11:11 PM
1993 Cutlass Cruiser

Cool Young Cutlass Wagon Owner Saying Hello

Hello everyone!

I'm the proud owner of a 1993 Cutlass Cruiser. My grandfather was the original owner and purchased it that year. I recently surpassed 98k miles. Essentially, it was my grandfathers "work vehicle", using it to bring materials back and forth to the boatyard because of the large trunk space.

I've always preferred older American cars. I understand that 1993 is not TOO old, but for someone born in 1996 like me, it is, lol.

My first vehicle was a beater, a 2001 Chevrolet Blazer LT that was handed down to me by my father when I got my license at 17. I was just happy to get from point A to point B, no longer having to take the train, bus, or walking to wherever I needed to be.

My second vehicle was a 2003 Blazer Xtreme that I saw for sale at a car show I attended, and knew I had to buy it. Definetely a beautiful vehicle that I sometimes regret selling. Matte midnight purple paint job, 24 inch chrome rims, massive hood scoop, and a great sound system. I was just tired of getting pulled over and ticketed for the tints, so I sold it. (Headlight tints, tail light tints, 5% window tint all around.)

Now I have a 1993 Cutlass Cruiser that I purchased from my grandfather about a year and a half ago.

Personally, my dream car is a 1985 Cutlass Supreme. My father had one when he was in his 20's and he still talks about it as his most favorite car that he has ever owned. He still brags about how much work he put into it, and how people would ask if it was for sale when he was driving around.

My good friend owns a 442, I'm not exactly sure what year it is, but I believe it is a 1962. He put massive amounts of work into it and refuses to drive it on the streets, only on the track. It is definetely a head turner.

My goal with my Cutlass Cruiser is to drop a high performance FWD engine into it and essentially make it a sleeper. It is not every day that you see a fast station wagon. Then again, at 20 years old, I definetely prefer a fast, good looking, head turning vehicle over something that would be considered "practical" by today's standards.

I am not too mechanically inclined to say the least. I have always just purchased parts and had my friends who are mechanics to install whatever it may be that I wanted. Needless to say, I'm not even sure where I'd start with this vehicle.

If anyone could point me in the right direction as to where to start upgrading my vehicle, it would be greatly appreciated!

Old April 30th, 2017, 12:13 PM
Olds Fever

Welcome to the site... What engine is in your Cutlass Cruiser now? If you have a 3300, you might consider a 93/94 Super Charged 3800...
Old April 30th, 2017, 02:25 PM
Administrator

Welcome to the site.
Old April 30th, 2017, 04:09 PM

Welcome aboard
Old April 30th, 2017, 06:23 PM
1993 Cutlass Cruiser

Originally Posted by CRUZN 66
Welcome to the site... What engine is in your Cutlass Cruiser now? If you have a 3300, you might consider a 93/94 Super Charged 3800...
Yup! Currently have the stock 3300 V6 in it. How much do you think the Supercharged 3800 would run me?
Thanks for the reply!
Old April 30th, 2017, 08:13 PM

Welcome, Before doing any major engine swpas/work on the car I'd maybe look for a new set of rims. Give the car a new look and just enjoy it.
Old May 1st, 2017, 09:20 AM
Olds Fever

Originally Posted by Jayyy
Yup! Currently have the stock 3300 V6 in it. How much do you think the Supercharged 3800 would run me?
Thanks for the reply!

Here in the Northeast area, these engines can cost from $750 and up depending on mileage and condition... I happen to have one from a 94 Buick Park Ave which I purchased for a 1988 Ciera project I was going to build... Things changed, and now I may consider a W or E-Body swap instead...
Old May 1st, 2017, 04:39 PM
1993 Cutlass Cruiser

Here in the Northeast area, these engines can cost from $750 and up depending on mileage and condition... I happen to have one from a 94 Buick Park Ave which I purchased for a 1988 Ciera project I was going to build... Things changed, and now I may consider a W or E-Body swap instead...

Ahh, okay, that's not too bad or out of my price range what so ever. I'm currently in the Northeast as well, just moved into the 570/607 area from NYC.
Old May 1st, 2017, 08:41 PM
Hookers under Hood

Welcome Jayyy nice lookin wagon, I agree a nice set of rims would really set your car off. Nice to see young guys into the Olds wagons and keeping them on the road.
Maybe John can hook you up with his 3800SC engine since he's now working on another project.
John is a guy to deal with and always helpful.
Looking forward to hearing more as you begin the transformation.
All the best an keep us posted.
Eric
Old May 1st, 2017, 08:56 PM
1993 Cutlass Cruiser

Originally Posted by 76olds
Welcome Jayyy nice lookin wagon, I agree a nice set of rims would really set your car off. Nice to see young guys into the Olds wagons and keeping them on the road.
Maybe John can hook you up with his 3800SC engine since he's now working on another project.
John is a guy to deal with and always helpful.
Looking forward to hearing more as you begin the transformation.
All the best an keep us posted.
Eric
Thank you for the warm welcome! I was looking at rims recently. I currently have 13 inch wheels on the wagon with plain Oldsmobile hubcaps. I do love how the whitewall tires I slapped on them make the car look a bit older than it actually is.

The Blazer Xtreme I had before I picked up the wagon had some huge chrome rims on it and I loved the look, was thinking of doing the same to the Cutlass.

I took this picture the day I saw it at the car show and purchased it on the spot. Went to the bank, took out the money from my savings account, and drove it home that day. I took the rims off and sold the whole set of 4 for $2,000 and put the stock rims on before I sold the vehicle.
​​​​​​

I was looking at a set of Chrome Regency rims, not as pricey as the rims on the Blazer, but definetely look nice. Having my own bills now sucks as I got older, not 17 anymore where my parents paid most of my bills! Lol.

The set I'm looking at is 18 inches, so I'm pretty sure I'd have to shave the wheel wells down a bit to get them to fit.

What do you think? Do you have any suggestions for a different set of rims that may look nicer and aren't too too pricey?

Again, thank you for the warm welcome!​​
Old May 1st, 2017, 09:11 PM
Hookers under Hood

I really couldn't offer up any suggestions on rims, I have been running Cragar SS rims since the early 80's and haven't looked at any replacements. I'm just hooked on the Old school cragar look. I'm not sure how 18's would look on your wagon, They seem a little big for me although they may look awesome on your wagon.
I have 18's on my Pontiac G8 @ $1270 for 18" falken Azenis FK453'S last year almost killed me haha, so I would stay away from 18 inch for anything else I own LOL.
Pics would be great to see if you happen to go with the 18's thou.
Great to have you here with us.

Eric
Old May 1st, 2017, 09:23 PM
1993 Cutlass Cruiser

Originally Posted by 76olds
I really couldn't offer up any suggestions on rims, I have been running Cragar SS rims since the early 80's and haven't looked at any replacements. I'm just hooked on the Old school cragar look. I'm not sure how 18's would look on your wagon, They seem a little big for me although they may look awesome on your wagon.
I have 18's on my Pontiac G8 @ $1270 for 18" falken Azenis FK453'S last year almost killed me haha, so I would stay away from 18 inch for anything else I own LOL.
Pics would be great to see if you happen to go with the 18's thou.
Great to have you here with us.

Eric
I was thinking a set of replica Dayton Wire Wheels to add to the old school look. I personally have always been a fan of the IROC rims as well.

Whichever I decide to go with I will definetely keep my progress posted for some constructive criticism!

​​​​​​The huge rims on the Blazer almost killed me too so I know where you're coming from! I hit a pothole once at night since I couldn't really see (Headlight tints, definetely a terrible idea!), and since the Blazer was lowered a tad, the pothole swallowed the whole drivers side tire and destroyed it into a million pieces. The car slammed onto the ground, destroyed most of the front end from underneath, and slid right into a guardrail. I had to buy one of those rims again just to sell the whole set! Lol. After that I got it repaired, slapped the stock rims on and sold it!

This is what it looked like before I sold it. Unfortunately, the purple was a custom plastidip color, so I peeled it all off and it was black underneath. Had to buy a new Blazer Xtreme bumper too!​​
Old May 2nd, 2017, 10:36 AM
Olds Fever

Originally Posted by Jayyy
Thank you for the warm welcome! I was looking at rims recently. I currently have 13 inch wheels on the wagon with plain Oldsmobile hubcaps. I do love how the whitewall tires I slapped on them make the car look a bit older than it actually is.
​​
Are you sure you have 13" wheels? According to my info, 93 should have 14" wheels (actually 92 thru 96)...
As for wheel choices, IMO don't over do it for a Ciera... I have a 96 Ciera and I currently have 15" Alero wheels on it and I am very happy with the look... At one time I also used American Racing AR-24 which is also a sharp wheel for the Ciera... This is my Ciera with the Alero wheels:

Old May 2nd, 2017, 10:48 AM
1993 Cutlass Cruiser

Are you sure you have 13" wheels? According to my info, 93 should have 14" wheels (actually 92 thru 96)...
As for wheel choices, IMO don't over do it for a Ciera... I have a 96 Ciera and I currently have 15" Alero wheels on it and I am very happy with the look... At one time I also used American Racing AR-24 which is also a sharp wheel for the Ciera... This is my Ciera with the Alero wheels:
Yes, they're 14 inch wheels. I was watching some videos of people having wagons with hydraulics and one of them said 13 inches was a good size for that modification so it was in my head... Lol.

​​​​​​As you can tell I'm looking at a whole bunch of different modications to apply to my wagon. Rims are definetely on the top of my list along with making it a little bit faster.
Old May 4th, 2017, 03:45 PM
Oldsdruid

I dig wagons. Have had many of them over the years. I also dig young bucks who are into older cars, and yes a 93 is all over 25 yrs old so it qualifies as an older car in my book. Though I WAS astonished to see a 91 Honda Civic wearing VA antique plates last weekend... I have trouble with concept of a Honda of any vintage being classed as an antique car.

I will say this. A young buck driving a station wagon can give parents of teenage daughters conniption fits.
Old February 2nd, 2020, 09:48 AM
Olds Collector

93 wagon

Hi Jayyy: Welcome to the site. Those are nice wagons. The 3300 is a good motor and will last a long time. i would not change the motor since it is responsive and peppy as is. The Alero wheels are a good idea. You can find them in a junk yard, bolt on nice without problems and not crazy money like aftermarket wheels. I don't like aftermarket wheels because I have heard too many stories about them falling apart. My 92 Ciera wagon has 200K on it. Regards, Trent in Los Angeles

Old February 2nd, 2020, 11:49 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by vistacruiser1971
Hi Jayyy: Welcome to the site. Those are nice wagons. The 3300 is a good motor and will last a long time. i would not change the motor since it is responsive and peppy as is. The Alero wheels are a good idea. You can find them in a junk yard, bolt on nice without problems and not crazy money like aftermarket wheels. I don't like aftermarket wheels because I have heard too many stories about them falling apart. My 92 Ciera wagon has 200K on it. Regards, Trent in Los Angeles
Unfortunately, Jayyy hasn't logged into this site since mid-2017.
Old February 2nd, 2020, 12:41 PM
Olds Collector

Ciera Wagon

HI Joe: Yes, that seems to happen a lot. I guess car flippers sell the car and move on or loose interest. I hope things are good with you and you have a great 2010!! How is the 88 Ciera wagon doing? Regards, Trent in Los Angeles
Old February 2nd, 2020, 02:33 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by vistacruiser1971
HI Joe: Yes, that seems to happen a lot. I guess car flippers sell the car and move on or loose interest. I hope things are good with you and you have a great 2010!! How is the 88 Ciera wagon doing? Regards, Trent in Los Angeles
Firenza wagon, actually. I got it running and registered and have driven it a little. It needs a floorpan repair, which is surprising as the rest of the car is rust-free. I'm guessing there is/was a water leak.
Old February 2nd, 2020, 04:38 PM
Olds Collector

Ciera wagon

Hi Joe: Of course, it is a shift car. The frond end looks like a reduced Ciera front end. I saw the front in my mind. Rare car, nice you got to save it. Couple of years ago, I saw an early Firenza wagon out here with the wood sides. It was still a work car going daily but tired looking. Regards, Trent in Los Angeles