The Newbie Forum The place where you should introduce yourself. Do not ask technical questions here, use the site forum sections.

Turn signal lever switch control

Search this Thread

Old June 5th, 2016, 05:09 AM

Turn signal lever switch control

Hello all.
I inherited a 1984 Oldsmobile Delta 88 from my uncles & she's in great shape!

I got a new turn signal lever (with cruise control and delayed wipers also) but now my wipers will not turn off.
The old LEVER worked the delays but the mist button was broken and spun around.
Is it possible the mechanism/switch in the steering column is defective?
If so. where would I get this part? Also any instructions on how to replace it would be greatly appreciated!

Also attached are some photos/video of the hole where is the lever plugs into and me unplugging the motor etc..
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg
IMG_6073.jpeg (199.8 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg
IMG_6074.JPG (213.7 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg
IMG_6075.JPG (173.1 KB, 5 views)
File Type: png
PastedGraphic-2.png (227.5 KB, 5 views)
Attached Files
File Type: mov
IMG_6077.mov (1.19 MB, 6 views)
File Type: mov
IMG_6076.mov (911.9 KB, 4 views)
Old June 5th, 2016, 07:02 AM
Old(s) Fart

There are some fragile parts in the lever and switch that require a careful hand to avoid breakage when replacing the lever. The mist part of the lever is splined to the metal shaft. These plastic splines strip in the handle, causing the spinning problem. I have exactly the same problem on my 85. The inboard end of the plastic part of the lever also has small tabs that fit into the switch in the steering column. if these tabs or the mating receptacles on the switch have been damaged, that will also cause the problem.

When replacing the lever, you need to fish the cruise control wire down the column. This requires removing the lower dash trim, the bottom A/C duct, and unbolting the column support bracket from the bottom of the dash and the column. Also, unless you fished a string up from the bottom when you pulled the old wire out, you will have a difficult time getting the new one back down.

If the switch in the column is damaged, replacement requires disassembly of the upper part of the column. Note that the switch is different for a tilt column vs. a non-tilt column.
Old June 5th, 2016, 09:01 AM

Hi Joe. Thank you for the fast reply. I have it all taken apart and I do have a fish line replace. I do have a tilt steering. Do you know where I can get The switch that is inside the steering column?
Also do you have any diagram as to how to disassemble?

Thank you.
Old June 5th, 2016, 09:09 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Stephen0523
Hi Joe. Thank you for the fast reply. I have it all taken apart and I do have a fish line replace. I do have a tilt steering. Do you know where I can get The switch that is inside the steering column?
Also do you have any diagram as to how to disassemble?

Thank you.
You can get the switch from RockAuto. The diagram is in the Chassis Service Manual. You'll need a steering wheel puller and lock plate spring compressor also.
Old June 5th, 2016, 01:40 PM

OK great! I do not have a chassis Service manual. But I just ordered the Haynes manual so hopefully it will be in there.
Old June 5th, 2016, 03:31 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Stephen0523
OK great! I do not have a chassis Service manual. But I just ordered the Haynes manual so hopefully it will be in there.
That's unfortunate. The Haynes/Motors/Chilton manuals are pretty worthless. The factory Chassis Service Manual can be had on ebay for about $15.
Old June 5th, 2016, 03:53 PM

LOL!
Ordering now.
Old September 21st, 2016, 09:12 AM

Hi all. Just thought I'd give an update. It was more work to replace the switch than is was a whole new column! So I brand-new column and everything is superduper! Thank you all for your help.