The Newbie Forum The place where you should introduce yourself. Do not ask technical questions here, use the site forum sections.

Squeaking engine

Search this Thread

Old April 9th, 2013, 03:12 PM

Squeaking engine

Hello all,
I hope everyone is doing ok. I'm not new to the site but haven't post but I think 5 times. Here's my dilemma. I have a 1972 cutlass,455, 4-spd, 3:90s, I have this annoying engine squeak and can't seem to put my hands on it. I removed all the belts and it's still present. I raised the car up and supported it and while running I scoped,(rubber hose), the underside of the car. The sound is definitely coming from the passenger side between the oil filter housing and the freeze plug. Didn't hear anything around the pilot bearing. STUMPPED!!! I don't want to pull the engine. It runs strong, good oil pressure and no knocks or ticks. Any help in the right direction would be greatly appreciated. I will pull it if I have to. Wanted to check with you guys first. HHHEEELLLPPP!!.
Old April 9th, 2013, 03:59 PM

Wow...that is weird.. what else would be moving back in the lower part of the engine but the crank and rods?? Or is the noise coming from something ese and transfering thru the block? Or could it be the oil pump? I'm stumped too. hopefully someone can help. Let us know what you find.
Old April 9th, 2013, 04:04 PM
car guy

Not what you want to hear but my money is on a bearing
Old April 9th, 2013, 04:07 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Before pulling the engine, I'd cut open the oil filter to see if there's any glitter in there.

If there is, at least the rest of your decision's easy.

- Eric
Old April 9th, 2013, 04:39 PM

I had the same noise in my g block 400 and it turned out to be a connecting rod bearing. Same thing,loud squeaking noise,passenger side right after I did a cam swap,intake,carb it was my own fault though I over reved it......a few times! Lol

Last edited by Stevec; April 9th, 2013 at 04:44 PM.
Old April 10th, 2013, 08:24 AM

Could it be an exhaust manifold leaking?
Old April 10th, 2013, 09:19 AM

Squeaking Engine

Thanks guys, I'm going to drain my oil and remove my filter and check for metal shavings. The over revving may have contributed to my problem. We will see here in a little while. I'm glad to have mentioned this to you guys. My brother had tore my engine down to do a rebuild and in the middle of it he passed. He was 39 yrs old. I loved my olds and didn't know too much about the internals. Started reading a lot after about 6 months of opening my garage and looking at my tore down olds. o
OH well, I live and learn. This time I will be more careful. Not too many olds folks around here. I think I'm the sole survivor. Will check back later.
Old April 10th, 2013, 09:30 AM
CH3NO2 LEARN IT BURN IT

Vince I replied to you on the other site today before I opened this site. Here is a replay of said post.
<"Thats kind of close to the oil pump and distributor. Id pull the distributor and see if it spins freely. Check the oil pump drive shaft. Drive the oil pump with a long extension and a socket securely taped to the extension so it doesn't fall into engine. Spin it up with a 1/2" drill that has some power RPMs and torque and see if the pumps squeaking. Headers will squeak if there is some interference with something. By the way Hows the oil pressure? Did you drain the pan and inspect the oil for metal as I suggested? Cut the oil filter open and inspect for the same. Did you pull the flywheel inspection cover to see if its the culprit. This will allow inspection of the clutch & flywheel bolts. I've seen them come loose and squeak before total failure! That will cut off your right foot as it chews through the trans tunnel. Next if your planning on yanking the engine your most likely separating the tranny. Run it with the trans off just to eliminate it the pilot and throw-out. FYI once this post gets buried down a page or two it can be easily ignored. Might be better to make direct contact then post the fix later to complete the thread for data compiling purposes of the site admin.> The FYI applies to the other site...end quote
Try all this before tearing it down.
Old April 10th, 2013, 01:39 PM

There was a post with video on this site a while back and in the video the engine was squeaking. Turned out to be a bearing as well. I don't know if the video is still on here though.
Old April 10th, 2013, 02:07 PM

Originally Posted by Vincent Woodard
Thanks guys, I'm going to drain my oil and remove my filter and check for metal shavings. The over revving may have contributed to my problem. We will see here in a little while. I'm glad to have mentioned this to you guys. My brother had tore my engine down to do a rebuild and in the middle of it he passed. He was 39 yrs old. I loved my olds and didn't know too much about the internals. Started reading a lot after about 6 months of opening my garage and looking at my tore down olds. o
OH well, I live and learn. This time I will be more careful. Not too many olds folks around here. I think I'm the sole survivor. Will check back later.
Sorry to hear about your brother.

It sounds like you might've tore up those Raleigh streets one time too many .

Several of the "not too many Olds folks" in Raleigh post on this website. I'm 45 minutes east of you.
Old April 10th, 2013, 02:33 PM

Found it! It was posted by sicky olds and it was called Eek!!! No lickey this noise. Does your car sound like that?
Old April 11th, 2013, 09:16 AM
CH3NO2 LEARN IT BURN IT

Ahhh. Over Revved. You left that "minor" detail out till now Vince. I'd still be inclined to follow the normal troubleshooting rules of "start simple work your way in" (oil and filter check time). If you have an internal "squeak" and the oil isn't stopping said squeak, yes, you have a problem Houston. Cant believe you don't hear a knock??? The bearing may be thoroughly wiped and spinning in the main saddle or in the rod. I wouldn't run it much more if at all. Do the oil and filter check now. If lots of metal is found, don't bother running it again time to yank er out. Make sure you take pictures of the carnage. Still have never heard a wiped bearing squeal... Knock like hell yes but not a squeak/squeal.
Old April 11th, 2013, 09:35 AM

Squeaking Engine

Originally Posted by droldsmorland
Ahhh. Over Revved. You left that "minor" detail out till now Vince. I'd still be inclined to follow the normal troubleshooting rules of "start simple work your way in" (oil and filter check time). If you have an internal "squeak" and the oil isn't stopping said squeak, yes, you have a problem Houston. Cant believe you don't hear a knock??? The bearing may be thoroughly wiped and spinning in the main saddle or in the rod. I wouldn't run it much more if at all. Do the oil and filter check now. If lots of metal is found, don't bother running it again time to yank er out. Make sure you take pictures of the carnage. Still have never heard a wiped bearing squeal... Knock like hell yes but not a squeak/squeal.
Thanks Doc, waiting on my daughter to get home from school. My grandson is a little too busy for me. But as soon as I hear her car drive up it's on. Will keep you posted. And before I forget, I wasn't disregarding what you advised me on the other olds site to check but was just looking for answers. Your advise seem to stick to my brain. Thanks again.
Old April 11th, 2013, 02:29 PM

Metal shavings in.the oil is what i found. I now know what i have to do.
Old April 11th, 2013, 04:49 PM
Administrator

That sux!
Old April 11th, 2013, 05:39 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Sorry. Keep us posted on what you find.

- Eric
Old April 12th, 2013, 06:32 AM
CH3NO2 LEARN IT BURN IT

Originally Posted by Vincent Woodard
Thanks Doc, waiting on my daughter to get home from school. My grandson is a little too busy for me. But as soon as I hear her car drive up it's on. Will keep you posted. And before I forget, I wasn't disregarding what you advised me on the other olds site to check but was just looking for answers. Your advise seem to stick to my brain. Thanks again.
No offence taken at all just trying to help, as that's what were all here for. Most of us here are on the other sites as well. Did you find a ton of metal or a trace of metal?
Old April 12th, 2013, 07:38 AM

Squeaking Engine

Originally Posted by droldsmorland
No offence taken at all just trying to help, as that's what were all here for. Most of us here are on the other sites as well. Did you find a ton of metal or a trace of metal?
I found traces of metal.