The Newbie Forum The place where you should introduce yourself. Do not ask technical questions here, use the site forum sections.

spring start up

Search this Thread

Old February 28th, 2020, 10:04 PM

spring start up

i have 71 olds 455 that was recently rebuilt and broken in, i have maybe one hundred hour of running time after break in time. no street time as of yet . the car has been stored all winter i haven't started it in about six or seven month because of cold weather. so my question is should i be concern when i go to start it in another month. what do you guys do for hot rod after its been sitting all winter ... i was starting it at least once a month to help keep the lifter pump up and lubed until i get the car finish. spring is around the corner now it's time to start work on the car again. any opinion or advice will be appreciated i'm not good at engine work so i hope i don't have to take the distributor out to prime the pumped
Old February 29th, 2020, 06:18 AM
Administrator

Check the oil level, prime the carb, and turn the key.
Old February 29th, 2020, 07:44 AM

What he said.... No biggie. If it was put away decently it should be a turn of the key from startup..... Tedd
Old February 29th, 2020, 08:01 AM
CH3NO2 LEARN IT BURN IT

I usually like a longer crank time. I crank it until the oil gauge comes up then hit the gas twice and fire it up.
Old February 29th, 2020, 08:50 AM

The 64 F-85 has been sitting with the battery disconnected. Today I plan on re-connecting the battery and starting the car and going for ride. That's it.
Old February 29th, 2020, 11:40 AM

Where do you live where it was too cold to start in August? Like was said, no special precautions are necessary as long as you have fuel and a good battery. If anything you might want to have a can of starter fluid on hand just in case it doesn't want to fire due to a dry carb and a reluctant fuel pump.
Old February 29th, 2020, 12:00 PM

I actually started all of mine today and pulled them outside and let them run .I put the trickle charger on the batteries in advance to make sure they were fully charged pumped the gas and away they went .The 76 455 did had a ticking lifter for a few minutes but quieted down after warm up.I try to do this a few times over the winter ,since i put them away in october and they won't see the road again until about april. Winters are way too long here in the northeast.One thing i would suggest it to make sure no little critters found their way in the exhaust ,air cleaner ,etc.or chewed on any wiring.
Old February 29th, 2020, 08:15 PM

i appreciate the feedback. i have read a lot of bad story about olds engine wearing down cam lobe .i guess that's my concern
Old February 29th, 2020, 08:37 PM

live in wisconsin the last time it was started was around the end of sept. so i guest 5 month
Old February 29th, 2020, 08:38 PM

It will usually take a bit of cranking to start after sitting that long,, which is good as it gets the oil pumping.
As for starting a car up once a month during the winter, I'm of the opinion that it is a bad practice as all it does is contaminate the oil with combustion moisture. Unless you take the car for a drive to get it warm enough to evaporate the moisture in the oil you are doing g more harm than good to the engine.
Old March 2nd, 2020, 06:38 AM

100 hours of run time, but no street time? So you haven't drivin it yet?
Old March 2nd, 2020, 03:30 PM

oops... one to many zeros. as of now this is a two and half year build