The Newbie Forum The place where you should introduce yourself. Do not ask technical questions here, use the site forum sections.

This site is Great!

Search this Thread

Old March 30th, 2019, 04:16 AM

This site is Great!

I skipped right over the Newbie thing and started posting questions and have gotten a lot of help. Answers I couldn't find anywhere else. Though I owned a few Cutlass' in the 70's I haven't had one since. For the past 5 years I've been looking at them on Ebay but holding off. So I made the leap 3 months ago. It would have been a good idea to ask the wife first. I'm happy and she is pissed. The situation is slowly working out. I don't recommend going about it that way. It wasn't my intention to actually buy what I was bidding on, I just wanted to see where the bidding would go. Then he took the reserve off and I was the high bidder. I got what was a pretty good deal but am slowly pumping money into it. So the good deal is a relative thing. But I am thoroughly enjoying working on it, which is really important to me. The paint was lifting in a few spots but slowly stated in a lot of places. It currently is being stripped. I think we have counted 6 layers of paint, including one with flames on it. I can only imagine the history of this car. But I will know its future with me going down the highway with the top down! Thanks again to the guys that have helped me out along the way! Steve Worthing

Steve
Old March 30th, 2019, 04:35 AM
Randy C.

You found the best Olds site there is in today's world! Enjoy the work on your '69 and ask questions when you have them. It's the best place to get professional answers on problems you have with your car. I've enjoyed this site for over 10 years and it has been a tremendous help for me.

Randy C.

'68 4-4-2 convertible
'69 4-4-2 convertible
Old March 30th, 2019, 05:01 AM

I agree with Randy 100%! The knowledge and professionalism of the members on this site is staggering! It truly is the best olds site out there! Good luck with your build!
Old March 30th, 2019, 05:30 AM

I also agree that this site is the best! Congrats on your new ride, though the process may have been ill advised. Hopefully she gets over it and loves the car as much as you do. Welcome to the site.
Old March 30th, 2019, 06:14 AM
Administrator

Welcome to the site, congrats and hope the Mrs comes around.
Old March 30th, 2019, 07:27 AM
Oldsdruid

Ride her around with the car top down some this summer and she'll come around. May even take it away from you!

Smoky Mountain Olds Club is in your area. Good people. You can find their contact info on the Oldsmobile Club of America site but they've changed it to where you have to sign in to view individual groups. www.oldsmobileclub.org
Old March 30th, 2019, 02:31 PM

Welcome, nice car!
Old March 30th, 2019, 03:12 PM
CH3NO2 LEARN IT BURN IT

Is it an "S" or 442? Stick or Auto? Either way cool car. Kinda partial to 68-69. Are you going with the OEM color? Post the firewall tag and vin tag we can decipher it if needed.
Old March 30th, 2019, 06:30 PM

Welcome! Looks like a nice ride.
Old March 31st, 2019, 05:57 AM

Well, I've fallen behind on a couple posts so I'll answer a few now. It is an "S" automatic with a bench seat. Actually someone put some cheesy buckets in so I found a bench with an armrest that I will have reupholstered. It came with a 350ci but now has a 1973 455 with early heads on it. That info is thanks to Joe P. Aluminium intake, lots of chrome brackets etc. in the engine compartment. The rear has been changed to I think a 3:55 or higher. Must have a huge carb because I've never seen something guzzle gas like this. I mean possibly 5 mpg. It's pretty it is running rich, I just haven't had time to play with that. It came from the factory Meadow Green with a black interior. It has been painted maroon, gold, maroon again but with flames this time, a different gold, green, then the current very glowing green. The paint was lifting and you probably could measure the thickness with a ruler. This car has been played with by many owners. It's being stripped at the moment and since the wife was not part of my decision to by it I have decided to include her in the color decision. I think we are going with Sequoia Green. I goes well with the tan/saddle interior. Almost forgot the VIN 336679M182047. Block # 396021Fa, down under the heads is a #33M326551G heads. The floors and truck are solid, a little bondo here and there as we strip it but all in all pretty solid and should clean up nice.
Old March 31st, 2019, 08:28 AM

Welcome! Nice '69 Convertible!

Originally Posted by Phoenix8990
Well, . Almost forgot the VIN 336679M182047. Block # 396021Fa, down under the heads is a #33M326551G heads. The floors and truck are solid, a little bondo here and there as we strip it but all in all pretty solid and should clean up nice.
The number on the 455 heads that you mention above is the VIN "derivative" of the car that the engine was born with. The last six digits would match with the last six digits of the car it cam from. It can be deciphered as:
  1. "3" = GM Division = Oldsmobile
  2. "3" = year of engine = 1973
  3. "M" = Lansing Michigan plant
  4. "326551" = build sequence number of the car (not the engine)
    1. If the 455 engine has not been tinkered with, the "serial number" of the engine is stamped into the upright oil fill tube. But these are easily replaced for any of a number of reasons.
    2. If you still have the 350 that was in the car when you bought it, and it was the original engine, that engine will have a VIN derivative in the same location with the last six digits matching your VIN on the dash panel.
We would love to see progress pics!

Good luck with the car... and the wife!