The Newbie Forum The place where you should introduce yourself. Do not ask technical questions here, use the site forum sections.

Seat Back Lock Button & Escutcheon Assembly Removal

Search this Thread

Old May 14th, 2012, 06:56 AM

Seat Back Lock Button & Escutcheon Assembly Removal

I need help regarding removing the lock button & escutcheon assembly from the bucket seat back of my 1969 Cutlass. I have to repaint my seat backs. I did this twelve years ago when I purchased my Cutlass; however, I broke both assemblies during removal. I have tried everything from screw drivers to trim removal tools. The service manual is of no help, as it just states remove the escutcheon assembly. I am hoping that I do not have to repaint the seat backs while still on the seat.
Any advice will be most appreciated. I'm greatful I found this website.
Old May 14th, 2012, 07:07 AM

Originally Posted by SIRJR
I need help regarding removing the lock button & escutcheon assembly from the bucket seat back of my 1969 Cutlass. I have to repaint my seat backs. I did this twelve years ago when I purchased my Cutlass; however, I broke both assemblies during removal. I have tried everything from screw drivers to trim removal tools. The service manual is of no help, as it just states remove the escutcheon assembly. I am hoping that I do not have to repaint the seat backs while still on the seat.
Any advice will be most appreciated. I'm greatful I found this website.
The lock button trim has two tabs, one on each side, that you can push in with a feeler gauge or small screwdriver. You have to stick them between the seat back plastic and the trim piece.
Old May 14th, 2012, 11:51 AM

Seat Back Escutcheon

Thank you so mcuh for the reply. How much pressure should I be using? Should I be pushing in from the sides or should I try to wedge the screw driver down into where the escutcheon assembly is into the seatback?
Your Cutlass is beautiful. I thought I had alot of work with mine; however, after seeing your detailed pictorial, I had it easy!
Old May 14th, 2012, 12:33 PM

A putty knife works well, one with a little flex to it.
Old May 16th, 2012, 03:04 AM

I purchased two different sizes of plastic putty knives yesterday from my local hardware store. I will attempt the assembly removal again tonight.

One other question I forgot to ask: does it matter if the seatback is in the upright or folded down position when I am trying to remove the assembly?

Thank you.
Old May 16th, 2012, 04:18 AM

Originally Posted by SIRJR
I purchased two different sizes of plastic putty knives yesterday from my local hardware store. I will attempt the assembly removal again tonight.

One other question I forgot to ask: does it matter if the seatback is in the upright or folded down position when I am trying to remove the assembly?

Thank you.
It doesn't matter but it's a lot easier when the seat back is folded down and laying in front of you.