The Newbie Forum The place where you should introduce yourself. Do not ask technical questions here, use the site forum sections.

*** Scammer Alert ***

Search this Thread

Old September 28th, 2011, 05:25 PM

*** Scammer Alert ***

This is not easy for me to post this difficult information on a place/board I enjoy reviewing and reading during my free time. The knowledge I have gained reading all of your posts regarding the same passion for Oldsmobile’s we all share is priceless to me. (I also review ROP all of the time) I fully understand I am a considered a "Newbie,” but the fact of the matter is I have been reading these boards for a few years now and recent events have propelled me to tell my story about my interactions with a member who is nothing more than a fraud. I guess I have a few questions before I reveal this person’s identity b/c I do not want to compromise the integrity of this place. Mind you, I also do not want anyone else to be put through the hell this person has put me through. He currently owes me $3625.00 for parts I do not want and would not have purchased if I would have met him face to face. They are not what he promised and considering he is a guy who does a great deal of business here and on ROP, I would hate to have anyone else be scammed by this person. I am still floored I trusted this guy…

Here are some facts:

1. Everything I will write will be backed up with actual detailed pictures, emails and verified bank statements of all of the transactions dealing with this member. I sent this guy $8400.00!

2. All I ever wanted was the correct OEM original parts for my 1970 W30 & W31. My dad and I have worked our tails off in preparation for the frame off’s of these cars and this guy said he had nothing but OEM original parts to offer us. I just wanted my cars to be complete and he promised me he had everything and then some. (not to mention he says he has a few of these cars currently and works on them all of the time)

3. He has promised multiple times he will refund me 100% on whatever I do not want and actually sent me $3500 back since the restamps and fake transmissions were just an absolute joke….

I am going after this person legally and I am angry this person has stolen my money I have saved for a number of years. I am just a normal Joe who loves Oldsmobile’s, bottom line. It has been three weeks since any form of contact with this guy has taken place, so I can only assume he will not own up to his word and refund my money. I have his parts in the boxes he sent to me and ready to ship back to him once I receive my money. I am not a thief and I just cannot trust anything this guy has sent me. (He did actually come through with one nice piece and I will send this back to him as well if he wants it)

Where is the best place to post this information? (Location on the board)

Please let me know your thoughts when you get a chance.

Do you want people like this on your boards selling fake or misrepresented parts and stealing your hard earned money?

Please advise...
Old September 28th, 2011, 05:51 PM

Originally Posted by 60193W30
Please let me know your thoughts when you get a chance.

Please advise...
This forum has allowed me buy and sell parts with no major issues as of yet. So, I would be curious to know who you are referring to in order to protect any future purchase that I or other fellow forum members make.

If your concerns are legit and you have ample evidence of being defrauded of your money, I would make it known so others can either:

Give advice
Sight similar experiences
Refute your experience
Allow alleged wrongdoer to defend himself

Just my two cents, and I commend you for taking the time to inform us of your plight and I hope you recover your money.

d1
Old September 28th, 2011, 06:22 PM

X2 for defiant1
Old September 28th, 2011, 06:55 PM

X3
Old September 28th, 2011, 07:25 PM

I am 100% legit & my proof is a smoking gun...
This guy tried to scam me to the nth degree...
I have purchased several original "W Machine" parts from various people and everything has gone very smoothly...
Good honest people...
I like your idea defiant1...

Come forward man and defend the garbage you sent us & explain your 100% refund policy...

I do not want ANY of your parts and just want my money back!
Old September 28th, 2011, 07:27 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

x4.

I would just add that you should keep it objective, no "He was trying to..." or "He thought..." Just the facts.

Of course, the members of the forum would also be glad to hear what the other party has to say, so long as it's civil.

- Eric
Old September 28th, 2011, 07:32 PM

My best recomendation for you would be stick to the facts. Try not to let your emotions cloud the reality of this scam you have been a victim of. Do not make slanderous remarks without being able to back them up with photos and documentation. It's very thoughtful of you, to want to look out for your fellow Olds enthusiasts. Please don't hurt yourself by doing this. You may want to wait until all of the legal BS is behind you.
Old September 28th, 2011, 07:44 PM

I am not letting my emotions get to me man…
Facts are facts…
There is NO question what happened…
I would like to give the guy a chance to explain himself…
He has been dodging me for 3 weeks & owes me $3625.00…
Old September 28th, 2011, 07:58 PM

X5

And just from personal experience, i've bought from a couple guys on this forum and they've gone above and beyond my expectations of what I needed.. All good products at a fair price..

But man.. 8000 dollars of parts is alot of parts, that's like.. 8 times what I paid for my cutlass. I hope things work out for ya.

Cheers,

Tony
Old September 28th, 2011, 09:00 PM
car guy

lets hear / see the facts
Old September 29th, 2011, 01:43 AM

Thats alot of money. I hope you can get it all figured out. Good luck.
Old September 29th, 2011, 02:18 AM

X2 on all the above. $8400 is alot of money to pay for parts over the net. i hope it all works out but in the future i would buy a smaller amount as a first purchase from someone you cant see and see how that goes. if a small amount works out then try for something more. for $8400 i would even consider 3 or 4 deals instead of one big one. as a seller i would even be uncomfortable with a big deal like this for parts. now a car would be a differant story but this would be alot of parts that can be broken up in smaller deals. good luck and hope everything works for the better.
Old September 29th, 2011, 04:06 AM

Lets be clear...
I sent him $8400.00 for a list of parts... (I have it all documented and confirmed by him in a ton of emails dating back May 2011)
The guy currently owes me $3625.... (I do not want anything he sent me... Would you???)
He sent me back $3500 for the fraud/fake restamped carbs and fake OW/M21 KA transmissions... (2 trans/2 Carbs which i sent back to him)
I also have a 3.42 TM rear I will send him that I have installed in my car.... ($1200 This seems to be alright and I told him this)
I have not heard from him in over three weeks but he continues to post on here and ROP...
Old September 29th, 2011, 04:32 AM

why start this if you are not putting all the cards on the table ?
Old September 29th, 2011, 04:41 AM

So your saying the guy sold you parts as OEM, but when you got them they were restamps?
Old September 29th, 2011, 05:19 AM

sorry to hear that man hope everything works out for you it's a shame someone would treat a fellow oldsmobile lover like that!
Old September 29th, 2011, 05:58 AM
71 cutlass convertible

Only thing I have to add is maybe talk to one of the mods first.

Keep us informed

Larry
Old September 29th, 2011, 06:36 AM

Not everyone on here is a fine upstanding citizen. Many are here just to sell parts. But regardless of that I have to question your motives. I assume you're trying to shame this person into coming forward or make us aware there is a scammer in our midst. Either tact doesn't seem to be working. Do you really think that is going to work? He had no problem selling you bogus parts so I'll guess his conscientious is clear on that matter. From your posts it looks like you're out $125 and you have some bogus parts? You took the step to go this far so what's the deal or just end this thread. It's starting to sound like conspiracy theory at this point.
Old September 29th, 2011, 07:29 AM
Official Tire Kicker

I agree with Trip, if you have proof and you really got scammed why come on here and say you have proof but not show it, and say the guy is a member here and not name him. Seems kind of pointless since no one will know who or what you are talking about. If what you say is true then you should have no problem naming the person and showing the proof, otherwise some one else may fall prey to this person and not know it. All I know for sure is that it isn't me since I haven't sold anything lately.
Old September 29th, 2011, 08:14 AM
Administrator

I would like to keep an open mind until I hear the facts from both sides!!!!
Old September 29th, 2011, 08:27 AM

Lets not let this go sideways guys. I understand all the concerns stated. We have struggled with this issue in the past and it is best settled between the two parties involved in the transaction. Legal issues are not part of this sites responsibility nor is it in the best interest of the site to start a list of possible scammer's. Doing so would eventually destroy the site when some defending the accused and some defending the accuser.

I do hope that this is resolved because I am a normal guy and I also save my hard earned money to buy parts and have had 100% good fortune buying parts on this site. I also tend to trust people until they screw me then I do not give them second chances and will go after them with all means necessary to recover my money.
Old September 29th, 2011, 11:32 AM
Loose Radical

Complete it or close it.

This type of post just casts a pall over anyone looking to sell. That is not fair or respectable.

All that I have dealt with here were fantastic.
Did I deal with this person and get lucky? Hanging this out there just creates a negative environment for parts. We don't need to suspect everyone.
Old September 29th, 2011, 11:37 AM

Originally Posted by slowolds
all that i have dealt with here were fantastic.
x2
Old September 29th, 2011, 11:56 AM

Fellas…
Believe me, it was never my intention to bring this into a forum like this. I want to trust people who share the love for Oldsmobile’s like I do!!! I just wanted to place my hard earned money into my passion…. My W Machines. This has been terrible and I would never want anyone else to go through this….

Contact has been made from the other party and my money is in the mail. (allegedly) I will send these parts back as they were sent to me and never deal with this person again. I do not have the time or the energy to associate with people like this.
I want to thank all of you for your honest input and opinions regarding this matter and I hope this is behind me and everyone on this board.

Here is the email this member sent to me after 3+ weeks of ignoring me. I hope he in fact did the right thing and the final phase of this horror story is in the books.

My Name,
The cashier's check # XX 45XXXXXX,in the amount of $3,700.00,should arrive saturday.You will need to sign for it.The tracking number for the letter is XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX.
Old September 29th, 2011, 12:02 PM

I hope so too! Glad this was resolved but kinda wish I knew who it was so I know who not to buy parts from!!
Old September 29th, 2011, 04:05 PM
72 Olds CS

I can guess what a restamp is but how does one spot a restamp ??
Old September 29th, 2011, 04:18 PM

Originally Posted by RetroRanger
I can guess what a restamp is but how does one spot a restamp ??
The top surface where the number is has been milled.

Here's a pic from ROP of a decent forgery. Sometimes they don't even sand out the milling marks:

Thanks Baddd Andy

Last edited by allyolds68; September 29th, 2011 at 04:28 PM.
Old September 29th, 2011, 04:54 PM

This is a restamp....
In fact, I was sent a few of these...
I was suppose to get a LEGIT OEM 7040255 and a 7040258 for my 70's... (see attachment)
Believe me a have a ton of pics of all of this stuff...
The transmissions were even worse....
Everything was not what it was said to be...
Nothing matched up...

I hope my $$$ is here on Saturday and this BS is over...

Once again I am sorry for bringing a black cloud into this forum guys...

I will let you know if the refund is legit!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG-20110722-00063 (12).jpg (600.3 KB, 88 views)
Old September 29th, 2011, 05:57 PM
Cruizin

hey guys, I'm new here, but it seems that this is not even the right place for a thread like this... shouldn't this be posted in the parts section? Or maybe there should be a good/bad/ugly section for rating your experiences with other members. That way one negative review amongst several positive reviews wouldn't be as devastating as dragging all this dirty laundry out.

just an idea.
Old September 29th, 2011, 06:00 PM

Originally Posted by RenderPit
hey guys, I'm new here, but it seems that this is not even the right place for a thread like this... shouldn't this be posted in the parts section? Or maybe there should be a good/bad/ugly section for rating your experiences with other members. That way one negative review amongst several positive reviews wouldn't be as devastating as dragging all this dirty laundry out.

just an idea.

I agree i think a feedback section would be good. Plus if this guy is selling bogus stuff i think people should know!
Old September 29th, 2011, 10:13 PM

Well I hope you get your money!!!!