The Newbie Forum The place where you should introduce yourself. Do not ask technical questions here, use the site forum sections.

restoration order

Search this Thread

Old September 21st, 2010, 07:46 PM

restoration order

I got a 69 cutlass s ragtop as a trade. Restoration was in progress, but interrupted by divorce. Prior owner's loss is my gain. However, leaves me without any information about the history of the car or the restoration. I have lots of parts in bags and some new stuff from Year One.

I have no idea how many miles since I have several speedometers in the parts collection. I have stripped the paint and put on primer. I have removed the engine and completely disassembled. Found seeds in two of the cylinders. Going to have the engine dipped and magnafluxed, and bored over if needed.

I am a decent wrench turner, but not an experienced mechanic. I can follow directions, but need information.

Does anyone know of a good restoration manual, that gives you step by step instructions, or at least general categories of tasks and the order to do them in? I don't want to get into this and find out I should have done one major project before another.

I have read many posts before putting this one up. I think I've found a great forum to ask stupid questions.

Thanks

P.S. Before you all ask, I will post pictures as soon as I can transfer them from my camera phone.
Old September 21st, 2010, 07:51 PM

Welcome to the site! So... I won't bother asking for photos

Since you've probably read through several of the major build thread you can see how some have done their cars. It seems to me that the body would have been the biggest unknown, how bad of shape, how much to fix. I would do the paint before doing interior work. After that it's up to you, move to the drivetrain, suspension or brake system next. Whichever you have the time and money for do next. My 2 cents worth! John
Old September 21st, 2010, 08:34 PM

Welcome to the site. The service manual and fisher body manual are a must when restoring a car, you can find them on ebay most of the time pretty cheap.
Old September 21st, 2010, 09:33 PM
Grown Azz Kid

I would do the paint last as you do not want to scratch it when dropping in a motor or doing seats but I am no expert. When you paint the car do the convertible top assembly. The PO of my car did not before putting on the new top so I have to find a way to clean it and maybe paint some of it.

good luck and someone will have more info I am sure
Old September 22nd, 2010, 03:33 AM
Registered

It all depend on what level restoration you're going for.
I like to have as much done as possible before paint but there are all sorts of different techniques. Best to fit everything you can even if you have to remove it for paint later, the less working around new paint the better.
A real good book on restoration is "How to Restore your Musclecar" by Greg Donahue and Paul Zazarine.

http://www.motorbooks.com/Store/Prod...ails_18857.ncm

The factory assembly manual is good to have along with the others too.

Welcome BTW.

Last edited by Bluevista; September 22nd, 2010 at 03:37 AM.
Old September 22nd, 2010, 04:53 AM
Past Administrator

Welcome to CO.
Old September 22nd, 2010, 08:29 AM

Originally Posted by Bluevista
It all depend on what level restoration you're going for.
I like to have as much done as possible before paint but there are all sorts of different techniques. Best to fit everything you can even if you have to remove it for paint later, the less working around new paint the better.
A real good book on restoration is "How to Restore your Musclecar" by Greg Donahue and Paul Zazarine.

http://www.motorbooks.com/Store/Prod...ails_18857.ncm

The factory assembly manual is good to have along with the others too.

Welcome BTW.
Great resource. I will be using this for my cutlass
Old September 22nd, 2010, 10:44 AM

Welcome, Ask lots of questions. No questions are stupid, as they can help all of us. Just remember to bring your sence of humor!! Any pictures yet? Dan
Old September 22nd, 2010, 11:26 AM

Welcome to CO

X2 on all of the above plus ask lots of questions. Somebody has already been there so you might as well take advantage of experience
Old September 22nd, 2010, 12:24 PM
Land Yacht Captain

Welcome but I am STILL gonna ask for pictures!!!

Old September 22nd, 2010, 06:18 PM

Thanks, guys. I will have to ask my techno qualified children how to upload my camera phone pictures to get them on here. But I won't forget.

I am in the process of cataloging all the parts I have. There are many bags- some even labeled, and many loose parts. I also have a 68 cutlass coupe for extra parts and a go-by. That was just thrown in with the deal.

I have the Assembly manual and the Fisher Body service manual. I also have found the specialty catalogs such as Yr1 help in identifying parts that I need.

Right now I am trying to decide on pre-paint prep and how much to get into--media blast
vs sandpaper and elbow grease. I am going for daily driver fun car, not a show car.

First decision is on engine rebuild. Tore down as plain old stock motor, nothing fancy. Since it is tore down and I have to order rebuild kit, is it worth it in the long run to upgrade to performance parts such as cams lifters, intakes etc. Going to spend the $ anyway, just need to know if the upgrade will be obvious to anyone but the gearheads.
Any one with a thought?

And thanks for the encouragement.

Clark