The Newbie Forum The place where you should introduce yourself. Do not ask technical questions here, use the site forum sections.

Replacement Key??????????

Search this Thread

Old July 15th, 2014, 01:23 PM

Replacement Key??????????

Is there any way to get replacement ignition key.
Data Tag Decoder Results Year 1972 Make Oldsmobile Model Cutlass Supreme Hardtop Coupe V-8 Engine (J57) Assembly DateFirst week of OctoberAssembly PlantFisher Body Sequence 01551Lower Color Nordic Blue Upper Color/Conv TopWhite Vinyl Convertible TopInterior OptionBlue Vinyl Bucket Accessory Codes
Old July 15th, 2014, 02:25 PM

Not from the body cowl tag. Heck, if that were the case, anyone who could lift the hood, and hoods did not have inside latch releases until the late '60s or early '70s, could simply lift the hood, copy down the info on the tag, go have a key made, and steal the car.

If you don't have an ignition key, you'll have to call a locksmith and ask how to get a replacement. I'm assuming that, without an ignition key, the car can't be started, let alone driven. Perhaps a locksmith will have to come to wherever the car is to make the key.

Another possibility is to have a car dealer's repair shop put in a new ignition switch or lock cylinder. I had a similar problem with a much newer vehicle, an '02 Dodge Dakota, a few years ago. One day the ignition switch would not turn at all with the key inserted. It was like I had the wrong key. The AAA guy couldn't get it to turn, either, so he towed it to a Dodge dealer where they disassembled the ignition switch and put in new lock pins. It cost me $102, $2 for the lock pins and $100 for the labor.

In short, I'm sure there's a way to get a new ignition key, but it's likely to involve either getting a locksmith to the car or having the car towed to a locksmith or dealer.
Old July 15th, 2014, 02:53 PM

I assume this is for the 72 Cutlass below. If so, the dealer does not have the codes. You will have to pull the switch take it to a lock smith to get a key made. I have never done it. I do know you have to pull the steering wheel, the turn signal switch and a locking plate. Maybe someone else can give you the exact procedure.

QUOTE=nolabigdawg;722189]Is there any way to get replacement ignition key.
Data Tag Decoder Results Year 1972 Make Oldsmobile Model Cutlass Supreme Hardtop Coupe V-8 Engine (J57) Assembly DateFirst week of OctoberAssembly PlantFisher Body Sequence 01551Lower Color Nordic Blue Upper Color/Conv TopWhite Vinyl Convertible TopInterior OptionBlue Vinyl Bucket Accessory Codes[/QUOTE]
Old July 15th, 2014, 02:55 PM

key

I thought the ignition key and door lock key were the same in the early 70s maybe you could take the door lock out and have a key made
Old July 15th, 2014, 03:03 PM

Originally Posted by jaunty75
Not from the body cowl tag. Heck, if that were the case, anyone who could lift the hood, and hoods did not have inside latch releases until the late '60s or early '70s, could simply lift the hood, copy down the info on the tag, go have a key made, and steal the car.

If you don't have an ignition key, you'll have to call a locksmith and ask how to get a replacement. I'm assuming that, without an ignition key, the car can't be started, let alone driven. Perhaps a locksmith will have to come to wherever the car is to make the key.

Another possibility is to have a car dealer's repair shop put in a new ignition switch or lock cylinder. I had a similar problem with a much newer vehicle, an '02 Dodge Dakota, a few years ago. One day the ignition switch would not turn at all with the key inserted. It was like I had the wrong key. The AAA guy couldn't get it to turn, either, so he towed it to a Dodge dealer where they disassembled the ignition switch and put in new lock pins. It cost me $102, $2 for the lock pins and $100 for the labor.

In short, I'm sure there's a way to get a new ignition key, but it's likely to involve either getting a locksmith to the car or having the car towed to a locksmith or dealer.
I agree that cars of the '60s did not have inside hood releases, my '68 Cutlass does not have an inside hood release (even my '78 Starfire does not have an inside hood release so it may have begun again even after that) but my dad's '49 98 Deluxe has an inside hood latch. I'm not sure when they started with the outside only hood releases. Maybe it was a year to year and model to model thing.
Old July 15th, 2014, 03:12 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

I had a similar problem with a much newer vehicle, an '02 Dodge Dakota, a few years ago. One day the ignition switch would not turn at all with the key inserted. It was like I had the wrong key. The AAA guy couldn't get it to turn, either, so he towed it to a Dodge dealer where they disassembled the ignition switch and put in new lock pins. It cost me $102, $2 for the lock pins and $100 for the labor.
I had the same thing happen to a '00 Jeep GC.
Read up in the Service Manual, spent $22 (including shipping) for a full set of pins and a new cylinder on eBay, spent half an hour pulling the cylinder (surprisingly easy), and was done.

As for the OP's problem: Pull a door cylinder and read the code off of it.
Joe P. can punch you a key from your code, as can most genuine locksmiths.

- Eric
Old July 15th, 2014, 05:49 PM

You are correct, I had a case of brain fade. Pulling a door lock is much easier.

Originally Posted by jcdynamic88
I thought the ignition key and door lock key were the same in the early 70s maybe you could take the door lock out and have a key made
Old July 15th, 2014, 07:37 PM

Originally Posted by Boiler_81
If so, the dealer does not have the codes.
My point in suggesting taking the car to a dealer was not to imply that the dealer would have the key codes. There are no more Oldsmobile dealers, we certainly don't know which dealer sold this car, and even there were still Oldsmobile dealers, it would be unlikely that any of them would have key codes for cars sold 40+ years ago.

My point was that car dealers should be able to address any problem a car might have. If an ignition key is lost and they don't have a way to make a new one, they can disassemble the steering column and put in a new lock cylinder or whatever is needed. Certainly, in the history of automobiles, people have lost car keys, so dealers should know how to handle this. One possibility for the OP is to call a nearby GM dealer's service department and ask.

Taking the door lock cylinder off to have a key made from it is a good idea, too, but that's a bit of a bother. If you're going to go through that much trouble, why not just have the locksmith out to your house or wherever the car is and have him make a key on site using either the door lock or the ignition key slot. Certainly locksmiths make house calls as I've seen my share of locksmith company vans around town over the years. They have to be mobile if they're going to service locks on building doors and so forth.
Old July 15th, 2014, 07:46 PM

Originally Posted by starfire
I agree that cars of the '60s did not have inside hood releases
My '67 Delta 88 does not have an inside hood release. Anyone can pull the lever under the front center of the bumper and open the hood.

My '73 Custom Cruiser does have an inside release.
Old July 15th, 2014, 07:51 PM

I pulled a door lock out of one of my 67's, got the number code and gave it to Joe Padavano. in about a week i had a key that worked perfect!!! He has some kind of old key machine that makes the key when you punch in the code. PM him maybe he can help you.
Steve
Old July 15th, 2014, 09:15 PM
Randy C.

The key code is on the lock cylinder. On a '72, the ignition key and the door lock key should be the same-the square one with a "C" on it. The trunk/glove box/console door key is the round one that should have a "D" on it. If you pull a door lock and take it to a locksmith, they should be able to read the code on the cylinder and cut you a new key to that code. Just hope that no one has changed out the door lock or ignition cylinders during the life of the car!

Randy C.
Old July 16th, 2014, 06:34 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by steverw
I pulled a door lock out of one of my 67's, got the number code and gave it to Joe Padavano. in about a week i had a key that worked perfect!!! He has some kind of old key machine that makes the key when you punch in the code. PM him maybe he can help you.
Steve
What he said. Email me directly at joe_padavano@rocketmail.com

On a 72 the ignition key should be the same as the door key, but it is not difficult to pull the ignition lock to read the code. You need to remove the steering wheel, lock plate, and turn signal switch first. This website has detailed photos. Note that that website talks about repairing the common loose tilt column, but the process to get the key out is the same. Just stop at that point and don't disassemble any further.
Old July 16th, 2014, 06:50 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

... car dealers should be able to address any problem a car might have. If an ignition key is lost and they don't have a way to make a new one, they can disassemble the steering column and put in a new lock cylinder or whatever is needed.
Good luck with that.

The tech industry has finally come up with a term for the answer you'll get: "No longer supported."

- Eric
Old July 17th, 2014, 09:24 AM

Keys

If your car was built or sold in Canada GM of Canada should have the key codes.
Old July 17th, 2014, 10:10 AM

Stuck right now

I've taken off the lock plate but I still can remove the cylinder can anyone help me from this point
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
tn2.jpg (29.8 KB, 20 views)
tn.jpg (31.3 KB, 23 views)
Old July 17th, 2014, 11:09 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Search is your friend:

https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...l-problem.html

- Eric
Old July 17th, 2014, 04:53 PM

Thank you guys a lot

The thread the above helped out a lot, I finally got you the cylinder follow the directions in the thread and it wiggled out
Attached Images
tn3.jpg (76.3 KB, 20 views)