The Newbie Forum The place where you should introduce yourself. Do not ask technical questions here, use the site forum sections.

Rear axle

Search this Thread

Old August 14th, 2009, 11:43 AM

Rear axle

Hey there guys how you all doing. I have a question to ask all of you. I have a '64 Olds Jetstar 88 and something went out in my rear axle i do believe. The driveline still spins but it won't go into any of the gears. so its always in neutral basically. So if it is my rear axle what Cars could i use to swap it out or what would you recomend doing in this situation?
Old August 14th, 2009, 05:11 PM

Could be a couple of things.

1. You broke an axle
2. You broke the spider gears

You need to remove the axles and check them out if the axles are not broken the you need to remove the differential housing (leave the axles out to do this. it contains the carrier, spider gears & ring and pinion. You have to disconnect the driveline to do this as this unit comes out from the front of the housing. Once you do this take a picture of what you see. These can be replaced as a unit for a wrecking yard and can be found with a some searching. Maybe someone who reads this thread has one available. You need a manual to repair if you have to take it apart.
Old August 14th, 2009, 07:08 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by n8ivbeast
Hey there guys how you all doing. I have a question to ask all of you. I have a '64 Olds Jetstar 88 and something went out in my rear axle i do believe. The driveline still spins but it won't go into any of the gears. so its always in neutral basically. So if it is my rear axle what Cars could i use to swap it out or what would you recomend doing in this situation?
Unfortunately, the 1964 J88 rear axle is unique to the 1964 J88. The good news is that the internal parts are common to the A-body, so if it is a spider gear or something internal you should be able to get those. The axle shafts are unique, but if you do need an axle, Moser and others will custom make shafts for a reasonable price.