The Newbie Forum The place where you should introduce yourself. Do not ask technical questions here, use the site forum sections.

Rallye 350 paint code display

Search this Thread

Old August 22nd, 2012, 09:50 PM

Rallye 350 paint code display

Hello there. I just purchased a nicely-preserved Rallye 350 (84k car). The general condition of the car suggests it is the real-deal (pics attached). However, the paint code displayed on the body trim tag is "51", not the special-order dash marks. I realize the special-order Sebring Yellow paint is referred to as code 51, but will actual Rallye 350s have the "51" designation on the trim plate? The production number is 239,458, and the build date is 01A, so it appears to be an early-production unit. Did the early units carry the "51" trim plate denotation, whilst the later-production merely had the dash marks?

Thank you in advance,

-Christian
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
005.JPG (61.8 KB, 75 views)
001.JPG (64.4 KB, 73 views)
016.JPG (61.7 KB, 68 views)
008.JPG (58.7 KB, 74 views)
Old August 22nd, 2012, 09:56 PM

Welcome to the site! Nice looking car! Sorry I can't answer your question, but there's several Rallye 350 owners here and I'm sure someone can help you. John
Old August 22nd, 2012, 10:23 PM
"Car"mudgeon

Welcome aboard Some W-45 (Rallye 350) cars came with - - and some have 51 as the PNT code on the cowl tag. However all were assembled in Lansing, Michigan and all have #6 heads. Being it is a low mileage car, maybe just maybe there is a broadcast card somewhere in there and it may have the W45 code on it. Hopefully you gained some sort of documentation with the purchase?

As far as the build date of the 1st week of January 1970 I believe that this is a fairly early build date due to the fact that the bulletin from Oldsmobile in reference to the Chicago Auto Show and the description of the Rallye 350 was released Feb. 18, 1970. However the Rallye 350 order form was printed Nov of '69 so either way yours may very well be one of the earlier ones built.
Old August 23rd, 2012, 04:49 AM

Welcome to the forum , nice find.
Old August 23rd, 2012, 11:32 AM
Old(s) Fart

51 IS the paint code for Sebring Yellow. Some cars got the dashes, some got the 51.
Old August 23rd, 2012, 11:40 AM

Welocme aboard
Old August 23rd, 2012, 08:35 PM

Thank you GAOlds and Joe for the expert insight. Also, thanks for the welcoming compliments from everyone else. I'm still searching for the build or broadcast sheet, but given the condition of the car, I'm confident it's in there somewhere (door panel, underneath seat, or above gas tank). Here are a few pics of the other Oldsmobiles I'm working on; I'll probably check with all you gurus regarding those soon enough though...

Green 442: #s match, green int. (pwr bench seat/column shift).
Silver 442: #s match, black int. (bucket, auto).
Attached Images
DSCN0491.JPG (78.7 KB, 49 views)
DSCN0492.JPG (79.4 KB, 49 views)
DSCN0499.JPG (89.2 KB, 46 views)
07-22-12 007.JPG (65.3 KB, 43 views)
8-6-12 001.JPG (60.1 KB, 45 views)
Old August 23rd, 2012, 08:41 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by jonesolds442
I'm still searching for the build or broadcast sheet, but given the condition of the car, I'm confident it's in there somewhere (door panel, underneath seat, or above gas tank). Here are a few pics of the other Oldsmobiles I'm working on; I'll probably check with all you gurus regarding those soon enough though...
Nice work on the silver 442! I'm very partial to silver/black 442's. Especially that silver. I chose a 78 corvette silver when I painted mine. What paint code is that one?

FWIW - you will likely find a broadcast card for your Rallye 350. Most of the time they are found under a seat spring, under a carpet, under the package tray...BUT you will NOT likely find a build sheet. Lansing was very strict about taking the build sheets and putting them in file 13 at the end of the assembly line.

I've only seen 2 build sheets that were from earlier year production H.O.s. Scot knows which car I'm talking about. ref:special order cars
Old August 23rd, 2012, 08:52 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Hmmm, something I just noticed on your car. The deck script should not say Oldsmobile. It should say Cutlass. Any evidence this car may have been in a rear end collision and had parts replaced? Check that rear bumper to see if that's just paint. A real Rallye 350 bumper has 3 stage coatings. Primer covered by urethane covered by color. That bumper looks like it may be just paint over steel.
Old August 23rd, 2012, 09:17 PM

Allan R-

Thanks. I don't remember the paint code for the Peruvian Silver off hand though, but I can check; my buddy is doing all the body and paint work.

Are you sure about the Rallye decklid script? In looking at other Rallyes, I noticed that the Cutlass S bodies had "Cutlass" on the decklid, whilst the Cutlass F85s had "Oldsmobile".

Just scraped the bumper...yup, it's three-stage paint.
Old August 23rd, 2012, 10:29 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Peruvian Silver? 1968 color code Z - it was an exclusive Toronado color that year.

Boy is it ever hard to find a picture of an f85 Rallye. But I did find several and you are right. They have Oldsmobile script. I did look at the 70 Assembly manual and there is a section for the Rallye 350 that describes all the add ons. According to it the only thing I can find is that the 3277 (f85) should have Cutlass emblems on the front fender. But that's all I can find. Seems kind of different that the Cutlass S hardtop would have Cutlass script on the deck, and f85 wouldn't. There were some Cutlass S post Rallye 350's made and they also have the Cutlass script on the deck.

I have seen pics of the Rallye 350 with and without trim rings on the wheel. According to the 442 and W-Machine resto guide they did not come with trim rings...

Old August 23rd, 2012, 10:48 PM

I may've been mistaken; perhaps they called it "Platinum" Silver instead. I honestly don't remember at the moment. But my paint guy deciphered the trim code and that's the correct color. I'm sure I've mixed/butchered the official color name though.

Okay. I also checked a few F85 Cutlass pics just to be sure. You are correct that the "Cutlass" script should appear on the fenders. The only difference is that only the "Cutlass" script appears on F85 cars. The "Cutlass S" appears on the Cutlass cars. Mine has the correct "Cutlass" only script on the fenders. The only thing I can surmise is that the base F85 only received the fender "Cutlass" and decklid "Oldsmobile" scripts, while the Cutlass S (holiday & post coupes) received the fender "Cutlass S" and decklid "Cutlass" scripts. As for the reason, aside form a model distinction, I don't know.

I'm going to keep the trim rings off. The previous owner had installed them, then later removed them. I'm going to stay true to original, or as close as I can, as with the others. Personally, I like the trim-less look on the Rallye anyway.

Thanks for the advice on the broadcast card-I will start looking for it as soon as I can.
Old August 24th, 2012, 04:48 AM
72 Olds CS

I was going to say boy that silver one looks nice, but then I saw the green and boy that one looks nice ... nice cars
Old August 24th, 2012, 09:02 AM

Thank you RetroRanger.
Old August 24th, 2012, 03:09 PM

The trim rings were a dealer installed option. The one I own has them, and were put on the day it was bought. I know this because my uncle bought the car new, and my dad was there as a witness. He thought the all yellow wheels looked too "yellow". He said the salesman took them off of another Cutlass in the showroom and put them directly onto the Rallye.
Old August 24th, 2012, 03:34 PM

Thank you for the clarification Mr65Cutlass.
Old August 24th, 2012, 03:36 PM
Just an Olds Guy

I guess it all comes down to preference. IMO the Rallye looks sportier and more aggressive without the trim rings. Funny how those trim rings changes the appearance a fair bit.
Old August 24th, 2012, 03:41 PM

I myself like them better off. Makes the wheel look larger. But, I don't dare take them off knowing the backstory, and the fact that the paint is a little scratched from them being taken off and on.
Old August 24th, 2012, 03:44 PM

Yes, Allan, you are correct. I personally concur with your opinion that the trim-less look is more aggressive.
Old August 24th, 2012, 03:49 PM

Mr65Cutlass,

Yes, the neato backstory is definitely a justification behind keeping those rings on. I encountered the same issue with the Rallye. Someone obviously had rings on her before, and now, I'm left with the scars. I'm williing to leave it alone until I can repaint the wheels, but my father suggested putting rings on it in the interim. Personally, I'm going to let it ride. I have bigger issues to address than trim-less Rallye wheels with scratches.
Old August 24th, 2012, 03:51 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by Mr65Cutlass
I myself like them better off. Makes the wheel look larger. But, I don't dare take them off knowing the backstory, and the fact that the paint is a little scratched from them being taken off and on.
Umm, wheels can be media blasted and redone any time you want. The scratches from the trim rings can be sanded down and fixed. Back story? Not enough of an issue to worry about. If that was my car I would have those wheels powder coated in the yellow color - way more durable and they would never see another trim ring.

Originally Posted by jonesolds442
I personally concur with your opinion that the trim-less look is more aggressive.
Well that actually makes at least 3 of us!!
Old June 18th, 2013, 06:59 PM

http://wildaboutcarsonline.com/membe...andout_1-6.pdf

I was on wildaboutcars and I seen this in the Rallye sales lit there is a shot of a rally with trim rings on . it s on what looks like page 4 .