The Newbie Forum The place where you should introduce yourself. Do not ask technical questions here, use the site forum sections.

Quick intro....

Search this Thread

Old February 12th, 2010, 01:43 AM
t42

Quick intro....

Hello everyone.....Im Dan from Tennessee....well Im not from Tennessee, I just live here now. Im about 50 miles east of Mempit. Ive been building hot rods for many years as a hobby. This is my first venture into the Oldsmobile area. Usually I put a small block chevy in ALL my rods but I want to stay Olds on this one. I just got (about a month ago) a 1960 Olds 88 2dr hardtop. Its in pretty good condition. I had to pick it up in Mich. but it was originally a California car so there is very little rust. Its got a 394 out of a 62 olds but has the original 371 heads and intake so the exhaust could be routed. Havent been able to get the engine running yet (to damn cold to work on it outside) but I am thinking about replacing it with a 455 anyway. Dont have any idea how difficult this swap will be...still doing my research. But I have found at least 2 complete engine and transmissions for a very cheap price. Here's a couple pics of my project....

Unloading her...

59 Caddy tail lights frenched in...
60olds007-1.jpg

60olds014.jpg
Old February 12th, 2010, 02:38 AM
Registered

Welcome

Hey t42, Cool car!

The person taking the pic didn't want want to help push?

The car looks like an AMT 3 in 1 plastic model custom option.

You are going to keep the those ultra-cool wheels, wide whitewall tires and tail lights I hope?
Was that was done in the early to mid 60's originally or is it a modern deal?
I know the roof isn't chopped but it sure looks like it the way it's designed and how the car is sitting low with no side trim.
Old February 12th, 2010, 04:28 AM

Hi welcome to the site.
Old February 12th, 2010, 04:31 AM
GM Enthusiast

Welcome and very nice ride. I'm sure someone here will chime in about replacing your motor with a 455.
Old February 12th, 2010, 04:55 AM

Welcome

Welcome aboard

Please say hello to the ducks at the Peabody and send me some BBQ from Interstate
Old February 12th, 2010, 05:01 AM
Past Administrator

Welcome to CO. Nice looking custom.
Old February 12th, 2010, 07:37 AM
Cutlass Lover

Welcome to our site!! What a cool yacht ya got there!!
Old February 12th, 2010, 07:44 AM

Talking Welcome to CO

Nice looking Olds, looks low and mean. A 455 swap should not be to difficult. I put a 455 in my 57, tight fit, but worked out well. Not sure of the engine bay of your car. is the steering box towards the front of the engine bay or towards the rear. On the 57 it is in the way of the side engine mounts. On mine I fabricated mounts off the front cross member to bolt up to the foward side mounts of the 455. Keep us advised of your build, we will help any way we can
Old February 12th, 2010, 07:49 AM

Welcome! The car looks in pretty good shape. What is the interior condition?

Contrary to what someone else said, those Caddy tail lights have to go!
Old February 12th, 2010, 11:11 AM

Cool car, I always liked those
Old February 12th, 2010, 11:54 AM
t42

Originally Posted by Bluevista
Hey t42, Cool car!

The person taking the pic didn't want want to help push?

The car looks like an AMT 3 in 1 plastic model custom option.

You are going to keep the those ultra-cool wheels, wide whitewall tires and tail lights I hope?
Was that was done in the early to mid 60's originally or is it a modern deal?
I know the roof isn't chopped but it sure looks like it the way it's designed and how the car is sitting low with no side trim.
My G/F and I had just got home from the 20+ hour trip in the snow and rain to get this land yacht. She wanted to get to sleep, but I just had to get it unloaded! The muffler clamp got stuck on the trailer due to being so low, and I had to give it a boost. Otherwise it almost unloaded itself!

I remember building those AMT models and youre right! The tail lights were done within the last decade and I most certainly plan on keeping them! I never liked that style wheel or the wide whites, but I plan on going with chrome reversed with baby moons and the thin white wall. I remember my 60 Pontiac convert that I had in the late 60's and that's what I ran on it. I also plan on putting the side chrome trim back on, but only the long side piece nothing else.
Old February 12th, 2010, 11:58 AM
t42

Originally Posted by Jamesbo
Welcome aboard

Please say hello to the ducks at the Peabody and send me some BBQ from Interstate
Thanks! While I work in Memphrica, I NEVER go there for my entertainment. Just too dangerous and messed up. I know about the ducks, but never heard of Interstate....The most famous BBQ place that I know of (of which there are many!!) is Bozo's. Ive only been living here for about 10 years and I bought a nice little farm 50 miles east of Mempit. Well worth the commute!
Old February 12th, 2010, 12:03 PM
t42

Originally Posted by D. Yaros
Welcome! The car looks in pretty good shape. What is the interior condition?

Contrary to what someone else said, those Caddy tail lights have to go!
Thanks! The interior is in very good condition. Everything is there and the seats only need a good cleaning to be used. When I pulled the rotted carpet out, the only bad spot on the floor was some minor rust holes in the drivers area. I will be doing the interior over at any rate, just to freshen her up!

The Caddy tail lights are the coolest thing about this car and the main reason I purchased it....soooo....they will be staying..
Old February 12th, 2010, 12:06 PM
t42

Originally Posted by citcapp
Nice looking Olds, looks low and mean. A 455 swap should not be to difficult. I put a 455 in my 57, tight fit, but worked out well. Not sure of the engine bay of your car. is the steering box towards the front of the engine bay or towards the rear. On the 57 it is in the way of the side engine mounts. On mine I fabricated mounts off the front cross member to bolt up to the foward side mounts of the 455. Keep us advised of your build, we will help any way we can
The steering box is towards the rear......Thanks for the info and you have a PM.....
Old February 12th, 2010, 12:12 PM
t42

Thanks to all for the warm welcome and kind words! I will keep you posted of my progress! Dan