The Newbie Forum The place where you should introduce yourself. Do not ask technical questions here, use the site forum sections.

Posted first picture - 68 Cutlass Supreme

Search this Thread

Old May 30th, 2010, 05:51 AM

Posted first picture - 68 Cutlass Supreme

Well I finally was able to post my first picture on the site. It's my profile photo, not sure how to add it anywhere else yet.
Had it for a month now, still getting parts and cleaning, cleaning, and more cleaning.
Old May 30th, 2010, 06:21 AM
Past Administrator

That's the way it goes with a new acquisition. Nice work and good looking car.
Old May 30th, 2010, 06:28 AM

Welcome, and great picture of your '68. Have an affinity for them!!!!
Old June 6th, 2010, 03:18 PM

Cutlass Don, looks like a nice car. When I was 17, a new 68 Cutlass Supreme was my first car/new car. Got it in September when the 69's came out. Plain Nocturne Blue/black bench, no a/c, no P/B. Paid $2,840 out the door.

Please let us know what options, story, etc. on your car.

Bob D'
Old June 6th, 2010, 04:02 PM

Nice car. Now post a bunch of pics on here, and welcome.
Old June 6th, 2010, 04:45 PM

Bob D,
Thanks! I sure remember the days when you could afford a new car without a 5 or 6 year loan. My first car was a '56 Chev that I drove when I was in the Air Force. I got out in '68, I had a few new cars but didn't buy a Cutlass until the late 70's. I bought a used 72 Cutlass Supreme convertible, with the sport interior. Wish I still had it.
But back to the present; I bought my '68 from the original owner of 42 years. It was a real find and only 25 minutes from my home. It wasn't advertised and the family and friends didn't want it. Not sure why, but I'm really glad they didn't. I heard about it from a friend of a friend. It didn't start and had other issues, but the price was fair and took my chances. A new ignition switch, lock and bezel solved the starting problem, and I've been working on the other issues ever since. But it's a great project car for me.
You asked about options; it is the holiday coupe (87) model and has factory air conditioning (doesn't work, but I will get this fixed - some day), it's the standard 350 w/2 br, 2 speed automatic, PS & PB (4 wheel drum). It was originally Silver Green (P) with the White (S) top, I may go back to original color, not decided yet - but I'm at least a year away from painting.
This is something I've wanted to do for some time, but never had the time or could find the right car. I'm retired now so you'll find me in the garage most of the time now - at least that what my wife tells everyone.
Anyway, that's my story - what's yours? Do you have a classic Cutlass now?
Thanks again,
Don
Old June 6th, 2010, 05:18 PM

Don, I've told this story many times to many people. In 68 I grauated high school and just wanted a nice used car. Parents said, if you work all summer and save your money, you can buy a new car. If you're short $, we'll make up the difference. Well, the only car I wanted was a Corvette Bronze Z28. That was the dream. In reality most any color Z28 would have been acceptable. At the end of summer and soon to start college, I had $2,300 saved. My dad's friend advised my dad "don't let your kid get a 4 speed". Z28's only came in 4 speeds. I was so demoralized at the restriction, I just gave up and found a "nice" Cutlass Supreme. Never really liked the car that much, just a nice looking car that I kept for 6 years thru school and part-time jobs.

In 1990, got the bug for an old Camaro, but a good friend got me hooked on old Corvettes. So I ended up with a Corvette Bronze 68 Corvette, original 427/435 car that I restored. Earned Bloomington Gold, Top Flight and Triple Crown awards with the car. Too nice to drive, and the car's second owner could not live without getting it back in his garage.

Lately been thinking of "building" a Nocturne Blue 68 F85, with Red Line Wide Ovals, dog dish caps, and a 4 speed, and a hi-performance engine. Just for fun - without spending a ton of money, to take to cruise nites. Of course it would have to be 100% correct - appearance wise. Being an NCRS member, we've got to make'em just the way they came from the factory.

So, I'm looking for that 68 2 door post F85 survivor that I can use to build that next car. Thanks for listening.
Old June 6th, 2010, 06:08 PM
GM Enthusiast

Congrats on the car and welcome to the forum!
Old June 6th, 2010, 06:55 PM
Cutlass Lover

Hi! Welcome to our site!!
Old June 6th, 2010, 07:51 PM

Nothing like the friend of a friend.
Don, Thank you for your service.
Old June 7th, 2010, 06:25 PM

Bob,
Great story, and memories for life.
Congrats on the awards and I hope you find the F-85 you're looking for.
Don