The Newbie Forum The place where you should introduce yourself. Do not ask technical questions here, use the site forum sections.

From Ontario Canada, with a 1972 Vista Cruiser

Search this Thread

Old December 22nd, 2011, 03:04 PM

From Ontario Canada, with a 1972 Vista Cruiser

Hello to all on the Classic Oldsmobile site. I have had a passion for Oldsmobiles as long as I can remember. I had a '70 Vista Cruiser which succumbed to rust, and knew I'd never be happy until another one would come into my life. It did in the way of a '72 offering from California, named 'Sammy' in honor of a cherished departed pet of ours. While rust free, it needed a major restoration, since 2006 this has been an ongoing adventure. It has a 350 engine. The transmission is a 200-R4 that I put together on my own, and the final drive is a 3.73 with an Auburn limited slip. This site is a very nice one informative with genuine in depth thoughts from other members, I am glad I finally joined. With this if I can offer help from my own experiences with the 200-R4 and other things I would be honored to do so. I'm in the process of taking apart a 455 from a 1971 Oldsmobile that will eventually find its way into the Vista Cruiser, and I will be asking the forums for help on things I see in the engine, I'll post pictures if it will not be any bother to the website of this and other subjects relating to the Oldsmobile theme. Thanks in advance, Howie
Old December 22nd, 2011, 03:41 PM

Welcome to CO

Glad to have you aboard Howie,

Great site for getting help, there are a number of Vista owner here. Which part of the country are you located in? Oh and yes we must see some pictures of your ride.
Old December 22nd, 2011, 03:47 PM

Welcome
Old December 22nd, 2011, 04:43 PM

Welcome aboard from a fellow Ontarion!
Old December 22nd, 2011, 05:35 PM

Thank you very much to all for the welcome, as thoughts were indeed correct, this is a genuine group with a real interest in preserving the make and helping others along the way, even welcoming them into the fold for starters. To answer the questions, I am located in the Burlington area of Southern Ontario, about 40 minutes to Toronto one way, 40 minutes to Niagara Falls the other way. There is a plethora of car shows and cruises during the old car driving season in the area, so one gets to meet all sorts of folks in the hobby. I figured out how to use the 'avatar' feature on this forum, at least one picture of the car is showing. I will build up an album to show more. For now, the car can be seen on Car Domain at

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3363986/1972-oldsmobile-vista-cruiser

The car is also featured on a You Tube page called

http://www.youtube.com/spikedpunk

The kindness shown is much appreciated. Regards to all, Howie
Old December 22nd, 2011, 05:39 PM

Originally Posted by cutlass xombie
Welcome aboard from a fellow Ontarion!
Thanks so much! I really hope to be able to make the big Stouffville next year. Nice to know there are some folks in this forum within a couple hour's drive! Howie
Old December 22nd, 2011, 09:12 PM

Welcome to the forum Howie. And it is nice to see the sticker you have on the Vista Cruiser.

Last edited by car_designer; December 22nd, 2011 at 09:48 PM.
Old December 22nd, 2011, 09:53 PM

Welcome
Old December 22nd, 2011, 11:49 PM

Welcome to the site Howie, lots of good information and people here.
Old December 23rd, 2011, 03:09 AM

Welcome Howie; If you need any miscellaneous parts for your Vista let me know...I'm in the big swamp north of T. O.
Old December 23rd, 2011, 05:48 AM

Hello Howie, I'm new to this forum also, your Vista looks great.
Old December 23rd, 2011, 12:20 PM

Originally Posted by Vistabrat72
Thanks so much! I really hope to be able to make the big Stouffville next year. Nice to know there are some folks in this forum within a couple hour's drive! Howie

It's a great show...tons of cars...my car wasn't there this year but will be next year
Old December 23rd, 2011, 02:27 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Howie! You have a great looking car. Is that code 36 - Radiant Green?

That saves you from one of the VC predators on this site (ha ha) We have a guy who is almost desperate for a 69-72 VC. Lessee now, 69-72? Thats You! Vista Cruiser? That's You!! Turnkey condition? THATS YOU!!! No rust? You are batting 1000 so far. 350 engine?? HOLY SOCKS that YOU TOO!!!!
Green Paint. THAT's YOU!!!! Oh, did I mention he doesn't want GREEN??

Personally I love the color on that car. Kinda curious though, why put in 3:73's if you're hooking up a 200R4? I would have stayed with something like 3:08's if you're looking for something to drive around with decent mileage...the 200R4 is pretty decent OD and will pull nicely off the line too.
Old December 24th, 2011, 07:45 AM

Gratitude and thanks to all

I have to say, many thanks to all the wonderful replies and welcomes to the forum. After the holidays, or if I get some time in between the activities, festivities, etc, I will begin contacting folks with the car facts, a fellow member was asking for a telephone number, this will all be gotten to. For the meantime I'd like to extend my wishes for all to have a Merry Christmas, Happy New year and a safe journey to and from wherever you may be going. Regards, Howie
Old December 24th, 2011, 07:53 AM

Welcome to the site Howie. Like the color on the Vista. Lots of help and Information here.
Old December 24th, 2011, 08:13 AM

Originally Posted by Allan R

That saves you from one of the VC predators on this site (ha ha) We have a guy who is almost desperate for a 69-72 VC. Lessee now, 69-72? Thats You! Vista Cruiser? That's You!! Turnkey condition? THATS YOU!!! No rust? You are batting 1000 so far. 350 engine?? HOLY SOCKS that YOU TOO!!!!

Personally I love the color on that car. Kinda curious though, why put in 3:73's if you're hooking up a 200R4? I would have stayed with something like 3:08's if you're looking for something to drive around with decent mileage...the 200R4 is pretty decent OD and will pull nicely off the line too.
Thanks for asking Allan. I am not sure what the code is, it is not the original color to the car, I will search for the correct code, knowing it was used on a '72 GM offering, I did see it on a Nova years ago.

I have been asked if I wanted to sell the car numerous times. If I ever were to, it would be through many strict interviews to be sure the car is going to an Oldsmobile loving family.

The 3.73's work nice with the 200-R4 which has been in the car for several years already. in O/D the final drive ratio drops down to a nice 2.53. So the car has a smart takeoff, and a calm cruise. I still have the 3.08's safely tucked away, they may go back on with the fitment of the 455 in the future, in O/D the overall is 2.09. But even with the 3.73's the engine is doing a lazy 2100 or so RPM close to 70MPH. So it will be seen....Merry Christmas.
Old December 24th, 2011, 08:58 AM

Welcome aboard Vistabrat72, I love your Vista. I live in Toronto, but my cars reside at my cottage in Fort Erie. Hope to see your car at some local Burlington/Hamilton shows.
Old December 24th, 2011, 09:37 AM

Pictures did not post! I am still learning the ins and outs of the forum pages.

Last edited by Vistabrat72; December 24th, 2011 at 09:40 AM. Reason: The pictures did not post, I am still learning the forum page, and how it works!
Old December 24th, 2011, 09:42 AM

Originally Posted by bulldog
Welcome aboard Vistabrat72, I love your Vista. I live in Toronto, but my cars reside at my cottage in Fort Erie. Hope to see your car at some local Burlington/Hamilton shows.
Thank you Norton. I hope to see many of the local cars on this site at some of the events. And Fort Erie is not that long of a drive - in the summer at least!
Old December 24th, 2011, 12:00 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Thanks for asking Allan. I am not sure what the code is, it is not the original color to the car,

The 3.73's work nice with the 200-R4 which has been in the car for several years already. in O/D the final drive ratio drops down to a nice 2.53. So the car has a smart takeoff, and a calm cruise. I still have the 3.08's safely tucked away, they may go back on with the fitment of the 455 in the future, in O/D the overall is 2.09. But even with the 3.73's the engine is doing a lazy 2100 or so RPM close to 70MPH. So it will be seen....Merry Christmas.
What color code do you have on the cowl tag? - Just curious.

re: gears? If you put in a 455 and want to go with something less agressive than 3:73's I have a set of 3:42s I'm not going to use. I was torn between 3:08, 3:23 and 3:42's for my car. 3:23 and 3:08 are great for a 350/350 combo. But I was upgrading to a 455 (don't ask) and got a set of 3:42's. Unless I find another good 455 block - they aren't going to get used.

3:08's are nice ratios that offer good performance and better fuel economy. I found that with my car being vintage and not a DD, I don't worry too much about how much fuel it's using compared to newer cars. I only put on about 500 miles in the last 2 years.
Old December 26th, 2011, 09:19 AM

What color code do you have on the cowl tag? - Just curious.

re: gears? If you put in a 455 and want to go with something less agressive than 3:73's I have a set of 3:42s I'm not going to use.

3:08's are nice ratios .
Allan thanks for the offer. The offer of the 3.42's is an option, maybe a nice compromise between the 3.08 gear set I have stored away versus the 3.73's on the car. I will see how all fits together one the engine is fitted in, probably some time from now. The 3.08's would be very nice in the car too, the 455 will be able to loaf along with those. Choices, choices! Ha-ha! I'll have to squeeze around the front of the car, take of the cover, open the hood and get the paint code. I do know it was gold originally, there is a spot under a rear fender I kep but clear coated to show folks, like a fossil, what was there. I can get to that and grab a picture!
Old December 26th, 2011, 09:29 AM
Official Tire Kicker

Welcome aboard, really nice looking car!
Old December 26th, 2011, 09:49 AM

Originally Posted by Yellowstatue
Welcome Howie; If you need any miscellaneous parts for your Vista let me know...I'm in the big swamp north of T. O.
Thank you very much, I will certainly keep this in mind! Oh yes, the swamp!
Old December 26th, 2011, 10:56 PM

Welcome to the forum!!!
Old December 29th, 2011, 07:12 PM

I think I finally 'got it' on how to upload pictures onto the forum thanks to the helpful input read posted by other members. I'll try and start with these, hopefully they work! If they do, more stuff on the story of 'Sammy' will be shown in pictures. Regards, Howie
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Cruises May 28 2011 009.jpg (95.2 KB, 38 views)
Cruises May 28 2011 007.jpg (97.6 KB, 39 views)
Cruises May 28 2011 005.jpg (57.8 KB, 35 views)
Old December 29th, 2011, 07:23 PM

Nice tribute to Blair.

Very nice Vista Cruiser, and I really like the colour of it.

Last edited by car_designer; December 29th, 2011 at 07:27 PM.
Old December 29th, 2011, 07:32 PM

Originally Posted by car_designer
Nice tribute to Blair.

Very nice Vista Cruiser, and I really like the colour of it.

Thank you very much. Blair is a big part of why Sammy is in my life now. I would not have him if not for Blair. Blair's recognition and persona is very proudly placed on the car and would be no other way. The friend who printed the permanent decal (the one seen in this picture was a print on paper) made me several more, and they are tucked away. If you or anybody else would like one then by all means come forward and ask. Howie
Old December 29th, 2011, 07:32 PM

Nice looking car and sharp color combo. Videos show even more. The woodgrain looks great with this shade. "Green n brown can't bring a frown"....

Uh, oh.....
Old December 29th, 2011, 07:46 PM

Originally Posted by Lady72nRob71
Nice looking car and sharp color combo. Videos show even more. The woodgrain looks great with this shade. "Green n brown can't bring a frown"....

Uh, oh.....
Thank you Rob! The videos help to bring the '72 to life. The wood grain is semi-gloss with an actual pattern to it, and is darker then stock, working in harmony with the car. Only green and the car would have been overwhelming in my own opinion. Mother Nature had it right with the colors, mothers are always right, I should have never doubted in the first place... More movies/videos of the car will be happening as the adventures continue!
Old December 29th, 2011, 08:01 PM

Included are more pictures of 'Sammy' to help encourage others to keep up with their own Oldsmobile projects. All mechanical work save for the differential gear swap to date has been done in my single-car garage. The yuk picture of the engine compartment as the car was obtained plus dust of body work. A picture of the car just about ready for painting, taken in February of 2008, the car painted late March 2008, and march 2009 with some stuff, but still not much overall as to what is done now, to the engine so the hood could at least be opened not with shame. I will dig up pictures of the car as first seen, and I have pictures of the present engine compartment somewhere, or I can snap a few more tomorrow.
Attached Images
IMG_3152.jpg (71.1 KB, 31 views)
IMG_3699.jpg (87.3 KB, 32 views)
IMG_4101.JPG (158.9 KB, 35 views)
vista cruisr engine.jpg (79.8 KB, 35 views)
Old December 29th, 2011, 08:11 PM

So are you telling me the 'wood' is painted on and not adhesive vinyl?
Old December 29th, 2011, 08:15 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Nice looking car and sharp color combo. Videos show even more. The woodgrain looks great with this shade. "Green n brown can't bring a frown".... Uh, oh.....
I agree! Oh, are I busted??? C'mon Rob you know you could buy one this color and like it.....
Old December 29th, 2011, 08:16 PM

So are you telling me the 'wood' is painted on and not adhesive vinyl?
Oh no Rob! Perhaps I did not state it properly: The wood grain IS adhesive vinyl, and very thick at that, way more so then the original, so it was anything but easy to apply it. It had to be heated, stretched, curved over the many compound curved and pointy spots on the car. I can and will in the not too distant future take pictures of the stuff, I have quite a bit left over. The hardest spot to do on the car? Believe it or not, it was the tailgate!
Old December 29th, 2011, 08:26 PM
Just an Olds Guy

The wood grain IS adhesive vinyl, and very thick at that, way more so then the original, so it was anything but easy to apply it. It had to be heated, stretched, curved over the many compound curved and pointy spots on the car. I can and will in the not too distant future take pictures of the stuff, I have quite a bit left over. The hardest spot to do on the car? Believe it or not, it was the tailgate!
It looks great in the pics. Who did you get it from? If I buy a VC I'll probably have to redo the vinyl if there's rust or paintwork needed
Old December 29th, 2011, 08:40 PM

Nice.

Curious, what is the process/requirements to get those 'historic' plates?

I am looking at getting 1972 'YOM' plates or the 'historic' ones eventually. I could never find any mention on the MTO site about 'historic' plates though.
Old December 29th, 2011, 08:59 PM
Just an Olds Guy

oldzy - here are a few links I found in your area
http://www.yomplates.ca/
http://www.mto.gov.on.ca/english/dan...icle/yom.shtml
http://www.vintagecarconnection.com/yom_plates.htm

Here in AB, I just had to take the 72 plates to the motor vehicle registry. They stamped them legit, and double registered them to my 'antique' plate registration for a one time fee of around 45 bucks IIRC. Took all of 15 minutes.

From what I've seen on the web, Ont MOT is screwing you guys royally...in turnaround time and pricing
Old December 30th, 2011, 11:01 AM

Originally Posted by oldzy
Nice.

Curious, what is the process/requirements to get those 'historic' plates?

I am looking at getting 1972 'YOM' plates or the 'historic' ones eventually. I could never find any mention on the MTO site about 'historic' plates though.
oldzy,
I have historic plates on my Cutlass, just went to the Ministry and told them I wanted historic plates. $18. later I had them. And their $18 a year.
For YOM plates you phone the MTO. give them the plate number, and they check the number to see that its not in use on a newer plate. I believe they treat these the same as personalized plates,and charge $200 to register them to your car and then you pay the same every year that a sticker would cost.
Old December 30th, 2011, 01:20 PM

Thanks. $18/yr is not bad at all. I did find a site though that mentioned only for parades, cars shows, getting repair work done, and 'testing'. Perhaps I will fall into the 'testing' category. After all... I will likely be 'testing' quite a bit after a frame-off resto.

On the other hand, I do like the idea of a plate with '1972' at the top. I have not found a really nice pair to my liking though.
Old December 30th, 2011, 04:57 PM

Originally Posted by oldzy
Thanks. $18/yr is not bad at all. I did find a site though that mentioned only for parades, cars shows, getting repair work done, and 'testing'. Perhaps I will fall into the 'testing' category. After all... I will likely be 'testing' quite a bit after a frame-off resto.

On the other hand, I do like the idea of a plate with '1972' at the top. I have not found a really nice pair to my liking though.
Or possibly going to wash the car in preperation of a car show, all you need to know is the car show schedule for the area your going to be in.

If you decide to buy 1972 plates, make sure you run the plate number through the ministry before you buy them, to be sure the number can be registered. I bought a real nice pair for my 71 wiyhout running them through the ministry. Turns out they cant be used. Now they are only garage art.
Old December 30th, 2011, 05:03 PM

Alan, you hit it right on the head with the trannie and gears. I installed a 3.08 posi this fall and I'm in the process of getting the 200R4 done over the winter with a mild B&M shift kit. My friend Randy who is setting it says it should be a good runner with decent mileage.

Quick Reply: From Ontario Canada, with a 1972 Vista Cruiser