The Newbie Forum The place where you should introduce yourself. Do not ask technical questions here, use the site forum sections.

OLDIE NOOB Finally Gets Another Olds!

Search this Thread

Old March 6th, 2017, 10:26 PM

OLDIE NOOB Finally Gets Another Olds!

Greetings from an old-timer! I'm 74 years young and grew up near Mt. Clemens, Michigan. My first hot rod was a 51 Chev 4 door that me and my buddies put a 283, 3 speed, and 57 rear end into and raised hell in and around the north side of Detroit and Woodward. Anyway, I've always loved vintage cars ever since. Build a '57 Chev hardtop that won some awards and a 57 Chev Conv restomod that won it's class in Autorama when showed. Had to sell both to pay bills and have been laying low pretty much since.
Found this really nice cruiser in wonderful shape and wanted to join up with an Olds-Happy group that you all seem to be. I am also looking for some advice and help. I plan to keep this beauty mostly stock (hee hee )..at least for the time being. Anyone find an Assembly Manual in reprint form that is complete with no blank pages (like the reprints on eBay)? Same Q for Shop manual, Interior manual?? Would like to know how to take the dash partially apart to get at the clock and radio. Also, my Q-Jet probably needs a rebuild or replacement (98K miles). Anyone have a favorite carb that can essentially bolt up to the stock manifold and linkage? I haven't yet found a carb rebuilder in the Sacramento area that has great reviews. Anyone have good luck with a Q-Jet rebuilder in Sac to San Fran? The 8-track is a stock unit but, not unexpectedly, doesn't work. Anyone know a great 8-track rebuilder? I have 402 Chev (sorry ) big block looking for a home...Hmmm -- Engine bay is plenty big enough.... Anyone want to admit to this kind of heresy (how did it go???) Any Olds clubs in the Sacramento area? Guess I've asked enough questions. Any answers out there??
Old March 7th, 2017, 06:17 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Keppie
Found this really nice cruiser in wonderful shape and wanted to join up with an Olds-Happy group that you all seem to be. I am also looking for some advice and help. I plan to keep this beauty mostly stock (hee hee )..at least for the time being. Anyone find an Assembly Manual in reprint form that is complete with no blank pages (like the reprints on eBay)? Same Q for Shop manual, Interior manual?? Would like to know how to take the dash partially apart to get at the clock and radio. Also, my Q-Jet probably needs a rebuild or replacement (98K miles). Anyone have a favorite carb that can essentially bolt up to the stock manifold and linkage? I haven't yet found a carb rebuilder in the Sacramento area that has great reviews. Anyone have good luck with a Q-Jet rebuilder in Sac to San Fran? The 8-track is a stock unit but, not unexpectedly, doesn't work. Anyone know a great 8-track rebuilder? I have 402 Chev (sorry ) big block looking for a home...Hmmm -- Engine bay is plenty big enough.... Anyone want to admit to this kind of heresy (how did it go???) Any Olds clubs in the Sacramento area? Guess I've asked enough questions. Any answers out there??
Welcome. The 8track problem is often just a matter of replacing the drive belt. Of course, one needs to have 8track tapes that haven't been stretched and distorted.

As for the belly-button motor swap, there are some here who accept this, but most aren't thrilled. The whole point of owning a non-Chebby is that is ISN'T a Chebby. The frame is the same as a Chevelle. A 455 Olds is a better choice and bolts in with no effort.
Old March 7th, 2017, 06:38 AM

Welcome aboard. What Joe said X2. For Oldsmobile only there is the Nor Cal Oldsmobile Club out of Mantca, just down the road from you, it's part of the Oldsmobile Club Of America.Nice folks and they hold the regional Oldsmobile show each year. This is a points show and kinda a prelim for the Nationals but a very laid back affair.... Tedd
Old March 7th, 2017, 08:14 AM
Olds Fever

Welcome to the group young man... It's always good to have other young senior citizens among us... Lots of knowledge available here... As for the transplant, not my cup of tea, but your vehicle your choice... Like Joe said, an Olds 455 will fit in the engine bay nicely if it's a big block you want...
Old March 7th, 2017, 11:20 AM

Welcome, x4 on the engine. The whole purpose of owning an Olds is .... Whatever the purpose, it is not to make it into a Chevy!

I think we need to start a 3 Score & 10+ group here? I wonder how many of us there are?
Old March 9th, 2017, 12:09 AM

welcome to the site.
Old March 9th, 2017, 08:54 AM

Sorry for the delay in my response. I have been dealing with all the paperwork and notifications, etc. necessary for my step-dad who just passed away at the age of 90. I’m his and my Mom’s POA and responsible for all their health, living, and financial affairs.. They’re in FL...I’m in CA. No need for condolences, He had a great life with my Mom (who turns 98 on 3/11) who is now in memory care. They had a blast up until about 5 years ago when Mom started breaking bones falling and he was hit with Alzheimer’s. Anyway, it is what it is and we make the best of it.
Thanks to Joe, Tedd, CRUZN66, D. Yaros, and RocketRonnie for your welcome messages. Had to chuckle that everyone except Ronnie were not too enthusiastic about the Chebby BB into an Olds. Not to worry.... it was just a thought. In fact, I’m going to put an ad into Craigslist offering to trade for a 455 and see what pops up, if anything.
I’ve ordered Service and Assembly manuals. In the meantime, I was wondering what techniques (tricks of the trade) are used to change the front and rear plugs on the passenger side of the 350.... looks like one needs a quadruple jointed something or other or ???.
Also plan to switch out the distributor for a HEI... comments?? Lessons learned?
That’s it for now.. Will get back to car business after returning from FL.

Maybe we'll do a poll on who out there is at least 60 YO and getting better!
Old March 9th, 2017, 09:02 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Keppie
In the meantime, I was wondering what techniques (tricks of the trade) are used to change the front and rear plugs on the passenger side of the 350.... looks like one needs a quadruple jointed something or other or ???.
No, not really. I find it pretty easy to route my right arm under the A/C compressor from the front, which allows me to operate the ratchet on the front plug. The back plug usually requires you to put the spark plug socket on the plug first, then either fit the ratchet onto it or use a box end wrench on the hex on the end of the spark plug socket.

Also plan to switch out the distributor for a HEI... comments?? Lessons learned?
On a 350, the stock air cleaner won't clear a factory coil-in-cap HEI. You'll either need a mid-70s air cleaner with the notch for the HEI or a spacer between the air cleaner and carb. Keep in mind that HEI won't provide any performance benefit over properly maintained points - it was developed to allow GM cars to meet then-new emissions requirements to go 50,000 miles without a tuneup. I've converted most of my cars only because I'm lazy.
Old March 9th, 2017, 09:04 AM

Welcome, I will add its your car put what ever in it you want to, but I lean towards if its a cruiser and you want some fun just leave it all Oldsmobile.

instead of changing out the distributor you can just change the points using a petronix kit.

There is a carb shop down the block from me in Oak Park IL you can ship it to, they do great work A&G carburetor.
Old March 9th, 2017, 10:27 AM

Welcome!
Old March 9th, 2017, 10:41 AM

Welcome to the site. I'm sure it's a cool car.

I used a Pertronix kit on my 64 98, it's great. Plus, you'll spend less on a Pertronix conversion than you would on a new aftermarket HEI distributor. That being said, I have an HEI distributor in my 71 98 and it works great too.

As far as the engine is concerned do what you want, it's your car. There are threads on our site covering swapping a Chevy motor into a Cutlass. I'm not sue how different a 402 Chevy motor is from a SBC though.