The Newbie Forum The place where you should introduce yourself. Do not ask technical questions here, use the site forum sections.

An old newbie from Tennessee

Search this Thread

Old January 20th, 2010, 02:37 PM
Sam

An old newbie from Tennessee

I have a 50 Olds 88 fastback two door that I purchased from a folk artist in Alabama. He told me it was a 49 since it has the split windshield. If I remember correctly, my dads 50 4 door 88 had the one piece windshield. I understand the 49 88's and 76's had the split windshields and all of the 1950 98's came with one piece windshields. It's my understanding that the 1950 88's could have either windshield.The identification # on the door post begins with 50, so I am fairly certain it is a 50 model year car.
Some years ago the artist got drunk with several of his friends, while he was sleeping off the effects of the excessive alcohol, his buddies "borrowed" his Rocket for a high speed joy ride. In any case they ruined the engine, but being the thoughtful souls that they were, the car was towed back to the artists home and placed back in his car shed. He couldn't understand why his smooth running Rocket 88 wouldn't run at all. Some years later his friends owned up to what they did. The car is need of mechanical, electrical and body refurbishment. I will be seeking guidance from you all to help guide me through the task at hand.
Sam
Old January 20th, 2010, 03:30 PM
Cutlass Lover

Welcome to our site! I'm sure Citcapp will chime in eventually.... he has some old Oldsmobiles and will be able to help you out! There are some others on here too with the older cars. This is the place to be for information and guidance! My guys here are the absolute best!!!!! Do you have any pics of her you can post?

Last edited by cutlassgal; January 20th, 2010 at 03:32 PM. Reason: brain fart
Old January 20th, 2010, 04:50 PM

Talking Welcome to CO

Congrat's on your toy. we are ready willing and able to give you a hand with information and help with your restore. Post some pictures and let us take a look at you car.

Pat
Old January 21st, 2010, 05:05 AM
Past Administrator

Sam,
Welcome to CO. I am not so sure I would want "friends" like your acquantance had. At any rate your information sounds correct to me, I have some reference material at home that may "shed" some light upon the subject. If I can only remember to check.....
Old January 21st, 2010, 05:26 AM

Welcome

Welcome aboard

FYI

You just made Dan and Pat's day.

We'd love to see some pics when ya get a chance
Old January 21st, 2010, 07:34 PM
Sam

Thank you all for your kindness and willingness to provide me with some direction and information. I will post some pictures after my daughter shows me how to do it. I had a Vic 20 and later a Commodore 64, they were electronic curiosities that I never mastered. I am a latter day luddite when it comes to computers. The Olds is stored in my detached garage fender to flank with a motley collection of Triumphs, MGA's and a 64 Comet Caliente that I sold to my brother in South Carolina some months ago. I used to drive my dad's 50 Olds 88 to school, I had to stay in town to drive my sister home. she worked in the towns bra factory. I would open the hood on the Olds to display the marvelous rocket engine for all to see. It unfailingly drew a crowd, rivalled only by the weekly unloading of the Jitney Jungle truck at the supermarket. I loved driving the Olds, even though it routinely stalled due to vapor lock. When it ran, it ran very well, the only car that equalled it sometimes was an early dodge hemi red ram that another boy racer drove. I'm where I belong.

Thanks for the warm welcome, I will post some pictures when I learn how to do it.
Sam
Old January 22nd, 2010, 04:04 AM

Pics 101

When you reply make sure you are in “Advanced” If it says post a “Quick reply” hit “Advanced”

Scroll down below the box you type in and hit “ Manage Attachments” A new box will pop up.

Hit “Browse”

The hit “Upload” and wait a few secs for the pics to up load. Then close this box.
Next you can hit “Preview Post and your pictures should be there.

There is a size limit on pics