The Newbie Forum The place where you should introduce yourself. Do not ask technical questions here, use the site forum sections.

Old new guy with new-to-me old Cutlass.

Search this Thread

Old September 17th, 2023, 07:06 PM

Old new guy with new-to-me Olds Cutlass.

My Sweetie's brother passed away a year ago after a 12 year battle with prostate cancer and she inherited the Love of his Life, a 1971 4door Cutlass with 350/2bbl/TH350auto, UGLY lime green poly exterior paint and very slightly less ugly darker green interior with perfectly pristine green cloth seats that look like they were installed yesterday. It has 107,000ish original miles. He bought it in the 80s and kept every receipt and record of maintenance since then. While looking for the title in his house, we even found the original newspaper ad with a tiny black&white picture of the car and the specs, mileage, etc.
Anyway, I have procured a used Edelbrock Performer 350 for a killer deal, and being a car guy from the time I was 14, I already had a few different 4bbl carbs to try, and we just received the Classic License Plate from DMV. No more fees!
It will see a few car shows per year now and stay in the family. He was struggling with the car and almost didn't make it to the big Father's Day show last year that he had never missed. I helped him get it roadworthy (he wasn't very mechanically inclined actually, but he tried hard) and he drove it to the show. He passed away about 10 days later.
So, a bit of power boosting on the induction side, an HEI ignition upgrade, a set of SS1 wheels I also found in his garden shed, a new windshield, and since painting a car these days costs a ridiculous amount of money, I will wrap it myself in a non-green color that complements the interior. Like a copper, bronze, or gold color of some sort.
Found a photo.
Her name is Jenny.

Alan with his car, Jenny. And his family, plus me.

Last edited by 71FourDoorCutlass; September 17th, 2023 at 11:22 PM. Reason: Photo add!
Old September 17th, 2023, 09:23 PM

Sorry for your loss, welcome aboard.

Originally Posted by 71FourDoorCutlass
a 1971 4door post Cutlass with 350/2bbl/TH350auto, UGLY lime green poly exterior paint and very slightly less ugly darker green interior

It has 107,000ish original miles.
Great engine and transmission combo. And i agree, horrible color combo. My 69 was born green and green as well. Thankfully the previous owner converted her to black in and out.

we even found the original newspaper ad with a tiny black&white picture of the car and the specs, mileage, etc.
So cool, and thanks for tidbits of information like this. Made it so interesting to me. I felt a stronger than usual motivation to reply to the post.

Anyway, I have procured a used Edelbrock Performer for a killer deal, being a car guy from the time I was 14, I already have a few different 4bbl carbs to try,

So, a bit of power boosting on the induction side, an HEI ignition upgrade, a set of Rallye wheels, a new windshield if I can find one
She will like it ... 4bbl conversion, dual exhaust, and a more aggressive rear gear will get her to pop. Timing chain kit in order, and it's game on.
Old September 17th, 2023, 11:08 PM

Originally Posted by 69CSHC

She will like it ... 4bbl conversion, dual exhaust, and a more aggressive rear gear will get her to pop. Timing chain kit in order, and it's game on.
Dualled out already. He liked it rumbly.
It's just a cruiser and gears are out of my wheelhouse, pun only slightly intended,.
So does this engine have the GM nylon top gear like Chevy used? Is it really necessary to change the set at just over 100K? (He religiously changed oil at 3k or less on this car.)
I was considering advancing the cam a touch with either a gear or an offset key.
Old September 18th, 2023, 03:30 AM

Welcome!!!
Old September 18th, 2023, 07:01 AM
Old(s)GuysRule

Welcome aboard! Yes, Oldsmobile used the nylon tooth cam sprocket on their second generation (1964/65 and newer) V8s! Best bet is to replace the timing set. If you wish to change the cam timing, buy a "bushing"kit; very easy to install. Just do not drill all the way through the cam sprocket, only drill deep enough to install the bushing flush with the back side of the sprocket.
Old September 18th, 2023, 07:14 AM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

Nice car and condolences to the family. If you don't have one, go to ebay and buy yourself a factory service manual. Get an original and not one of the reprinted ones or one on a CD. Shop the prices because they will vary a lot. It will be the best money you ever spend on the car.
Old September 18th, 2023, 06:37 PM

Welcome!