The Newbie Forum The place where you should introduce yourself. Do not ask technical questions here, use the site forum sections.

Noobie -1971 Cutlass Town Sedan- Cleaning interior

Search this Thread

Old March 21st, 2013, 03:41 AM

Noobie -1971 Cutlass Town Sedan- Cleaning interior

Hello everyone,
I recently purchased my first vintage car, 1971 Cutlass Town Sedan. I can now say, "I gotta V8!" I just picked it up yesterday and it has a nice solid base 4 door body and mechanically sound for 131k miles. Runs like a beast and floats like a dream down the road. I am concerned about modern chemicals and damaging the vinyl. Back seat is almost as fresh as the day it was purchased but the whole interior needs some serious TLC.
I am wanting to clean it so any recommendations on what to use?
Mr. Clean Erasers, Armor all protectant? Also plan on using some A&H boxed fridge type to absorb some of the odor as the vehicle has been in and out of storage over the years. As well using dryers sheets placed in the cabin as well.
I used this website for references and recommendations of what to look for, the good, the bad and the ugly. I am joining the board so I can learn more about this particular vehicle. I have a 350 V8 2bbl engine but it cruises easily at 40mph with little or no effort on the gas pedal unless climbing a hill. Super smooth handling soft on cornering but man it can dance it is so sensitive.
I did notice some serious white smoke pouring out of it after running it awhile at 60 mph and turning it off, parking for 30 minutes and upon starting it got the smoke screen until I pulled out of the parking lot. Haven't noticed it since but still concerned me. Ideas on what might be the issue? No blue tinge but pure white, fairly heavy and strong smell. I checked the oil and it was low. Oil change later today.
Guys, all of you, I would like to thank you for helping me in my purchase and thank you in advance for your kindness and patience for us noobies. Me especially. I appreciate the existence of this board and would like to know more about my car and share my experiences.
I will post some pics later, I spent time buying parts and new tires for the beastie yesterday.
Old March 21st, 2013, 03:49 PM

There are lots of vinyl and uphostery cleaners that do a great job. Check the auto store. Expensive does not always mean better. Good ol' Formula 409 works wonders on dirty vinyl, but you have to remember to rinse it well or it remains sticky. Clean it up and if you want to give it that new look, use a low gloss protectant, such as Armor All. I don't know that Armor All really provides any benefits, but it will make it look nice.

White "smoke" could be an indicator of a couple things. You could be burning coolant or transmission fluid. Coolant can get into the cylinders through a leaky head gasket, cracked head, or cracked block. Let's hope that's not the case.

Transmission fluid could be sucked into the engine through a defective modulator. Find the vacuum line at the back of the carburetor that connects to the transmission modulator. Pull the line off and check if there is any red fluid present. If so, you probably have a bad modulator. They're cheap and easy to replace.

Keep tabs on it. Watch your coolant and ATF levels to make sure they don't mysteriously disappear.

Other than dumping all that on you, welcome aboard!
Old March 21st, 2013, 06:32 PM
GM Enthusiast

Welcome to CO! I like using Meguiar's Vinyl cleaner and I use 303 protectant on dashes and seats. Protects and keeps the vinyl soft and most importantly, it does not make it slimy. Sounds like a nice car, post some pics when you get a chance.