The Newbie Forum The place where you should introduce yourself. Do not ask technical questions here, use the site forum sections.

No title, no deal?

Search this Thread

Old February 5th, 2014, 06:19 PM
Self-prescribed Newbie

No title, no deal?

I'm asking a lot of questions in small batches. I hope that is okay, and I hope they are in the right forum.

I did a little bit of research on buying a vehicle with no title and it seems like a lot of leg work, but not an impossibility. Is "no title" really a "no deal"?
Old February 5th, 2014, 06:47 PM

It seems to depend on the State in which the vehicle is being sold in. For example, I bought a van out of NY last year and it did not have a title, only current proof of registration. Got it to my DMV in Delaware and they confirmed that up to a certain year, 1968 if I recall, titles were not issued. My DMV person referenced some guide book for confirmation than registered the van without a problem.

Chris
Old February 5th, 2014, 06:50 PM

If it were easy the seller would have the title... for the most part stay away unless you accept the fact that a title may not be had for the car after you buy it. Companies advertise that they can get a title for just about any car but their fees are high, 1000 dollars or more at times...
Old February 5th, 2014, 07:05 PM
Justin

I just bought a 99 Buick, no title just a bill of sake and a duplicate title form filled out and signed by the owner . I went to register and title the car and it had a lien on it from the bank the previous owner bought the car threw. I could not get a title they did give me a 30 day temp tag and the seller did do all leg work to get the documents for the lien release this could of easily went the other way
Old February 5th, 2014, 07:06 PM
Self-prescribed Newbie

This is the reason I ask.

http://www.oldsmobilecentral.com/for...tlass-Cuba.php

It seems like a good deal (emailed for more info) if everything isn't rusted out. The research I did seemed to say that getting a title is a lot of leg work, but it can be done.

*EDIT* Of course, after I post the link, it says the Craigslist ad has been deleted (which usually means sold)

Last edited by molasses4masses; February 5th, 2014 at 07:08 PM.
Old February 5th, 2014, 07:07 PM

Depends on the state, in Texas a "bonded title" can be applied for, in other states there are a lot of hoops to jump through, beware..
Old February 5th, 2014, 07:11 PM
Administrator

Even in Texas it can be an issue.
Old February 5th, 2014, 07:26 PM

If you buy a car with no title and the person that currently has their name on the title wants it back they will get it. You could even be accused of possession of stolen property. If you buy it to part it out make sure you get a police inspection of the VIN and bill of sale before you buy it. They will tell you if it was ever reported stolen. The bill of sale needs to have the persons name and contact info on it that is selling the car. A copy of their drivers license is nice also. This don't change the fact that later the titled owner could show up and still want it back and get it. If the title is in the name of the seller, it is their responsibility to apply for a lost title. Title issues suck real bad and you need to be very carefull.
Old February 5th, 2014, 08:14 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

I've bought many cars without titles over the years, and it was never a problem, because a.) I generally buy old cars, and b.) I spent most of my time in NY, where they only started issuing titles in 1972, so even if your pre-'72 car there has a title, they want nothing to do with it.
In Maine you need a title for '91 and newer.

That being said, I bought a 2000 Jeep over the summer without a title, thinking it was no problem, and it was a major PIA.

The car was on property that the seller had bought in New Hampshire (no sales tax = good), and the PO, who had left the car there, had signed the title over to him.
He gave me a very nice and proper bill of sale.
"No problem," thought I.
When I went to register it in Maine, the clerk said No Go, because his name was on the title as the buyer, and not mine. I pointed out that I had a bill of sale from him to me, and she said Tough - my name had to be on the title.
So I contacted him, and he really wasn't very nice anymore.
Though the car, and the PO, were both in New Hampshire, the seller was actually a resident of Mass, and the PO had signed the title over to him under duress (as he had physical possession of the car on the property he had bought), and insisted that he sign the title in her presence, just to make his life hard. He knew all of this, but had not told me.
So... Pay $25 to the NH DMV for a duplicate title, through the PO - Nope.
Get the seller to get a new title in NH (no tax) - Nope.
Cost of a title plus sales tax in Mass? $265.
You know that the seller was not paying for that out of his pocket - he had me over a barrel.
So, I had to send the seller $265 and the title, so he could pay the sales tax and register the car in Mass, then wait for him to get the title mailed to him, and then mail it to me. For a $450 car (it was still a great deal for $700, but that's a different story).

Moral of the story: If the car is new enough to require a title in your state (or, possibly, in the seller's state), you had better get a title, and it had better be in your name.

- Eric
Old February 5th, 2014, 10:09 PM
Self-prescribed Newbie

Thanks for all the replies. It sounds like before anyone decides to purchase with no title, they'll need to research what to do in both the seller's state AND their state (if different) before proceeding.
Old February 6th, 2014, 09:33 AM
Old(s) Fart

As noted, the ONLY thing that matters is law and process in the state in which you will be trying to get a title. Here's a summary of the process in all fifty.
Old February 6th, 2014, 03:57 PM

Originally Posted by molasses4masses
Thanks for all the replies. It sounds like before anyone decides to purchase with no title, they'll need to research what to do in both the seller's state AND their state (if different) before proceeding.
By the sound of this, you are looking for trouble. Unless you're looking for a parts car. Nothing good is cheap and nothing cheap is good. On the flip side, think risk vs reward.
Old February 6th, 2014, 04:37 PM

Originally Posted by scorpio ps
By the sound of this, you are looking for trouble. Unless you're looking for a parts car. Nothing good is cheap and nothing cheap is good. On the flip side, think risk vs reward.
I have gotten titles on such cars here in MI without much trouble. Fill out a form, state where it came from, who it came from, etc. They investigate, and if there's no problem, you get a title.

Definitely a bonus to have the title though
Old February 6th, 2014, 05:20 PM
Self-prescribed Newbie

Originally Posted by scorpio ps
I just want to be educated about what needs to be done before any purchase is made.
Old February 6th, 2014, 07:03 PM

Titles

The way I see it is if a guy is asking $8,000 for a car he should have a clear title for it...What is the sense in buying a car and then finding out the previous owner had a title loan for a few grand on it that you now owe or stand to lose the car. I say BS to anyone who says Oh I can get a title for it just give me some more money...For me no title, no sale unless I am going to strip it and scrap what is left. In Tennessee it is $10 or so to replace a lost title and they sometimes print one out on the spot...if not it is a week or two. No issues means having a title is a simple thing. To me no title is a red flag...DANGER Will Robinson...DANGER.
Old February 6th, 2014, 09:42 PM

No title no deal.Who's to say it's not a stolen vehicle you are buying?DMV is a nightmare with correct paper work let alone none.