Deal or No Deal

Search this Thread

Old June 30th, 2008, 09:59 AM

Deal or No Deal

Hey folks, brand new to this forum...perhaps because I do not yet have a Classic Olds. However, I have spotted one for sale up the street. It's a mostly resotred (but not original) '67 convertible. It's red with a 455, (modified with new parts - water pump, alternator, intake manifold, slimline carb, etc), A/C, new interior including seats, carpet, dash, etc. It's pretty much done, but not show quality.

The current owner has stated to me that he has no idea what the car is worth. He has it listed as an estate aquisition, and will sell it for the best offer. Not having looked at these cars before, I'm just not sure what I should target as a price at which to go after this car.

I currently have a '79 Chevy stepside truck I'm working on, but the whole family can't fit in that one. I'd rather have something to cruise in that my wife and kids can all go.

Any advice from the group?
Old June 30th, 2008, 10:14 AM

What model is it? A Cutlass, 442, etc?
NADA online gives pricing for some classic cars and I got some fair prices from it for my group of cars. When I used it I did not have to pay, register, or anything. Just make sure you choose the classics or collectible catagory.
You would have to judge for yourself what "grade" it is in. The site will help you decide what it should be. This should at least get the ballpark in view...

It is nice it is up the street so you can revisit it often and convince yourself to buy it!
The wife and kids would love it.

Last edited by Lady72nRob71; June 30th, 2008 at 10:16 AM.
Old June 30th, 2008, 10:24 AM

On the plus side "When the top goes down the prices goes up"
On this minus side " It ain't origional"

Be sure to look closely for rust [and take a magnet] to detect bondo in the lower front fenders,and rear quarters, Check the trunk, floor pans and battery tray.

At the risk of starting a rock fight on this forum, IMHO the general market to the public is better for any convertible than a perfectly restored numbers matching car.

I did not say it was worth more, I said to the general public it is more desirable.

Before I need to duck, I will elaborate a might. MOST people don't know zippo about these cars and John Q and Suzzie Q Public just want a "classic" rag top to drive around occassionally.

When you are reading this board, often you are often gathering information for a very select group of people who REALLY know their stuff. [present company "self " exclude from the list]

Go ask 1000 people on the street the difference between a 68 and a 69 W-30 OAI set up and you will get looks like a deer staring into headlights. Post that question on this board and you will be amazed at the numbers of Oldsmobile Gurus who know exactly the difference.

I am a 69 type of guy so I will let others give you a guide as per $$$

Good luck
Old June 30th, 2008, 11:23 AM
car guy

Here is my advice take it or leave it. Unless you are looking for a matching number car to restore buy the absolute best body you can afford. Before I bought my 66 I looked at hundreds or cars on line and waisted a lot of gas with an empty trailer behind my truck to look at absolute junk that looked great in pictures. I even waited a few plane tickets.

You need to ask yourself what you want in the long run ot of the car. Driver to drive as is or needs a little TLC or a car that will need a complete resto to make you happy with it. If the latter how much can you do yourself. Good shops get lots of money to restore a car right.

If you don't know about body work and what to look for you need to have someone that does know what they are doing to look at it. There is at lot more bad work out there than good work unfortunatly. I usually charge $200.00 to look at a car and write up a detailed report on it. I have saved people thousands that wanted to buy a car from out of state. You should be able to find someone in you area that does the same.

If you want a perfect body and very nice custom restored chassis I may have to put mine for sale in a few months but it won't be cheap. Trying to fund a home add on and after talking with contractors my 66 may have to go to be able to afford it.
Old June 30th, 2008, 12:52 PM

It is a Delta 88.

To answer some of the other questions, there is some bondo on the front right quarterpanel. The rear bumper has some dings in it, but nothing major. All in all, it is a well-done resto, but like I said, not to show standards. The engine is painted, but not the firewall and engine compartment.

After talking to the owner, he wants to get $10K out of it, but admits that he has no idea how much the car is worth. I've checked NADA, and similar sites, and there is a WIDE variety of prices out there. I also checked recent auction websites to see what other 67 88s have gone for, and none have gone for close to 10. The average is about $6500, but I don't have pictures to assess how well they stack up.

Last edited by pillagingpiper; June 30th, 2008 at 12:59 PM. Reason: additional info
Old June 30th, 2008, 06:36 PM

If the motor has been worked on in conjunction with all of the other improvements that you mentioned then somebody may have already spent 10k on it in addition to acquisition costs. Do you have any idea what else needs to be done? If you are not using it for a show car then it sounds as if you may not have a lot more to do. Did you drive it? Does it run? I had my 67 out today with the top down, it's a great feeling. I also have a 455 that has plenty of get up and go. Good luck, there are not many of them left!
Old June 30th, 2008, 07:24 PM
car guy

The big cars are a lot less desireable so they go for a lot less. 10k would have to be a near perfect car. I have seen pretty nice B bodies go for 3-4 grand around here.
Old July 1st, 2008, 04:33 PM

Thanks for the information guys. I really appreciate your help. There really doesn't look like there is much else to do to it. It's not a perfect or near perfect car, with some bondo in the body work. It's just a fun cruiser. I'll look for it to sit for a couple weeks, and see if I can get it at a discount.

He stated that the previous owner had put $14,500 into it. I have a tough time seeing that.
Old July 1st, 2008, 05:15 PM
car guy

Originally Posted by pillagingpiper

He stated that the previous owner had put $14,500 into it. I have a tough time seeing that.
He forgot to mention that was his business bank deposit that one day he drove the car to work. He took the $14,500 back out to hand to the teller that day.
Old July 2nd, 2008, 05:45 AM

Originally Posted by pillagingpiper
Thanks for the information guys. I really appreciate your help. There really doesn't look like there is much else to do to it. It's not a perfect or near perfect car, with some bondo in the body work. It's just a fun cruiser. I'll look for it to sit for a couple weeks, and see if I can get it at a discount.

Where are you located? If you are around the Chicago area there is or was a 66 Delta conv. for sale with a part sconv. for 1,500.00
Old July 9th, 2008, 05:33 AM

I'm actually down in North Carolina, but thanks!
Old July 9th, 2008, 06:13 AM
Senior Moment

After talking to the owner, he wants to get $10K out of it, but admits that he has no idea how much the car is worth.
I got me this here old car.. it's a gotta be worth a lot of $$, cause it's this old car with a cloth roof that goes up and down.. whooo hooo honey!! we's gonna get us a big pay day outta this one!!! I'm a thinkin' 10,000 is a mighty fair price neighbor, and if'n I don't get that I'll just let it sit here and rust..

Some people think they have a gold mine just because they have an old car. Make an intelligent offer, then leave him your number. If he comes to his senses he may call.
Old August 23rd, 2008, 01:00 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by gearheads78
The big cars are a lot less desireable so they go for a lot less. 10k would have to be a near perfect car. I have seen pretty nice B bodies go for 3-4 grand around here.
Go to the threads Gearheads has posted on his 66 and you will know that he's not messing with you. He knows about cars and restorations and has a great sense of value. If he says 3-4 he's probably right on the money.

I have spent way more than 10000 just on parts that have yet to be installed on my car (really easy to do when you're buying NOS parts - they add up fast. And that's not even counting shipping or taxes). My car's body is immaculate and draws a lot of oooohs and aahhhs. The interior is mint. BUT I'LL TELL YOU THIS, and I think that every serious CO member can validate this. WHAT YOU PUT INTO A CAR ISN'T NECESSARILY WHAT YOU WILL GET BACK OUT OF IT. You can also run into the flip side. Put nothing into it and get more than you paid back out of it. Just depends on who thinks (the car) or (their money) is the best value.

Lets see now, the seller doesn't really know what it's worth. To my knowledge a 455 didn't come in the 66 Delmont. And glitter doesn't always make the car run better. I've always found that dickering for price is fun and rewarding. Try it and see. Let us know if you buy it, and how much.