The Newbie Forum The place where you should introduce yourself. Do not ask technical questions here, use the site forum sections.

Newbie returned to the fold

Search this Thread

Old May 7th, 2012, 02:33 PM

Thumbs up Newbie returned to the fold

Hi all, I am new to the forum. I just purchased a 1962 Olds Cutlass F85 and I am going to have questions. My First car was a 1974 Cutlass Salon and I have been an Olds Fan ever since. I also owned a 75 Cutlass Supreme for awhile. I am also BIG into El Caminos. Thanks to all for making this Site and Thanks in advance for any assistance.
I am not going to change anything from stock as this is a 47K mile original sporting floor shift Auto, Buckets and center console and 215 V8 with 4 bbl Carb.
I would consider swapping wheels and putting in a true dual exhaust, but everything will be done in a manner that does not detract from the car and can be reverted back to stone stock.
Any tips on keeping the car running like a top ( Regular maintenance, parts suppliers, what to watch out for) etc.
Part numbers for Oil Filters, Spark plugs etc.
Thanks again, Jeff
Old May 7th, 2012, 03:39 PM
Administrator

Welcome - pics are always appreciated!
Old May 7th, 2012, 03:51 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by JefF85
Hi all, I am new to the forum. I just purchased a 1962 Olds Cutlass F85 and I am going to have questions. My First car was a 1974 Cutlass Salon and I have been an Olds Fan ever since. I also owned a 75 Cutlass Supreme for awhile. I am also BIG into El Caminos. Thanks to all for making this Site and Thanks in advance for any assistance.
I am not going to change anything from stock as this is a 47K mile original sporting floor shift Auto, Buckets and center console and 215 V8 with 4 bbl Carb.
I would consider swapping wheels and putting in a true dual exhaust, but everything will be done in a manner that does not detract from the car and can be reverted back to stone stock.
Any tips on keeping the car running like a top ( Regular maintenance, parts suppliers, what to watch out for) etc.
Part numbers for Oil Filters, Spark plugs etc.
Thanks again, Jeff
Jeff,

Welcome. Two comments. The 61-63 cars run the exhaust in the tunnel next to the driveshaft. The muffler sits crosswise behind the rear axle. There is not room for two pipes in that tunnel. True duals require the pipes and mufflers to hang down under the floor.

It is possible to fit a single 2.5" pipe in the tunnel next to the driveshaft - I did that on my 62 wagon. Keep in mind that if a pair of 2.5" pipes are adequate for a 455, a single 2.5" pipe is adequate for a 215. You might want to check out my thread on fabricating an exhaust for my wagon:

https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...ting-work.html

The wheels are a bit of a problem, as the 4 x 4.5" bolt circle has limited aftermarket support. That bolt circle was also used on early (1964-70) six cylinder Mustangs and Falcons and I have a used set of 14x6 aluminum slot mags on my 62 that were originally on an early Mustang. 4x114.3 mm is 4x4.5" and wheels in this bolt circle are common but they all have FWD offset.
Old May 7th, 2012, 04:15 PM

Thanks Guys. Pics are in my album, I don't know how to post them otherwise. I see the exhaust runs tight at the driveshaft. I have to do some minor Exhaust repairs, thought I would give it a few more decibels. I suppose I can put a similar muffler to my wifes 79 El Camino SS or my 89 IROC Convertible.( Single pipe into transverse mounted muffler exiting at either sides)
Wheels are still in this car's future provided I can find something that flows with the era of the car and fits. ( Car has nearly new tread tires that are dryrotted from sitting 10 years)
Gonna change the oil, What Filters fit? Which oil to use? How many quarts?
Thanks