The Newbie Forum The place where you should introduce yourself. Do not ask technical questions here, use the site forum sections.

Newbie post #1

Search this Thread

Old November 5th, 2011, 10:26 AM

Newbie post #1

Hey all. Glad I "stumbled" on to this site. Me? Old, fat and out of shape. But I have a stable of Oldsmobiles that keep me happy. Years at McNielly Olds in Ma. before moving to Maine. Friggin arctic zone. Bought the old home-town garage in small-town-ville, re-named her Tech 1 and off I go. 17 years and counting. The shop is 50x50 and 2 stories. Used to be a body shop down around back under the street level shop, also 50x50, so plenty of room for projects. I have a 62 Cutlass conv. I bought from the original owner couple years back. Baby blue and a PUFF. 2 year resto. on a 72 442 almost done. Now Hugger Orange with W30 stripes. (I know) AND I found the build sheet under the rear pass. rug. Next will be a 72 S w/43k original miles. Bought a parts car w/buckets, console, 4bbl and hei. that will swap right in. A little upholstery work at home in front of the game and throw another one onto the "finished" pile, which includes a 53 Chevy Club Coupe, 61 Chry. Windsor, 49 Ply. Special Deluxe and a 68 P.O.S. GTO 400 4spd. Pretty nice but we aren't speaking right now. My 81 Cutlass Calais Brougham I bought in 85 is retired under cover, next to an 86. So, besides freezing my a** off, that's about it.
Old November 5th, 2011, 10:32 AM

Welcome aboard

Any time ya wanta come to the sunny south and finish one of mine. Just let me know.
Old November 5th, 2011, 10:47 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Up past Augusta, eh?

You ARE up there.

I'm thinking of moving south, myself - can't even ride the darn motorcycle half the summer.

Welcome!

- Eric
Old November 5th, 2011, 10:58 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Good intro story - welcome to C.O. You sound a lot like me except I'm not working and don't have a collection!! Other than that I also am enjoying the freezing climate (it was -11 this morning here, with wind chill of -23). Maybe Mon I'll venture out to the garage - it's going to be bathing suit weather (+4). The weather sucks; at least it hasn't snowed yet. I'd kill for a 50X50 heated workspace...

Post some pics of your projects from time to time, we love pics
Old November 5th, 2011, 11:18 AM
Administrator

Welcome! Way to cold up there for me!
Old November 5th, 2011, 12:08 PM

Welcome to CO stay warm it looks like it'll be another cold one up there this year.
Old November 6th, 2011, 08:49 AM

Welcome to Co. Sounds like a nice shop setup except for the cold. The classic Olds group needs to by a small town in a warm climate and build a garage condo complex for all us car guys.
Old November 7th, 2011, 06:03 AM

Gentlemen

Thanks for having me and the friendly welcome. I was in Fla. once. LOVED the outside lifts. Having a "heated" shop in Me. is not as easy as it sounds. The waste oil burner is running full on as we speak, though I just scored 600 gallons from a truck shop. I'm 54 and this is a young mans job, but I see the retirement light at the end of the tunnel. It's flashing yellow, so it looks like I only get to slow down, and until that P.O.S. GTO apologizes, WE AIN'T TALKIN! Monday morning and an 02 Concorde tranny swap awaits. Stay in school, kids......sigh....
Old November 7th, 2011, 06:08 AM
Cutlass Lover

......a garage condo complex for all us car guys.

And girls, Citcapp, lol! Welcome to our site rtbtms!!! This is the best place to be!
Old November 7th, 2011, 07:37 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Originally Posted by rtbtms
Stay in school, kids......sigh....
Even that won't do it. I went to plenty of school, and it doesn't look like I'll retire either.

Kids, get a good government job with a pension - military, police, or fire are the best - and you'll be in good shape. Remember that you've got to pay back those school loans one day, and if you've got loans the size of a mortgage, it'll be a little tough to get an actual mortgage.

- Eric