The Newbie Forum The place where you should introduce yourself. Do not ask technical questions here, use the site forum sections.

Newbie From NY

Search this Thread

Old July 30th, 2009, 05:31 PM

Newbie From NY

Hi all! Recently got married and she has an Olds. Not such a bad thing! 442 Clone she paid $600 for. Thought I would join as I need some parts and most likely some advice. ThanksDSC00005.jpg
Old July 30th, 2009, 06:10 PM
Registered Luser

Obviously, she is your better half.....looks to be a real 442, not a clone! Where in NY are you!
Old July 30th, 2009, 06:12 PM
Registered

Welcome

Not such a bad thing?
Do you mean getting married or her having an Olds?

My advice is you could of just bought an Olds for a lot less money than a wedding ring.

I jest, my 30th wedding anniversary is next year, she had a brand new Firebird.

There's plenty of expert advice here, don't be looking at me for any though.
Old July 30th, 2009, 06:51 PM

NY Newbie

I am all the way upstate on the US/Can border.

"Not such a bad thing?
Do you mean getting married or her having an Olds?"

The bad thing was that the Olds wasn't done at the time of the wedding. I married 2 high maint items it would seem.

The clone was actually pretty good as the previous owner had a legit 442 parts vehicle.

And yes she is my better half
Old July 30th, 2009, 08:01 PM
GM Enthusiast

Welcome to the forum!

Congrats on both the wedding and the car! Looks to be in pretty good shape considering how much they love to put salt on the roads up there.
Old July 31st, 2009, 09:11 AM

Location: Beaver Dams,NY (just south of Watkins Glen-you know,the race track)
Cool welcome/congrats/why do you say clone?

Welcome to the forum,and the world of Olds!Congrats on your recent marriage and may God bless you and yours.From a lifelong NY saltfighter,the car looks good.How is the rear frame and rear bumper mounting area?These are the real trouble spots on these cars in our neck of the woods.The rear spoiler,hood scoop,and wheels are admittedly add- ons,but the rest of the outside looks pretty legit.The correct stripes/decal emblems and header panel minus stand up hood ornament are right for the 85-87 442 package.The scoop is 83/84 Hurst Olds style,and the spoiler is similar.The red stripe on the side would not be original either.I hope this helps,and if I can help further feel free to contact me.
Old July 31st, 2009, 12:26 PM

Thanks for the welcome

Thanks for the reply and info Bp. The frame other than surface rust is perfect. Under the rear bumper looks as good as new. The car was originally from NJ so it may have been spared the salt. As you see it in the pic is how it was purchased last year. So far I have pulled the front clip off, sand blasted the frame and firewall, replaced all bushings with poyurethane, replaced ttie rods,shocks,brakes sway bar. I will be moving on to the engine soon. pics to follow.
Old July 31st, 2009, 03:26 PM

Welcome to the site sounds like you ended up with two good items Wife #1 Olds #2 best you keep it that way works out better