The Newbie Forum The place where you should introduce yourself. Do not ask technical questions here, use the site forum sections.

What's up with the Junction Block/Horn Relay $$$?

Search this Thread

Old July 30th, 2009, 08:09 PM

What's up with the Junction Block/Horn Relay $$$?

My horn is not working, so I figured I'd walk down to NAPA (3 blocks away!) and pick-up a New Horn Relay/Junction Block for my 1964 Cutlass. Didn't have one and didn't show one listed(part#),they said they would check for me.(they were busy at the time.) I went home to search online and found that they range from $40.00 - $99.00! Is that correct? A horn relay for a 64 Chevy is $9.00-$12.00. Am I missing something? Does anyone have a part# or a crossover?-Thanks Dan
Old July 30th, 2009, 08:57 PM

40 bucks is about right for a replacement style unit....A NOS correct unit can cost up to 125.00 or more if you can find one on Ebay
Old July 31st, 2009, 06:15 AM
Oldsdruid

59-68 Olds, 61-67 Buick and 61-67 Pontiac use this part.

Meaning it fits 64-67 GTO. Do I need to explain more?

I'll have to look up the number when I get home.
Old July 31st, 2009, 12:25 PM

GTOver-priced!

I am not concerned about original as much as I am functional. I have everything else electrical working on the car now,except the horn and back-up lights.
I don't have any Oldsmobile manuals yet, is there a schematic for the horn relay somewhere online I can look at? I have a wiring diagram, but it is not as detailed as I would like. -Thanks for the replys! -Dan
Old July 31st, 2009, 08:26 PM
Oldsdruid

The 64 manual is a 5-volume set, though you might find Vol 4 separate. It includes electrical, heater/ AC, and instrument panel.

Try unplugging everything and cleaning all the connections good, from horn relay to the horns. Use contact cleaner and a wire brush. Also- try grounding the small black wire on the plug. That wire goes to the horn button. If horns blow by grounding it, either the relay or the horn contact on steering column is bad.

You can make a parts store universal 12V horn relay work, it's just that the OE type incorporated everything in one unit. Run a 10 gage wire from the battery cable post on your original relay to the 12V term on the universal type relay. Green wire on the plug goes to the horn or load terminal, and the black wire in the plug goes to ground or horn button terminal. I'd use jumper wires so that when the day comes you find an OE type cheap, you haven't buggered any wires.

You can also take the horn bar off the steering wheel and clean the horn button contacts on it- sandpaper can work wonders here. Worst to worst, take the wheel off and clean the brass slip ring at top of column, and check to make sure the wire hasn't come loose from it. That spray can contact cleaner/lube is great stuff!

All kinds of tricks to try before shelling out the cash for the correct relay. Can ya tell I've been down this road before? on a 64 and a 66 fullsize Pontiac.

Last edited by rocketraider; July 31st, 2009 at 08:30 PM.
Old August 1st, 2009, 06:22 AM

Thanks Rocketraider! I have run continuity checks and cleaned everything with CRC electrical contact cleaner,tested both high and low horns seperately(both work!), the Horn Relay seems to be the broken link in the chain. I appreciate the help! - Dan