The Newbie Forum The place where you should introduce yourself. Do not ask technical questions here, use the site forum sections.

Newbie in NOVA

Search this Thread

Old October 9th, 2010, 05:59 AM

Originally Posted by bil
Here is your trim answer-it took a while to get to them! A schoolbus stuffed full of parts-i found my long-lost pile of 65 type auto consoles,my nice red convert.interior (65),some real nice 65 doors and decklids,another 65 fender,71 grilles in primo shape,a T bucket body,and a 32 Chevy roadster body.And only about 1/3 of the way in! I put this stuff in there over 16 years ago,and forgot about most of it.Here are the pics,the pair is from the 71 conv,the other was with them,but it may be a 65 piece.One of the 71 pieces has 2 small dings,easy fix.I think you want the other one,that one is perfect! ---bil

Can those trims be on the 72 Cutlass though/ Like did the body style from the 71 to 72?
Old October 9th, 2010, 08:44 AM
Oldsdruid

I guess it's because I hadn't paid that close attention to these cars lately, but the parts book has shown me that there are different rear wheel opening molding part numbers between 70-71 and 72 Supreme.

The great thing is the 72 Supreme uses the same moldings as all other 70-72 F85-Cutlass-442. So that makes your search a bit easier. You can use moldings from any 70-72 Cutlass on your car except those from 1970-71 Supremes or SX.

Now, I'm guessing the difference is the length of the 70-71 Supreme molding where it ties to the wide diecast side trim, which the 1972 Supreme doesn't have. A-body guys wanna elaborate?

Edit: Just noticed Bil said his moldings came off a 71 Supreme, so they will fit but not be long enough to go to the bottom edge of the wheel opening.

Last edited by rocketraider; October 9th, 2010 at 08:48 AM.
Old October 9th, 2010, 12:47 PM
bil

They came off a 71 convertible,not sure what the trim package was,I believe it was a Supreme,but may be wrong. I remember the year because I have the tail light lenses,and a convertible because I have the latch mechanisms.Post pics of the ends of yours. ---bil
Old October 9th, 2010, 01:32 PM

Originally Posted by bil
They came off a 71 convertible,not sure what the trim package was,I believe it was a Supreme,but may be wrong. I remember the year because I have the tail light lenses,and a convertible because I have the latch mechanisms.Post pics of the ends of yours. ---bil

I can post the pics by monday because im am not home right now but i think rocketraider maybe right because the molds you showed me look the same except they look smaller than the one I have. I only need one rear molding i think. But if they do fit my Cutlass then how much would you sell them for??
Old October 9th, 2010, 03:04 PM
bil

I dug out my Olds dealer literature to see what the difs were-hard to tell.From the grille pieces,I can see it was a 71 Supreme.Get pics and measurements-if it is the right one,you can have it. I mean,16,fathers Olds,coolest car in school-it it fits,how could I let you out in public like that?! ---bil BTW-there is also some fender trim pieces for sale down in the FS section,not sure if it is what you are looking for. Been a while since I had a 72.
Old October 11th, 2010, 10:08 AM

Originally Posted by bil
I dug out my Olds dealer literature to see what the difs were-hard to tell.From the grille pieces,I can see it was a 71 Supreme.Get pics and measurements-if it is the right one,you can have it. I mean,16,fathers Olds,coolest car in school-it it fits,how could I let you out in public like that?! ---bil BTW-there is also some fender trim pieces for sale down in the FS section,not sure if it is what you are looking for. Been a while since I had a 72.
bil, My father and I looked at the molding of the 72 and looked it up and from the pics and wat we have looked at we dont think they will be long enough. However thank you for at least trying to help us. It means a lot Thank you!!