The Newbie Forum The place where you should introduce yourself. Do not ask technical questions here, use the site forum sections.

Newbie from the Netherlands

Search this Thread

Old February 4th, 2021, 11:35 AM

Newbie from the Netherlands

Hello, I'm Jérôme from the Netherlands.

I'm currently restoring a '56 Super 88 which will be a "body off" in the near future.
I've had this car since 2000 and I drove it for 3 years. When I decided to do a compression test, I found out one of the valves was leaking, so I pulled the heads to rebuild them. The engine was so dirty, I decided to have the engine rebuilt and while the trans was out as well, it also had to be rebuilt.
Then I figured it was a good opportunity to repaint all metal under the hood, so I started with that as well.... Then life happened (kids, moving to a new house, new job with a year of studying) and the project came to a standstill. After a couple of years the wife was hinting on selling the project, so I started looking for comparable projects to set a price. While doing that, I stumbled on a 1950 Cadillac Coupe de Ville, just 3 miles from where I live, so I now have two old cars...

Fortunately, the Cadillac is in a very decent shape. This gave me the drive again to finish the Olds, so I started on that (slowly) 2 years ago.

All loose parts have been stripped of paint and put in primer, it should not be long before the body will come off the frame.

I hope to learn from you and also be able to contribute to this forum.

Jérôme

Old February 4th, 2021, 03:03 PM
Administrator

Welcome to the site. Funny story with the wife suggesting you sell your project and you come home with another. Very American.
Old February 4th, 2021, 04:06 PM
72 Olds CS

i loled at that too.

I once went to look at a rototiller and came back w honda 650 the wife was impressed !
Old February 5th, 2021, 01:40 AM

If I have had a wife who was capable of selling my stuff in my absence, I would have tried coming back with a replacement wife .
Yeah, welcome to the site, after having waited over a year before posting
Old February 5th, 2021, 06:47 AM
Olds Fever

Welcome to the group... Inspiration comes in many forms... Even if it means obtaining another project to kick the first one into high gear...
Old February 5th, 2021, 08:36 AM

Project cars are a disease that there is no known cure. Welcome to the group of the diseased.
On a more professional note most of us have been there and done that so questions are welcome if you get stuck, just ask. Most of fifties guys hang around the Vintage forum but any suited forum will get you a answer or directed to the Vintage forum.... Lost in the fifties... Tedd

Last edited by Tedd Thompson; February 5th, 2021 at 08:42 AM.
Old February 5th, 2021, 12:04 PM

Welcome. Another country is here on the forum!
Old February 6th, 2021, 01:55 AM

Originally Posted by Tedd Thompson
Project cars are a disease that there is no known cure. Welcome to the group of the diseased.
My introduction should have been " Hello, my name is Jérôme and I have an old car problem" ...
Originally Posted by Tedd Thompson
a more professional note most of us have been there and done that so questions are welcome if you get stuck, just ask. Most of fifties guys hang around the Vintage forum but any suited forum will get you a answer or directed to the Vintage forum.... Lost in the fifties... Tedd
I think I put my first question in the wrong forum. Thanks!