The Newbie Forum The place where you should introduce yourself. Do not ask technical questions here, use the site forum sections.

Newbie from Modesto, CA

Search this Thread

Old June 21st, 2013, 07:56 PM

Newbie from Modesto, CA

Hi My name is Scott and I recently purchased a 1962 F-85 Cutlass with no engine and transmission. I found this site and have since found out there is not much out there as for interior parts for these things. Every catalog I look at has hardly any 1961-1963 cutlass parts and a ton of 1964-on up. I am wondering is there any hidden sites online that may have some seat upolstery or is the only option to have custom made stuff.

Again I am new and have searched but not much has poped up.

Thanks,

Scott
Old June 21st, 2013, 08:08 PM

Welcome. Modesto,CA Thats cool. Thats where I'm from too.

David
Old June 21st, 2013, 08:12 PM

Well I am actually from Ceres, CA but no one usually knows where that is.
Old June 21st, 2013, 08:16 PM

Thats funny, cause I'm from Empire, CA but no one usually knows where that is too.
Old June 21st, 2013, 08:22 PM

I think your best bet for interior would be to get an upholstrey shop to try to copy the original stuff. I know there are a few in the Bay Area that could do it. As far as the valley none I could recommend as I just moved to Ceres two years ago.
Old June 21st, 2013, 08:26 PM
Administrator

Welcome, your right there are not a lot of aftermarket parts for your model year. Your going to have to be constantly on a treasure hunt. Ebay is a good source sometimes.
Old June 21st, 2013, 09:16 PM
GM Enthusiast

Welcome to CO! I agree about ebay. I have been able to find a few hard to find parts there for very reasonable prices.
Old June 22nd, 2013, 12:20 AM

Thanks everyone for the responses. I was looking for some factory style seat covers pre made and some foam. My wife's father does do upholstery in modesto I just didn't want to have him do it and not charge me for the labor. He is retired and does it from home but is getting up in the years and does not do many cars anymore.
Old June 22nd, 2013, 09:17 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by ScottsF-85
Thanks everyone for the responses. I was looking for some factory style seat covers pre made and some foam. My wife's father does do upholstery in modesto I just didn't want to have him do it and not charge me for the labor. He is retired and does it from home but is getting up in the years and does not do many cars anymore.
Welcome. As you've unfortunately found out, the 61-63 cars are completely different from the 64-72 cars and not very popular for restoration, so there is virtually nothing available in the aftermarket. You won't find sheet metal, trim, or interior parts. The 215 engine later became a Rover, so parts for that are easy. Suspension and brake parts are difficult but available if you know where to look. SMS Interiors does sell the upholstery material and will make door panels if you have the time and money. A friend of mine had them make door panels for his 62 and while it took a long time, they came out great.
Old June 22nd, 2013, 12:21 PM

Thanks I will just have to have the interior redone. That's not a issue. I just got back from looking for the original engine and transmission at the previous owners house and came up empty handed. Looks like I am either putting a stick in it or cutting the floor up. Is it really a crime to put a chevy engine in these cars? They just seem easier to get your hands on.

Scott
Old June 22nd, 2013, 01:04 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by ScottsF-85
Is it really a crime to put a chevy engine in these cars?
Yes.

Seriously, you're building this car because it ISN'T a 69 Camaro, so you want to put another belly-button Chubby motor in it? Yeah, it's been done, but...

ZZZZZZZZZZ

If you want to dare to be different, consider a Rover 4.6 liter. The Rover is externally identical to the 215 (including motor mounts and bellhousing bolt pattern). You can run the EFI or any intake that fits a 215 (like the new E-brock intake). F-85 exhaust manifolds bolt up. Use a T5 (D&D sells the bellhousings). That's what I'm doing on my 62.

Keep in mind that these cars only weigh about 2600 lbs. It's pretty easy to get 250-300 HP out of a Rover 4.6 (they have cross-bolted mains) and that gives you the same power-to-weight as a W-30.