The Newbie Forum The place where you should introduce yourself. Do not ask technical questions here, use the site forum sections.

Newbie from Kansas w/ a 1967 Delmont 88

Search this Thread

Old September 17th, 2014, 03:49 PM
1967 Delmont 88 Owner

Newbie from Kansas w/ a 1967 Delmont 88

Greetings all!

Apologies!!! I broke the rules and have been posting in other threads before introducing myself. I'm Sarah and I'm from the greater Kansas City area! And while I'm new to this forum, I'm NOT new to Oldsmobiles... I owned a '66 Dynamic 88 and a '76 Delta 88 in high school!

My husband and I love classic cars. Our first resto was a 1975 Camaro that we bought (rescued?) from a 16 y/o kid and a bad paint job...lol We had so much fun with that over the last few years! But as time and car shows went by, we realized we preferred something older and more cruiser (rather than muscle). So my husband ran across this 1967 Delmont 88 for sale and just couldn't let it go. (picture attached of the 2 cars together in our driveway!!!)

Turns out that the Delmont we purchased was also owned by another user in this forum - shainerman. I think he actually sold it to the guy who sold it to us... Not sure if shainerman still roams around here or not, seeing as how he isn't an Olds owner anymore (that I know of), but if you see him, tell him I say HI!!! He took great care of her! He has a thread in here where he talks about what he did (https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...der-build.html). He did a great job!

So - down to brass tacks...We've got a 1967 Oldsmobile Delmont 88, Holiday Coupe, w/ a 425 Super Rocket. When we purchased her this spring, she had 31K original miles. Shainerman was the 2nd owner, so technically we are the 4th owner (but the guy who owned her 3rd only had her for a couple of months.)

Currently, she's in the body shop getting a fresh paint job (back to factory GM white). There was a lot of surface rust in the jams, around the doors, underside of trunk lid and hood lid... you know what I mean. We are also having the trunk repaired - there was rust/holes under the mat -and we had a little leak around the windshield and back window that are being tended to. We went to visit her this past weekend at the body shop (picture attached). It's hard to look at her that way, but the prep work is the worst time... she will look show-room-new in a few weeks!

Once she comes back from body work, we need to go over her mechanically... Just tune-up stuff. After owning/driving this car for months w/ no problems, she over-heated on the way to the body shop, so we did a road-side thermostat replacement. Good times!

Should finances allow, the winter project will be to bag the suspension and upgrade to 4-wheel-disc, we'll also under-coat everything underneath.

In addition to this beautiful car, we also have the owner's manual, and we even have the build sheets! So we know that the Delmont was built in Kansas City's Fairfax #1 plant... My husband's grandfather and great-uncles worked in that plant at the time the car was built. Serendipity! Maybe they helped build this Delmont! (Running joke in the house-hold is that we can never get rid of the Delmont because of that... OK, not really a joke... we're NOT getting rid of it... )

Many thanks for stopping by and reading my VERY lengthy introduction.

All the best!
Sarah
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
1967 Oldsmobile Delmont 88.jpg (37.8 KB, 24 views)
Olds & Camaro.jpg (48.0 KB, 22 views)
BodyShop.jpg (35.7 KB, 22 views)
Old September 17th, 2014, 04:11 PM

Welcome! Seems you are quite enthuastic over the Olds, thats Great! Looking at the other owner's thread here did dual exhaust ever get put on? It will really wake up that snappy 425!
Old September 17th, 2014, 07:31 PM
Administrator

Welcome to the site, your car ought to look awesome with the new paint and planned mods. Keep us posted on the progress.
Old September 18th, 2014, 09:03 AM

Welcome Sarah. Nice car.
Old September 18th, 2014, 09:34 AM

Welcome!
I have a 4-dr similar parts car, but few parts in MI worthy of your ride.

Engine, trans, maybe interior or some stainless exterior trims.
517. Four 49. Oh 432 Chris
Old September 18th, 2014, 09:39 AM

Welcome to CO from the left coast

Great to see another car girl on the site. Sweet ride and your plans sound great.