The Newbie Forum The place where you should introduce yourself. Do not ask technical questions here, use the site forum sections.

Newbie just off Highway 66 in Tulsa

Search this Thread

Old May 19th, 2010, 06:29 PM

Cool Newbie just off Highway 66 in Tulsa

As I write this there is a tornado producing storm is heading into Tulsa! But thats not your concern lol.

I have the great honor of owning a 1964 olds 98. It is the 6 window Luxury Sedan, I have heard these are decently rare. I acquired the car through a trade with a friend. I gave a 91 Nissan 240sx for a straight up trade. It was used for parts for my other project 240. This is not only the first V8 I have owned but the first car with a carb.

With that being said I want to express my excitement for learning some new things and extend a thank you, in advance, to everyone here in the Oldsmobile community for contributing to a sight like this. Forum information was critical to building my Nissan.

The car seems to be all original minus some fiberglass repair on the right quarter. I have been told the engine has ran within the past year and it has a new electric pump.

The carb is what is tripping me up currently. I cant find the numbers on it for the life of me! It is a Rochester 4 barrel, also it is stamped with 4-Jet.

Anyone know if this is the original carb for the motor and where to find someone that could identify/locate parts/rebuild this carb?
Old May 19th, 2010, 07:46 PM
1972 Cutlass 455

Hey there, and welcome to the site! Looks like you have a pretty cool project there. Search this forum for "carb rebuild". There is a gentleman that is highly recommended for servicing and rebuilding carbs if you don't want to take it one yourself. I know my carb number on my 4-barrel is on the drivers side, close to the back, turned sideways. Hope tha makes sense. It may be covered up with some 45 year old crud, so you may have to scrub it down with some thinner. Also take a look at some posts from Olds64. He is the land yacht club president on here, he knows his stuff!
Old May 19th, 2010, 07:48 PM

Originally Posted by cnewp000
I have heard these are decently rare.
I can't speak for today, but back in 1964 they were not rare as far as 98's went. The Luxury Sedan version of the 1964 98 had the second-highest production of all '64 98s at 17,346. Only the Holiday Sports Sedan saw a higher production at 24,791. A total of 68,254 98s of all body styles were made in 1964.

Your car looks pretty decent from what we can see of it in that one photo.

Anyone know if this is the original carb for the motor and where to find someone that could identify/locate parts/rebuild this carb?
Carburetor rebuilding services can be found by doing some google searching. One place I had some success with is carbsonly.com

http://www.carbsonly.com/

I needed some replacement parts for the carb in my '67 Delta 88, and they had an identical one that was in poor shape overall but the parts I needed (choke assembly) were OK. I got the whole carburetor from them for $40 and thought it was well worth it.

I was able to get a rebuild kit for the carb right through my local Autozone auto parts store. I did a search just now at their site, and they show a carburetor rebuild kit for a '64 98 with a 4-bbl carb for $19.99. You'll have to special order it, so it might take a day or two to get it.

I rebuilt the carb on my '67, and it turned out to be far less trouble than I thought it would be, I learned a lot, and the engine runs well now. Just do it slowly, keep very good track of where all the little parts go, take photos along the way (a good digital camera is invaluable in any aspect of old car restoration), and don't throw ANYTHING away until you're absolutely, 100% sure you don't need it, and then keep it anyway.

Good luck.
Old May 19th, 2010, 09:49 PM

Welcome, should be a nice cruiser. This where I just sent the carb for my '71, he has been doing them since 1965. Good reputation. http://www.thecarbshop.com/
Old May 20th, 2010, 03:20 AM

Welcome

Welcome aboard

If here's a storm coming, Quit typing and cover up the Olds.
Old May 20th, 2010, 05:12 AM
Past Administrator

Welcome to CO. I have seen those six window luxury sedans before, my son used to own one. They are very nice cars.
Old May 20th, 2010, 06:25 AM

Oh yeah!

My first Oldsmobile was EXACTLY like that... only it was white.

The stock carburetor was a Rochester 4 jet. It was the predecessor to the Q-jet. You can look for Danny Sarvis' information on our website. He is a member (70WCars) that rebuilds carburetors from time to time. He rebuilt my Q-jet and did a great job!

One thing you need to be careful with is the manual throttle valve on the side of your carburetor. This setting is critical for the prolonged life of your transmission! The Slim Jim Rotohydramatic transmission is the weak link in that car IMHO.

Definitely keep us posted, and stay safe! I know OKC and Tulsa have been hit worse with weather than SW OK.
Old May 20th, 2010, 06:47 AM

what a cool car welcome to the land yachts! more pics please!
Old May 20th, 2010, 06:59 AM

A big WELCOME to CO and the Oldsmobile Family.........
Old May 25th, 2010, 06:52 PM

This one might have been yours OLDS64 it has white jambs...

The storm turned out alright, quite a lightning show. Oklahoma city got most of the rain. Don't worry Jamesbo I keep the Olds under a carport.

After heading down to the local speed shop, I was put in touch with a guy that could not only rebuild my original 4-Jet, but he lived down the street and could get it back to me the next day!

I was excited to hear the engine run after putting the carb back on. So you know I took it for a cruise around the block!

The good news: The car ran and drove pretty well for a 46 year old car. Yeah, that is two years shy of twice my age! And...I am now able to put the garage door on my newly closed in car port!

The bad news: The trip was short lived with a steaming radiator. Turns out either there is a clog in the cooling circuit or the water pump is no good, hopefully the latter.

I find that the electric fuel pump will flood the engine if I don't kick it off soon enough.I want to go ahead and return the fuel system back to OEM.

Upon closer inspection, I found the the valve cover gaskets to be leaking and a sputtering coming form the passenger exhaust manifold. I have the single exhaust, is this a common place for leaks?

Thank you for such a warm welcome to the Oldsmobile community, I look forward to sharing with you all as this build progresses.

Next on the list:
Water pump (need $$$)
Flush the radiator
Valve cover gaskets (ordered)
Fuel Pump (need part number)
Drop and clean or replace the tank
Old May 25th, 2010, 07:08 PM

Old May 25th, 2010, 07:16 PM
GM Enthusiast

Welcome to the forum. I like your ride, she looks nice.
Old May 26th, 2010, 07:49 AM
Loose Radical

Your car looks really solid.

Here is a little 'TULSA' trick:
Next time a twister is rolling through, tape off your windows and chrome. Then get 14 bags of sand and make pour them to make a ring around your car. When the tornado comes though it will pick up the sand and clean all the exposed metal on your car.
Voila! ready to prime and paint
Old May 28th, 2010, 05:55 AM

Good to hear that you got it running. I doubt that is my old 64. Eventhough it was white at one time it was also turquoise and azure blue.

I sold my 64 98 about 18 months ago. Supposedley it was going to a guy that lives in Sweden. Is the interior blue? Did it come with small hubcaps? I did have an electric fuel pump on it. Now I am wondering...