The Newbie Forum The place where you should introduce yourself. Do not ask technical questions here, use the site forum sections.

Newbie from Holland; my 1st Olds

Search this Thread

Old October 23rd, 2013, 04:25 PM

Newbie from Holland; my 1st Olds

Hi there!
I've had a 1960 Cadillac 6-windows Sedan de Ville (pale pink, white top) since 2005 (bought it for my best friend's wedding ) and after a full engine, trans and A/C rebuild 2 years ago I really caught the Classic Virus .
Besides this cool cruiser I wanted a classic conv successor for my Mazda Miata 10th anniversary. (OK, that's quite a different league)
Last friday I bought myself a 69 Cutlass S conv with a freshly rebuilt 400ci 4.4.2 engine. I was told it was numbers matching, but according to the Olds brochures this engine was not a factory option for the Cultass S in 69 (only 350ci V8 or the straight 6).
VIN starts with 336679, so that's correct for a V8 Cutlass 2-door conv.

I don't have the engine derivative # right here, but I was told that a web-search with that engine # results in "rare block" that was only for 69.
Could anyone of you Olds & Wise people tell me if this combination of the 400ci 4.4.2 engine with a Cutlass S conv body could have rolled out the Lansing factory?
Anyway; it's an AWESOME combination and (opposite of my all authentic Cadillac) I don't mind it's not 100% original and tweaked a bit for modern driving comfort.
It corners like a train on the 17" rims with low profile tires.

Technically it's great. My contribution will be upgrading all the weatherstripping and interior; that's black vinyl now and a bit worn out, so I probably will throw in a tailor-made blue (2-tone?) leather upholstery onto the seats, new carpet, new doorcard, rear side cards and arm rests.
That will match the blue body much better!
Are the interior kits at OPGI.com a good (quality) deal or can anyone recommend another supplier? (I can't find really clear pictures of the actual products of the OPGI kits, anyone know who's the actual producer?)

Any tips on other one-stop 69 Cutlass S parts/accesories suppliers are welcome!
Thanks in advance for your input. This Olds deserves to rock on for decades!
Old October 23rd, 2013, 04:44 PM

Welcome to CO

Glad to have you with us. Lots of guys on the site to help you out. Me, well as you can see I am stuck in the 40's and 50's