The Newbie Forum The place where you should introduce yourself. Do not ask technical questions here, use the site forum sections.

Newbie here considering a '56 Super 88

Search this Thread

Old January 13th, 2014, 09:51 AM

Newbie here considering a '56 Super 88

Hello all!

I am considering the purchase of a four door 1956 Super 88 sedan that has some rust damage to the passenger side floor board. It also has some minor rust spots on both passenger side doors near the bottom of the car. Surface rust is present on the front bumper and in very small amounts on the hood. The vehicle has been fitted with an aftermarket AC and stereo, but has power steering and brakes (presumably from the factory). There is a minor crack in the front passenger windshield, along with some minor, easily addressed mechanical issues.

If you folks would be so kind, could you suggest a maximum offer that I should submit for a car with these issues?
Old January 13th, 2014, 10:00 AM
Administrator

Welcome, pictures would help a lot with a better description of the mechanical issues.
Old January 13th, 2014, 10:15 AM

Thanks for the reply! There is a slow oil leak near the rear of the car that would supposedly require a "felt" seal that these cars used as opposed to a rubber seal (according to the current owner). There is a fuel line that needs to be rerouted, and the carburetor could use some work (but currently functions).

Here are photos of the rust:

X8gx15K.jpg

kdVmgvu.jpg

9UCVUgo.jpg

IA7mvKy.jpg
Old January 13th, 2014, 10:18 AM

Oh...also...the wipers don't work, but he has a new wiper motor that he is willing to throw in if I purchase the car.
Old January 13th, 2014, 10:25 AM
Administrator

Do you have some pictures of the whole car inside and out? The rust under the paint may or may not be severe, looks like it had been repaired previously in spots.
Old January 13th, 2014, 10:34 AM

Here's the whole car

XTvm9TI.jpg

HTMCTxP.jpg

bqo41cH.jpg
Old January 13th, 2014, 11:07 AM

What's the most that you guys would recommend as an offer?
Old January 13th, 2014, 11:17 AM
Administrator

Imho, probably about $5-7k maybe a bit more.
Old January 13th, 2014, 11:22 AM

Wow that is lower than I expected! Thank you so much for the input, oldcutlass.
Old January 13th, 2014, 11:26 AM
Administrator

That's what it's worth to me. If it were a 4dr hardtop or a 2 door different story. Others may have a different opinion.
Old January 13th, 2014, 11:46 AM

Gotcha. Thank you again!
Old January 13th, 2014, 12:00 PM

Those are standard rust locations for these cars. take a magnet alone next time you go look at the car and test several areas along the bottom of the sills, doors and lower fender areas. If a magnet does not hold there may be more rust than you want to deal with. Also check the frame. If this is an east coast car the frame might be damaged as well.

The 4 doors while not as popular as the hardtops are still cool cars. I agree with the above price range
Old January 13th, 2014, 12:03 PM

Do you have access to the vehicle to inspect it personally? I'm looking at that third and forth pic, and it's making me queasy. I've seen that before, and it's not good. What I'm seeing is a flip repair ... rust holes stuffed with bondo and painted over for a quick sale. The uber clean interior paired with penetrating rust holes in new looking paint scream run away just as loudly as a hot babe at the bar with a short skirt and an adam's apple. I'd wager if you ran a high powered magnet along the rockers, door bottoms, et al ... you'd find it wouldn't stick in plenty of places.

I may be wrong ...That's just what I'm seeing.
Old January 13th, 2014, 12:10 PM

Thank you so much!! I will check it with a magnet later today.

Originally Posted by citcapp
Those are standard rust locations for these cars. take a magnet alone next time you go look at the car and test several areas along the bottom of the sills, doors and lower fender areas. If a magnet does not hold there may be more rust than you want to deal with. Also check the frame. If this is an east coast car the frame might be damaged as well.

The 4 doors while not as popular as the hardtops are still cool cars. I agree with the above price range
Old January 13th, 2014, 12:12 PM

Thank you so much for the reply! I do have access to the car, and I can inspect it personally. Other than using a magnet, would there be any other way to check and see if it was a flip repair?

Originally Posted by Professur
Do you have access to the vehicle to inspect it personally? I'm looking at that third and forth pic, and it's making me queasy. I've seen that before, and it's not good. What I'm seeing is a flip repair ... rust holes stuffed with bondo and painted over for a quick sale. The uber clean interior paired with penetrating rust holes in new looking paint scream run away just as loudly as a hot babe at the bar with a short skirt and an adam's apple. I'd wager if you ran a high powered magnet along the rockers, door bottoms, et al ... you'd find it wouldn't stick in plenty of places.

I may be wrong ...That's just what I'm seeing.
Old January 13th, 2014, 12:23 PM

Personally, I would take an awl and poke hard all along that bottom line. It's gonna need painting anyhow. If the owner objects, he already knows what you'll find. Poke into those rust throughs and see what falls out, feel around with your finger for more 'toothpaste' globs. If you happen to have one, a borescope will let you see inside ... that rust through looks big enough already.
Old January 13th, 2014, 12:31 PM

I don't own a borescope, but I certainly have an awl! In the event that I find a shoddy repair job like the one you've described, would it still be worth buying at a lower price in your opinion, or should I simply look for another one?
Personally, I would take an awl and poke hard all along that bottom line. It's gonna need painting anyhow. If the owner objects, he already knows what you'll find. Poke into those rust throughs and see what falls out, feel around with your finger for more 'toothpaste' globs. If you happen to have one, a borescope will let you see inside ... that rust through looks big enough already.
Old January 13th, 2014, 01:03 PM

Again, just my opinion ... any seller trying to flip a car, particularly behind a shoddy repaint deserves to see nothing but a single digit ...

It all depends on how much you want this car, and what else you find, and just how much are you willing to drop on getting it back to square. I personally rebuilt a '91 sonoma ext cab with similar 'repairs'. I was told by any number to people to crush it and move on ... several people even offered to hunt me up a full replacement cab for a couple of hundred bucks ... I went ahead and cut, beat and welded it back into shape. Financially, if I'd paid anything for all the sheet metal I redid on that, it would have been even more stupid. But I made all my own panels ('cept the rockers .. bought those), did all the work myself, and counted my time (I bill myself jobs at $20/h) against what I'd have paid to learn those skills. IMHO, I about broke even ... but the truck is still only worth a couple of hundred bucks even after all I did.

The interior work may well be exceptional, maybe even enough to make 20 hours of body work well worth it ... or it could be a lace curtain on a broken window. Much depends on how you'd take care of the work needed ... certainly you've already considered that the rust you can see needs fixed.

Nobody can answer those questions but you. If you do buy it ... I look forward to following your progress. It is a pretty car. I've fallen for a few lipstick wearing pigs in the past myself ... can't say I've regretted the experience.
Old January 13th, 2014, 01:06 PM

Hahaha very well put! Thank you so much, and I will keep you all posted on what I decide.

Again, just my opinion ... any seller trying to flip a car, particularly behind a shoddy repaint deserves to see nothing but a single digit ...

It all depends on how much you want this car, and what else you find, and just how much are you willing to drop on getting it back to square. I personally rebuilt a '91 sonoma ext cab with similar 'repairs'. I was told by any number to people to crush it and move on ... several people even offered to hunt me up a full replacement cab for a couple of hundred bucks ... I went ahead and cut, beat and welded it back into shape. Financially, if I'd paid anything for all the sheet metal I redid on that, it would have been even more stupid. But I made all my own panels ('cept the rockers .. bought those), did all the work myself, and counted my time (I bill myself jobs at $20/h) against what I'd have paid to learn those skills. IMHO, I about broke even ... but the truck is still only worth a couple of hundred bucks even after all I did.

The interior work may well be exceptional, maybe even enough to make 20 hours of body work well worth it ... or it could be a lace curtain on a broken window. Much depends on how you'd take care of the work needed ... certainly you've already considered that the rust you can see needs fixed.

Nobody can answer those questions but you. If you do buy it ... I look forward to following your progress. It is a pretty car. I've fallen for a few lipstick wearing pigs in the past myself ... can't say I've regretted the experience.
Old January 13th, 2014, 02:45 PM

How is the engine and transmission as well as the brakes on the car?
Old January 13th, 2014, 03:12 PM

Brakes are solid, along with the engine and transmission (according to my mechanic) minus the mechanical issues that I mentioned above.
Old January 13th, 2014, 04:46 PM

Well, guys...I bought it!
Old January 13th, 2014, 04:48 PM
Administrator

Annnnnnd, what was the price?
Old January 13th, 2014, 04:49 PM

Glad to hear that. Is the trans a slant pan or later model? Interior is very nice and the paint is nice but also concerned about the bubbling. Is there any rust showing around the front or rear windows.
Old January 13th, 2014, 04:50 PM

Guess I waited too long to ask questions.
Old January 13th, 2014, 04:52 PM

I poked the rust holes and they were very shallow. I even got up under the body and checked everywhere as best I could and the rust was very minimal. The price...well let's just say I worked out a deal with him and I didn't break the bank!
Old January 13th, 2014, 05:04 PM

... And it begins. Pucker up, your bacon awaits. Did you get it home, or are you awaiting delivery?
Old January 13th, 2014, 05:05 PM

LOL Professur!! She's right here next to me. I'm having a bite to eat, then it's off to the house.
Old January 13th, 2014, 05:09 PM
Administrator

Come on, you picked our brains on price, just curious. Spit it out. Just for my info on future info.
Old January 13th, 2014, 06:42 PM

I paid 11 for it. For some strange reason, I prefer a 4 door and I prefer a B post. I'm glad in the sense that it attracts me to lower priced cars...but yes...the 1956 Super 88 aka Rocket 88 four door sedan has been my dream car since my younger years...which is why I was willing to pay what I paid. I was going to end up putting in the A/C and stereo myself, so it saved me the headache. When I poked into the rust and I saw how superficial it was, I felt comfortable paying a little more. I drove the **** out of it on the way home and it drives just like a brand new car (since it has power everything.

She might be a pig with lipstick on, but what a sow!
Old January 13th, 2014, 07:22 PM
Administrator

Congrats on your purchase. A cars worth is only as much as someone is willing to stroke a check for. For your info:

http://www.nadaguides.com/Classic-Ca...r-Sedan/Values
Old January 13th, 2014, 07:25 PM

Thanks so much, oldcutlass...and thanks for your help earlier today. I appreciate it very much! I guess I bought low according to that guide!

Originally Posted by oldcutlass
Congrats on your purchase. A cars worth is only as much as someone is willing to stroke a check for. For your info:

http://www.nadaguides.com/Classic-Ca...r-Sedan/Values
Old January 13th, 2014, 07:41 PM

What part of the country do you live in?
Old January 13th, 2014, 07:43 PM

South Florida.

Originally Posted by Olds Scott
What part of the country do you live in?
Old January 13th, 2014, 07:47 PM

Salt air is hard on these beautiful chrome beasts.
Old January 13th, 2014, 07:48 PM

I know it! Luckily I live pretty far inland, and I will do my best to keep her in tip top shape.
Originally Posted by Olds Scott
Salt air is hard on these beautiful chrome beasts.
Old January 13th, 2014, 08:18 PM
Administrator

I was also assuming mechanical issues, I think if it runs and drives well you did good.
Old January 14th, 2014, 06:50 AM

An after market A/C unit for a 56 can run as much as $3000 bucks so if it is a quality conversion, not a bad deal. Just wondering does it have a Slant Pan transmission or a Jetaway. Not a big deal ether way but it would make a some difference in longevity with the nod going towards the Slant Pan for toughness. I'm glad to see another one back on the road and running with the pack....Lost in the fifties ...Tedd
Old January 14th, 2014, 08:52 AM

Congrats on you purchase

She's a lovely lady and should treat you kindly. Just gotta show her the proper respect and keep her looks up
Old January 16th, 2014, 04:42 PM

Thanks, fellas! I haven't been on here for a few days because I've been tinkering with the car and riding around quite a bit! I have a few questions that I'll post in the appropriate areas. I really appreciate the replies and kind words though! I'm doing my best to keep her up to snuff with my limited mechanical knowledge.

Quick Reply: Newbie here considering a '56 Super 88