The Newbie Forum The place where you should introduce yourself. Do not ask technical questions here, use the site forum sections.

Newbie here!

Search this Thread

Old September 20th, 2016, 07:49 AM

Newbie here!

Hello everyone!

My name is Jacquie (everyone calls me Jac though) I'm 26 and this is my 1971 Cutlass. It has a 350 engine. The car and I are located in Cambridge Ontario.

My mom flew out to Alberta years back and drove this car back to Ontario. She passed away 6 months ago and left this car to me.

The car does run and I plan on doing a restoration on it. It has sat for the last few years but has been started at least once a year and driven around for a few hours just to try to keep the car going. The engine and transmission were rebuilt about 4-6 years ago

I have about $3000 saved up to get me started over the winter fixing the mechanical and body. I plan on doing as much of the work myself to save on costs, so expect lots of questions in the near future!

My plan for the car is to get everything under the hood cleaned up and working properly, patch up the body, do a vinyl wrap (I know I know..) until I can afford a nice paint job one day and finally drive this beautiful car around to try to intice my generation to do the same and keep these classics alive for many years to come!

For now the questions I have are;

1. After sitting all last year in London Ont there is no oil in the car. What is the best product to find the leak and best way to patch it up?
1.2. How long is the dipstick on this year? I believe it is suppose to be 20" but my gut is saying 19". I haven't yet measured the one that's in it. It I do believe it is the correct one but just want to be sure that it is!

2. The ATF is leaking so same question I suppose. I know that my mom was just topping this up as she went when she drove it previously.

Any help now and in the future would be amazing, I know my way around tools, I just don't have many LOL. My dad built and worked on cars most of my life and I've worked in car shops and big rig shops for many years. Jobs that are beyond me I have no problem taking to someone more quailified just want to try to do most myself to learn, be proud after it's done.. and of course save some money.

Last edited by jac519; September 20th, 2016 at 08:08 AM.
Old September 20th, 2016, 08:14 AM
Administrator

Welcome to the site, my sequence of events is to get the car moving, engine (to include a good tune up), trans, and rear end. Next the safety items, brakes/wheel bearings and lighting. Then suspension and front end. Lastly cosmetic, paint and interior.

The only way to find leaks are to fill the fluids, park over some sheets of cardboard and let gravity show you an approximate area above the drops and puddles to look at.
Old September 20th, 2016, 05:52 PM
Hookers under Hood

Welcome Jac, Eric gave the best advice with putting cardboard under the car to try and find the leaks.
This is the best Olds site around with so many guys here than can help you out with all of your questions.
As Eric mentioned top up all the fluids and go from ther.
Good to have you here with us.
Cheers
Eric H
Old September 21st, 2016, 08:38 AM

Welcome to the site Jac! You will find that it is a great source of information.