The Newbie Forum The place where you should introduce yourself. Do not ask technical questions here, use the site forum sections.

Newbie 71 Cutlass S Post

Search this Thread

Old June 9th, 2020, 09:54 AM

Newbie 71 Cutlass S Post

My new love
Hello all! I'm new to this forum and excited to be apart of the Cutlass Community. I purchased a 71 Cutlass S Post that I'm looking to restore!! I'm from the Lonestar State. I am looking forward to sharing and receiving tricks and tips of the trade.
Old June 9th, 2020, 11:08 AM

Congrats, and welcome! Love to see more photos...my car is very similar to yours except no post.

The paint colour is "Bittersweet", a '71 only colour for Olds but I think the same paint mix was used under different names for a couple of GM products. It's not a common colour from what I've seen. Those front grills are hard to find so take care of yours...they're not reproduced. The '71 and '72 models are virtually identical with primarily only cosmetic differences (such as headlight bezels painted black in '72).

It looks like you have a nice solid car to start with. What are your plans for the restoration?

Old June 9th, 2020, 11:49 AM
Administrator

Welcome to the site, congrats. I know that gas station well... There is a pretty active Olds club down there in the San Antonio area.
Old June 9th, 2020, 01:06 PM

Originally Posted by VI Cutty
Congrats, and welcome! Love to see more photos...my car is very similar to yours except no post.

The paint colour is "Bittersweet", a '71 only colour for Olds but I think the same paint mix was used under different names for a couple of GM products. It's not a common colour from what I've seen. Those front grills are hard to find so take care of yours...they're not reproduced. The '71 and '72 models are virtually identical with primarily only cosmetic differences (such as headlight bezels painted black in '72).

It looks like you have a nice solid car to start with. What are your plans for the restoration?

Thanks! I plan on keeping it the Bittersweet color..one solid color and removing the trim on upper quarter panel. One white stripe down center of hood down to olds logo on front. I seen another car on Google with white stripe. I cannot find many Post Cutlass on Google. Going with Sienna Brown interior. I ordered rear seat frame with springs from Sundell Auto N.C. and they just called back stating they have to cancel my order. Seat frame was for a HT and no Post. I want to keep it as original as possible so I will end up buying front seat frames too. Plan is Legendary Auto Interior for the insides.

My dilemma

Old June 9th, 2020, 01:09 PM

Originally Posted by oldcutlass
Welcome to the site, congrats. I know that gas station well... There is a pretty active Olds club down there in the San Antonio area.
I purchased it from a guy in a San Antonio and drove it back to Houston. Wasn't a fun drive without air conditioner and traffic on I10. Do you know if there are any Olds Clubs in Spring/Woodlands area? Thanks
Old June 9th, 2020, 05:36 PM

Welcome! That’s a good looking car, it will be nice to see one kept original and not cloned as a 442. We like lots of pics here.
Old June 10th, 2020, 04:32 PM

I think a two door post or hard top use the same size back seat.