The Newbie Forum The place where you should introduce yourself. Do not ask technical questions here, use the site forum sections.

Newbie with 49 88

Search this Thread

Old August 11th, 2009, 07:44 PM

Newbie with 49 88

Hi All, Great site!
Just picked up a 49 2 DR SEDAN 88. This has been one of my faves for years. They just dont seem to show up very often in restorable condition. Its rough but everthing is there. Could some of you help me with parts sources for these old guys. The steering box is very loose as is the front suspension...looking for reputable vendors to help with parts. Also need a gas tank (thats actually the only thing missing) Finally, if I was to upgrade to Disc brakes does anyone make a kit? If I were to go even further does anyone make a modern front suspension with full a arms/tube shocks/rack and pinion ect... I see these type of kits for the more popular Fords ect. in Rodding magazines, but not for the 49/50 Olds. Any help is appreciated in advance.
Regards,
Cary
Old August 12th, 2009, 04:11 AM

Welcome

Welcome aboard

I'm not up to date on your year model but hang in there some one with some knowledge will be with ya shortly.

Post some pics when you can.
Old August 12th, 2009, 05:12 AM
Past Administrator

Welcome to CO. I go to Kanter and Fusick. They both have parts for our Oldsmobiles and both have websites.
Old August 12th, 2009, 05:43 AM

Welcome to CO

The fastback sedans are great looking cars. There are a number of options on the disk brakes and the suspension, it depends on which way you want to go. Are you going restore your car, turn it into a hotrod, maybe a cruiser. I have a Mustang front end kit on my 48 with rack and pinion steering and am going to install a 455 as a example, and I also have disc brakes and a ford 9" rear end. Tell us more about your plans and we will add more comments.

Last edited by citcapp; August 12th, 2009 at 11:03 AM.
Old August 12th, 2009, 06:19 AM

Welcome. IF you know how to weld you are set. Alot of the Ford front end kits and such can be adapted to pretty much any car if you have decent fabricating skills.
Old August 12th, 2009, 11:40 AM

49 olds

Thanks for the help! I would like to update the car so it rides and stops well. Someone has already replaced the original engine/trans with a 350c chevy, so I am not concerned about originality. I want to at the very least put disc brakes up front. Also might go with a mustang 11 type front end kit if one is available for the 49 OLDS...its actually not a fastback, just a 2 dr 88 non hard top..whats the official way to descibe my car? 2 dr coupe?
Citcapp, you mentioned you have already installed a mustang front end kit on your 48, was it made for your car or did you have to modify it. Where did you get it ?
If I go with just adding disc brakes to my existing suspension does anyone know where a kit can be found? Last ? Is my suspension/frame the same as a 49 chevrolet? Thanks for the help!
Old August 12th, 2009, 01:45 PM

Does the car run? If so then I am surprised. That SBC doesn't have much torque or HP. It is a wonder that it moves the car faster than 5 mph.
Old August 12th, 2009, 11:00 PM

booc,
I'm putting a '68 Olds Vista Cruzier wgn frame under my '50 Coupe. I get a better suspension with disc up front and better ride with good bushings.

Gene
Old August 13th, 2009, 04:28 AM
Past Administrator

Gene, does the wheelbase and tread width match? That is a really good idea and I like that it is kept all Oldsmobile.