The Newbie Forum The place where you should introduce yourself. Do not ask technical questions here, use the site forum sections.

Newbie with a 1972 needing help with blinker problems.

Search this Thread

Old July 8th, 2012, 07:21 PM

When I tested it I only jacked up one side. The boots do look pretty worn.
Old July 8th, 2012, 07:28 PM
Justin

Okay for me if you have both front tires off the ground you can see all the front end components move that are worn as well if you place a jack under the lower. Control arm where the shocks mount and jack it up there place a long bar under the tire and lift up slowly you can test the upper s d lower ball joint

Keep in mind you don't want go wiggle so hard that you feel actual steering movement
Old July 8th, 2012, 07:32 PM

Thats a good idea. I'll try that and see what needs to be replaced. Thanks!
Old July 8th, 2012, 07:35 PM
Justin

No problem
Old July 8th, 2012, 07:45 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

I always ask for pictures, but now I'm thinking a few seconds of video might really help us nail this one down.

It's tough to get visible movement in the upper ball joints unless they're REALLY worn.

- Eric
Old July 8th, 2012, 08:06 PM
Justin

X2 on the video
Old July 8th, 2012, 08:22 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Not sure if I'm reading that right, but if you're getting wobble like that you have a major problem

1. When you say the knuckle moves, does it move at the top AND bottom ball joint?

2. Is there any movement of the center link when you do the test? Your center link and inner tie rod sockets could be shot too.

Could very well be due for replacement on Ball joints too. Most of the time it's the uppers. BTW, you said the outer tie rod was just replaced? Doesn't look like it in that pic.
Old July 8th, 2012, 08:30 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Originally Posted by Allan R
Could very well be due for replacement on Ball joints too.
... And if so, then why didn't the shop that did it notice at the time?
cf: my previous ranting post about incompetent repair shops.

Originally Posted by Allan R
BTW, you said the outer tie rod was just replaced? Doesn't look like it in that pic.
+1.

I'm wondering about this whole thing at this point.

- Eric
Old August 7th, 2012, 07:30 AM

Hey guys! So I took it to a different mechanic who I know and trust, he's just so busy you have to schedule appointments weeks in advances and I didn't think I had the time. Anyway, he made a checklist of what was wrong with the car. I had him write everything down that needed to be fixed.(I would have had him fix it but it took two weeks to get him just to look at it. It would have taken another month for him to work on it.)) Then I took the car back to the mechanics that did the original work and asked if I could see my receipt. They showed it to me and everything that was wrong with it was what they fixed so they fixed it free of charge. Now my car is back to normal. But I do have a new question. I just moved to little rock from fayetteville for a new job. I had to take my cutlass because its my only car. My gas mileage was averaging around 14 mpg's and that was my driving at around 60mph the whole time. Any suggestions on how to improve the gas mileage?
Old August 7th, 2012, 01:23 PM
Justin

I am glad you got it handled

You can always put a smaller engine in lol j/k

To be honest 14 seems pretty good mine gets like 11 miles per gal but I can't seem to keep my foot off the throttle !!
Old August 7th, 2012, 08:07 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by 72Cutlass_442
Hey guys! So I took it to a different mechanic who I know and trust, he's just so busy you have to schedule appointments weeks in advances and I didn't think I had the time. Anyway, he made a checklist of what was wrong with the car. I had him write everything down that needed to be fixed.(I would have had him fix it but it took two weeks to get him just to look at it. It would have taken another month for him to work on it.)) Then I took the car back to the mechanics that did the original work and asked if I could see my receipt. They showed it to me and everything that was wrong with it was what they fixed so they fixed it free of charge. Now my car is back to normal. But I do have a new question. I just moved to little rock from fayetteville for a new job. I had to take my cutlass because its my only car. My gas mileage was averaging around 14 mpg's and that was my driving at around 60mph the whole time. Any suggestions on how to improve the gas mileage?
So warranty lives! Glad they stood up for that.

re: mileage? These older cars aren't really noted for mileage. The only things I would suggest you do:
Clean air filter/replace PCV valve
replace any old vacuum lines that may be leaking
Properly inflated tires/front wheel alignment
Drive at constant speed instead of fluctuating
Fresh spark plugs/wires/cap/rotor& points - then make sure it's tuned for optimum.
You could also change out your rear ring/pinion to 2:56. It will accelerate like a slug but get better mileage.

Have you considered buying an econobox to use as a DD?
Old August 8th, 2012, 04:55 PM

Yeah, I didn't expect them to take responsibility but surprisingly they did.

I think I'll do all of those things except change the rear end. I like its ability to accelerate I feel like its possible to get the car to get 20 mpgs even though it's not really design for fuel economy. The car smells of gasoline but there are no leaks. Its just not running as efficiently as it can. There is alot of fuel that is not being burned I think.
Old August 8th, 2012, 06:00 PM
Just an Olds Guy

One other thing you could do if the car has a 2bbl carb? Change out the intake and carb to 4bbl. They are much more efficient than the 2bbls IMO. I found a slight increase in mileage and big increase in performance when I did that.
Old August 8th, 2012, 06:13 PM

I did that about two years ago and you're right! My mileage was at 8 before. I switched over to a 4bbl and it increased to 14 or so and thats where its staying. Thanks!