The Newbie Forum The place where you should introduce yourself. Do not ask technical questions here, use the site forum sections.

newbie with 1964 F85 Cutlass Need help!

Search this Thread

Old August 18th, 2013, 11:26 AM
Justin

Originally Posted by noclue
Hi everyone,

I'm new to this forum, actually pretty new to being an Olds fan, I knew the "matching numbers" 68-70 442s were out of my league, so this little car is kind of a pleasant (read low-buck) surprise. I drove to west Tennessee a week or so ago to buy the car after seeing it on craigslist. It will soon be in my garage, stored safely for for a year or so (best possible case) or a decade or so (most likely case).
Did you buy the 64 ? Maybe start a newbie thread and alittle about your plans
Old August 18th, 2013, 11:28 AM

It will soon be in my garage, stored safely for for a year or so (best possible case) or a decade or so (most likely case).
I'm not sure I understand. You're going buy this car and then put it in your garage for as long as 10 years without touching it? At best you're going to leave it sitting for a year before doing anything with it?
Old August 18th, 2013, 12:39 PM

'64 Cutlass 330 in TN...

Hi everyone,

Sorry I didn't elaborate more in my first post about buying the '64, but it was late and I was tired and ya ya...

I don't plan to keep the car a year or ten years without touching it...I hope to start bringing it back as soon as I get it to my house. But remember I'm a newbie, to Olds and to resto projects, and I'd like to avoid expensive newbie mistakes whenever possible. I won't be trading that original 330 for a Chevy rat motor anytime soon.

First on the list after getting the car home... pull the seats out, remove the carpeting (it's original, but it's also toast), and get fans going to get moisture out of the car...same deal on the trunk. The trunk already has a replacement pan installed, but it was a "homebrew" job...we're talkin' sheet metal screws. I'd like to salvage the replacement pan, but I'm not counting on it.

Next, stop/stabilize the body rust. It has surface rust in a few areas, so I'll knock that off and primer it so it doesn't get worse. It also has a couple of SERIOUS body cancer issues...bottom right rear quarter and passenger-side door frame at bottom rear. Can't be saved, gotta be fixed...

That should keep me occupied til February or so...after that I'm thinking to start on chrome/brightwork stuff...that way I can avoid the decision of whether to keep the car original factory white, or go to exterior black which would look much cooler and still go with original red interior.

I'm new to this forum and don't yet know how to start a "new" newby thread about my '64, but give me a few days and I'll probably figure it out...

Chuck
Old August 18th, 2013, 12:57 PM
Justin

Hi everyone,

Sorry I didn't elaborate more in my first post about buying the '64, but it was late and I was tired and ya ya...

I don't plan to keep the car a year or ten years without touching it...I hope to start bringing it back as soon as I get it to my house. But remember I'm a newbie, to Olds and to resto projects, and I'd like to avoid expensive newbie mistakes whenever possible. I won't be trading that original 330 for a Chevy rat motor anytime soon.

First on the list after getting the car home... pull the seats out, remove the carpeting (it's original, but it's also toast), and get fans going to get moisture out of the car...same deal on the trunk. The trunk already has a replacement pan installed, but it was a "homebrew" job...we're talkin' sheet metal screws. I'd like to salvage the replacement pan, but I'm not counting on it.

Next, stop/stabilize the body rust. It has surface rust in a few areas, so I'll knock that off and primer it so it doesn't get worse. It also has a couple of SERIOUS body cancer issues...bottom right rear quarter and passenger-side door frame at bottom rear. Can't be saved, gotta be fixed...

That should keep me occupied til February or so...after that I'm thinking to start on chrome/brightwork stuff...that way I can avoid the decision of whether to keep the car original factory white, or go to exterior black which would look much cooler and still go with original red interior.

I'm new to this forum and don't yet know how to start a "new" newby thread about my '64, but give me a few days and I'll probably figure it out...

Chuck

Okay welcome ! When you get a chance make a list post a wanted add depending on where your located , I can point you to a few guys I have bought from. to replace bad parts and save the ones you can
Old August 18th, 2013, 01:45 PM

Good Luck Chuck

Good Luck with the olds brother. Im glad she found a place where she will be loved. I am going to keep my 70 cutlass stored in my friends pavillian until I can get a metal building erected on a nearby lot that I purchased to start resto projects in.

Im glad this 64 will live again. Chuck bought the car from me and drove several hours to get all the way to fulton county kentucky from Chat. tenn.
Old October 8th, 2013, 10:01 PM

New baby comes home!!

Hey everyone...haven't posted in a while as I bought this car over in west Tennessee a couple months ago, and didn't get it home till a week or so ago. Now it's in my garage, exactly where it needs to be...hope the attached pic/s show up okay. For the record, it's a '64 Cutlass (not 442) w/ floor shift auto, PS/PB/AC, mostly intact but needs TLC.

Just like my girlfriend, my kids, and my dog, it's for sale. But this ain't a good time to try to buy it, I grew up near Detroit and it's kinda cool having something that's from before the "Woodward Ave./everyone's got a muscle car" days.

OK, gonna try to attach a pic, then I guess I need to go find a different forum as I'm technically no longer a newbie. I'll prolly figger it out. First question...where's the beer?

Gary...send me them keys, dammit...

Scratch the pic...thought I could just attach the pic from my HDD, didn't know I had to provide a URL to an online pic. What a silly way to go about it...

Chuck
Old October 9th, 2013, 07:18 PM
GM Enthusiast

Well, I am a little late to this thread, but welcome to CO!