The Newbie Forum The place where you should introduce yourself. Do not ask technical questions here, use the site forum sections.

Newb classic Cutlass owner...71 S

Search this Thread

Old September 18th, 2009, 08:48 AM

Newb classic Cutlass owner...71 S

Hey all, I have been an Olds fan for awhile, and having owned countless g-bodies, I met up with a great club in 01 called Aleromod, and also Alero Chapter OCA..tough times caused the part out, and trasding in of the Alero, and vowing to get another Olds, I finally got one. I met a guy who had a 38k miles 71 Cutlass S, and while I was a bit skeptical on that due to some rust on the rear 1/4's, it may or may not be true, but the car is very clean overall, and is a driver. Being laid off, and playing Mr. MOM to 6 kids, I had no more time to go ATV riding, and this guy always wanted an ATV, so we made the deal yesterday, and I drove it home 112 miles with no issues last night. I know there are a few Aleromodders on here, so speak up guys, and I will be doing a bunch of reading on here to update the front to discs, repairing the quarter panels, and deciding what direction I want to go, mild custom mods, or stock.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
71 cutty 1.jpg (72.8 KB, 38 views)
Old September 18th, 2009, 08:57 AM

Welcome

Welcome aboard

post pics pronto please
Old September 18th, 2009, 09:00 AM

I will get outside an take some pics and get some close ups...
Old September 18th, 2009, 09:18 AM

Pics are uploaded into my album...more when I get more time...lol.
Old September 18th, 2009, 09:31 AM
Past Administrator

Welcome to CO.
Old September 18th, 2009, 09:38 AM

Thanks for the welcome...I also love the similar threads list on the bottom...subjects I can relate to right away, onnly how do you put them in order...lol
vinyl top...to save or not to save....sell the spare bumpers and hood, or use them as modifieable pieces..ugh..I would hate to ruin something that could have potential value to someone else.

The plan...wife loves the color, and hate the vinyl top, she wants to add black striping on burnt orange when it gets a re-paint, undecided on where to put the stripes/accents. I have a set of zoomies with the chrome tips from the 70's brand new in the box I have been itching to put on a car for quite some time, and the Cutlass just may be it.
Old September 18th, 2009, 02:27 PM

Talking Welcome to CO

Great place to be with a lot of great people and lots of good info for working on you new ride. Looks like a nice S
Old September 18th, 2009, 02:33 PM

Thanks...I will have to do some searching, but anyone know off hand on a couple places to score some 1/4 panels for a patch job, or is new the only way?
Old May 20th, 2010, 03:54 PM

Updates...well bad news first....Feb 12th 2010, I had been talking to a high school buddy that had done, and been doing bodywork in the past, so long story short...he was gonna take our car, repair rust, paint it, and install a 4wdb kit all for 3500 or so. I agreed when he said he should be able to have it done in 5 weeks..or so...(most of you can figure what happened by now)...so 18" staggered Boss 338 wheels with black centers, 4wdb kit from Matts Classic Camaros, and a freebie gallon of 2007 Corvette Atomic Orange Pearl with lotsa extra pearl added. That alone would have costed 780.00!! I gave him 2000 cash up front so he could get the 1/4 skins that he would chop up for the wheel wells, and sandpaper, and whatever else a body guy needs. Well multiple emails, and weeks and months go by, and May 1st I finally hauled 4 out of our 6 kids up north 120 miles to find out what the hell is going on!...needless to say, when I found the car, it was in a drafty, run down garage on a farm, not in a shop!..it looked like it was taken apart, and left since Feb...doors were off, fenders, hood and decklid. Well I was pissed, and wife will deal with him legally, so I rented a tow dolly, and went back up, and had to put it together just to get it home.(talk about WTF bolts go where???) well anyways, the first thing I wanted to do is get the car home, asses the damage, and figure out how Im going to get the car looking decent, and driveable. Well we may be ordering a left front fender patch panel from tabco. with those things out of the way, I will at least have them, and maybe be able to find someone who is willing to help me out. There are a couple of threads in here I am now following for the disc brake install, I will see if I can upload some pics to the album I started since I have a ton on my facebook page.
Attached Images
cutlassmay1st2010 004.jpg (63.5 KB, 27 views)
cutlassmay15th2010 013.jpg (45.7 KB, 21 views)
DSCF2882.jpg (68.4 KB, 24 views)

Last edited by jturkey69; August 25th, 2010 at 07:11 PM.
Old May 20th, 2010, 04:02 PM

Talking Welcome back to CO

Sad story hope you at least get some of your money back. Nothing worse then friends letting you down. At least you got your car back (with all the pieces I hope). Good luck on your restore. keep us posted on your progress
Old May 20th, 2010, 04:33 PM

geesh, what effing shame! I had a long time friend with a body shop repair & paint some light scuffs and bubbles on my '71. He had previously sprayed a '72 442, and did a beautiful job. But he did a crap job on my car, never got the pinstripes back on, for which I had to find someone else to do it...and has told me 3 different times that he would reimberse me for that. Well, I stopped holding my breath, and tell anyone that I know to avoid him for body and paint work.
Old May 20th, 2010, 06:02 PM
1972 Cutlass 455

Sorry to hear about your situation! That's one of the reasons I am concerned about using one of my "buddies" or a friend of a friend to do paint my 1972 on the side. I hear all the time about things taking months and months while the car sits around, waiting for someone to have some spare time to do it. I used to work in a few body shops, and there was never any "free time". Whenever I have the money to get it painted I am going to take it to a shop where I can light a fire under their *** to get it done.
Old May 20th, 2010, 06:45 PM
GM Enthusiast

Welcome to the forum.
Old May 20th, 2010, 07:44 PM

Originally Posted by silverriff
Sorry to hear about your situation! That's one of the reasons I am concerned about using one of my "buddies" or a friend of a friend to do paint my 1972 on the side. I hear all the time about things taking months and months while the car sits around, waiting for someone to have some spare time to do it. I used to work in a few body shops, and there was never any "free time". Whenever I have the money to get it painted I am going to take it to a shop where I can light a fire under their *** to get it done.
I agree!!!...from now on we will keep the car here in town, and do a hell of alot of research before we bring the car there, and I will never again give cash up front for a "on the side job"! we were never looking for a first rate job as this was going to be driven daily till snow flew, and enjoyed with the amount of money we had.

Last edited by jturkey69; August 25th, 2010 at 07:12 PM.
Old May 20th, 2010, 07:45 PM

Originally Posted by OLD SKL 69
Welcome to the forum.
Thanks!
Old February 8th, 2015, 06:49 PM

Just lil update...this spring...front and rear tubular control arms, headers, and mad max style zoomie exhaust
Attached Images
image.jpg (59.0 KB, 12 views)