The Newbie Forum The place where you should introduce yourself. Do not ask technical questions here, use the site forum sections.

New from St. Louis

Search this Thread

Old April 11th, 2019, 01:28 PM

New from St. Louis

Hello all,

Just a quick note to say "Hi!" and give a little intro. My daughter and I are taking on this '70 SX with a 455, 4bbl Rochester, W30 cam, 10.5 compression, TH400, B&M Magnum shifter and HEI ignition...and almost rust free. The restoration is off to a great start by the previous owner, including the full engine rebuild (shout out to Don if he sees this!). The car was headed for the drag strip when it was given the satin black paint two owners ago, but was rescued just in time. The original hood was opened up for a high-rise intake that never was added so the PO found the gloss black replacement. Paint will be on the to-do list...eventually. It's still running the drop spindles up front and adjustable shocks in the rear.

We've got several details to sort out and I'm sure I will be looking to you all for helpful tips on how best to take care of that beast of an engine. I've done a variety of restorations in the past and my daughter is eager to help and learn. She named it Wednesday after the Addams family character (dressed in black and she will hurt you if you aren't careful

See you in the forums!

Paul and Clio
Old April 11th, 2019, 06:01 PM

Welcome, enjoy your time here. Lots of knowledge and experience. This is the best site there is for Oldsmobile information.
Old April 11th, 2019, 06:07 PM

Welcome! I like her name, "Wednesday." VERY fitting! :-) I really like the blacked-out bumper. I think that is a cool look on these cars.

Good luck with your shared project, and don't forget to post lots of pics along the way :-)

Rich
Old April 11th, 2019, 07:18 PM
Administrator

Welcome, nice car. How old is your daughter?
Old April 11th, 2019, 07:40 PM

Welcome to the group! I think that's great that you and your daughter will be turning wrenches together.

We also share something in common...my 72 was a drag racer in one of its former lives. So as you said, I've spent the last 10 months "working out the details" to get it where I want it. And, as you can see, it also wears a black rear bumper.

The people on this site have been great with helping me along my journey, and I hope you find your journey as rewarding as I have found mine.

Good luck, and of you need any help, we're here for ya!😀

Dave

Old April 14th, 2019, 12:59 PM

Thanks for the welcome guys! My daughter is 18 and has been wrenching with me for the last 3 years. Her first big success was rebuilding the 2150 carb on a '78 F100...no leaks and started like a champ!

On the black rear bumper, it is "self-correcting" back to chrome as the poorly applied paint seems to flake off with little more than brushing up against it!

I will definitely get more pics up as we go. Next job is front shocks...it's very squish on the highway currently.
Old April 15th, 2019, 03:17 AM
Administrator

Sounds like she's well on her way to becoming one of the old car afflicted. Start a build thread so we all can follow along on your journey.