The Newbie Forum The place where you should introduce yourself. Do not ask technical questions here, use the site forum sections.

New to the site

Search this Thread

Old August 5th, 2019, 07:20 PM
69442 Gig Harbor

New to the site

Greetings,
I am a new owner of a 1969 Olds 442 4 speed, convertible in Gig Harbor, WA. I also have a 67 Mustang convertible, but that's another story! I enjoy doing a lot of work on cars, and have changed timing belts, brakes, and replaced engines. As a kid, I was quite involved in Auto Shop and rebuilt numerous VW's, and other cars of our friends. I do almost all of the PM on all of my cars. I know what my limits are, and have taken my cars to the proper shop when needed. In 2009, I took a year off and built a man cave garage with tall ceilings. I also acquired a drive on lift which allows me to have my 442 "up" and other cars parked underneath. Except for the occasional oil drip on the car below, it works really well--especially the wood stove in winter! I am still assessing the 442. It was built in New Jersey, was purchased new by an Army Sargent in up state New York, according to the excellent documentation I received with the car. The car found it's way to the Minneapolis area where it had the engine removed and repaired in the 1990's. I attempted to write to the rebuild company, but instead got a great call from the current occupant at that address-- a software Company, who had no idea where the owners of the rebuild company were.!! You think it would be a rust bucket, but so far I have found only surface rust in some areas. The 400 cu in engine and 4 speed serial numbers match the VIN, and the rear end, although not posi, is a "O" version at 3.23:1. I have been searching for a 442, 4 speed, convertible for over a year. I attended Barrett Jackson in Scottsdale this last January, but all the 442's went for more than I was willing to pay! My use for the car is cruising locally with friends, participating in car shows, rallys and general fun--no racing! I am looking to use the forum to share learnings and learn from other Olds experts! I am interested in others experience with the 69 400--the "out of square" engine. Mine has a ton of torque, but I am cautious about higher RPM's.
For my purpose, torque matters more than HP. I look forward to working with you! Dave Ringlee, Gig Harbor WA
Old August 5th, 2019, 07:52 PM
Administrator

Welcome to the site, post some pictures.
Old August 5th, 2019, 07:58 PM

Welcome, and yep, we like pictures.
Old August 5th, 2019, 08:04 PM
Olds Fever

Welcome to the group... Congrats on the recent acquisition of your 69 442... Now about that year off to build a man cave garage - I can only imagine the end result...